Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2015, 11:17 PM   #1

Decisions....decisions...

Let's see....just spent megabucks on new fiver,....plus Goosebox,......plus B&W turnoverball,...plus ball extender.

Now,...before I hit the road, I need new tires because ya just can't trust the Oem tires....but not just any tire, them G614's are almost $400 each,..$1600 a set. And even though I'm buying high dollar tires,..(14 ply no less), I really can't trust them, so I better buy a nice tpms..$400 +/-

And then there's that stinkin surge protector at $340..okay...ready to hit the road now...no?...but we need to take the bikes..okay, couple Benjamin's for a bike rack. Now there's the 303 aerospace, after all,...I gotta look good on the hwy..

Wait, better spring for insurance at $586/year...(I live in Louisiana...the most sue crazy state in the union)
Oh yeah, gotta buy another battery cuz the dealer made a mess out of the wiring, and he's 5 hours away...plus asundry other maintenance items missed on that famous pdi.
Is it just me, or is there a pattern developing here? Oh wait,...better look at that extended warranty...just in case.

Man, I'm glad diesel is no longer $4/gallon, or we'd just have to camp out in the driveway.

If I were to set up a "gofundme" site, could Ya'll help, or did you just order a new surge protector and a tpms also? Jk

Now where did I put that bike rack assembly manual? Are we having fun yet?
Old 08-15-2015, 11:21 PM   #2

I sure would like a nice back up camera..how much? $450? Doesn't sound that bad if you say it fast...

I wonder how much those little blue LED's cost me....those that I just cut the wires to?
Old 08-16-2015, 12:02 AM   #3

My Swift Hitch was $199 if that's any consolation. I feel your pain !
Old 08-16-2015, 01:47 AM   #4

Daviddg
Same point I made in another thread a few months back. Got along fine without all of the "much needed add ons" for many years. We can become very fanatical if not careful & spend our way out of an otherwise enjoyable pastime. Won't get into my opinion on the many things we think we can't along without, just will say I don't buy into most of them. Enjoy the camping experience, use good common sense & have fun.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
I sure would like a nice back up camera..how much? $450? Doesn't sound that bad if you say it fast...

I wonder how much those little blue LED's cost me....those that I just cut the wires to?

Best backup camera in the world is DW with a phone at back of camper

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Best backup camera in the world is DW with a phone at back of camper

I agree 100%; but she uses hand signals instead of the phone. We our on are third fiver and I have never had an accident backing up with my DW at the rear of the trailer.

Some things you need to decide if it is toy or really needed a back-up camera is a toy as far as I am concerned.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:21 PM   #7

I have a Furrion back up camera on my C/C, it came on camper, DW is ten times better. I just can't tell her that

Old 08-16-2015, 04:35 PM   #8

Camping is what we make of it and the enjoyment of being away with family......

I am running just fine with OEM tires, my 5th wheel hitch is a 6 year old used Reese, no back up camera, not needed, no tire monitor system (good idea maybe), still using the interstate battery that came with the camper (3 years old we do not boondock), surge protector ($199 good idea to have never needed one in 30 years but it's like having insurance), don't care what the trailer looks like to others this is not a fashion show, when bikes are along throw them in the back of the truck or inside (no bike rack needed). The truck is 10+ years old runs great, but its not pretty.

Our first camper was $500 and I had to put it back together, it was ugly, our current trailer was $29K,.... guess what we had just as many good times in the first one as we do in the current one that's why after 30 years we are still camping.

Most campers are great people that you meet see for a week & never see them again I do not care whether they think I don't have 2 cents to rub together or a million dollars.

You can go camping for less than 10K or you can spend 100K. That's entirely up to you.

Being away with family priceless.................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:10 PM   #9

I'm with you Oaklevel. We can keep it simple & enjoy or we can spend ourselves right out of a good time with our loved ones. This is my 5th RV & other than the essentials, the only extra I have bought is a $100 surge guard. Always used the OEM tires, no back-up cam, no TPMS, same bike rack on all 5, etc., etc., & have had no issues because of my failure to over equip. It has worked for me for over 15 years. Best of luck to all which ever avenue you take. Be safe, use common sense & HAPPY CAMPING!!!!
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:47 PM   #10

TPMS is just piece of mind, it only takes one time, just like insurance you don't need it till you have a accident. But to each his own. Same way with a good surge suppressor you don't need until something goes wrong. When I meet new people at a campground TPMS and surge suppressor I don't talk about, about the weather and where they are from and where they have camped at, now that's what I talk about

Old 08-16-2015, 08:50 PM   #11

Every time we go camping, we come home with a list of things to buy. We actually make a written list. Then we do some researching, some discussing and decide what we REALLY need at the time as the necessities (the new tires, water pressure regulator, water filter, surge protector, jt strongarms, vent covers, better sewer connections and centipede, etc) came first. We are now at the point of getting "convenience" items instead of necessities, so for us, it's no rush to buy them. We also have a budget that we really try to abide by.

Last time we went camping, one of our friends went to her camper the first night of a 5 day trip and ordered 4 or 5 things we had discussed around the campfire and they were waiting at her front door step when she got home a few days later. DH and I have to plan a little more and in that planning and discussing and googling and budgeting time, some of the things we thought we wanted, we realized didn't really need or at least don't need NOW.

So just take your time. Investigate, research, talk to others, mind your budget and have fun!!
Old 08-17-2015, 05:14 AM   #12

DW says some we can buy if we need it, some things I want to buy I have to save for. I want a new tv, a Sony 3d 49in, new DVD player, queen size bed, new sound bar, the list goes on. DW says I am never satisfied

Old 08-17-2015, 05:28 AM   #13

Don't forget about the two recliners to replace the uncomfortable couch that came in coach.

Setting at Lambrights in Shipshewana right now to get our new recliners today.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:15 AM   #14

X2

Old 08-19-2015, 05:47 PM   #15

I'm still trying to teach my doberman to talk so he can warn me before I back into a tree. In the mean time, the back up camera is a big help.