Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2014, 12:27 PM   #51
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goukcats View Post
Currently there is only one ST tire that is not manufactured in China. That is Maxxis & they are made in Thailand. Supposedly because of new import tariffs effective next year; many tire manufacturers are beginning to move their tire molds to other countries. A distributor for Carlisle stated they were moving ST production from China to Korea. If this is true, it hasn't happened yet because Carlisle doesn't show any tires manufactured in Korea. I recently purchased Maxxis for our 5er & considered GY G614 but 2 reputable tire dealers recommended against them for that application.
The Goodyear website shows the G614 as a RV tire and I imagine they know a little more than a tire dealer.
http://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/ti...rodline=160007
__________________

__________________
'15 Columbus 295RL
2015 Ford F350 with 6.7 PSD

2014: camped 12 nights
johndeerefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:56 PM   #52
Site Team
 
dcheatwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,379
Johndeerefarmer. There is a difference in st tires and RV tires. ST are "special trailer", RV is for motor homes. Im thinking goukcats was referring to trailer tires. IMO.
__________________

__________________
2013 Rockwood 8282WS
Reese Revolution Pin, Reese 16K
2008 Tundra Limited Double Cab 5.7L
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:23 PM   #53
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Durango, Colorado
Posts: 23
Well, if you believe whatever all the tire manufactures say, then you should keep the RV tires you get when you pick up your new RV.
GY used to make their Marathons in China, and they were terrible. My Glendale 5th wheel came with those in a Load D, and everyone on the owners site were having blowouts. I changed them immediately to a Load E, BFGoodrich Commercial T/A, and never had a problem in over 35k miles.

I just pulled the Chinese Trail Express Load C's off my brand new Flagstaff, can't believe they put C's on them. Put a Load D Maxxix 8008. I hope they are good....


Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
The Goodyear website shows the G614 as a RV tire and I imagine they know a little more than a tire dealer.
Truck Tire Selector, Retreading, and Technology | Goodyear Commercial Truck Tire Systems
__________________
animas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
jtownstumpjumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Jonesboro AR--Home of Arkansas State University and the Red Wolves
Posts: 507
Ok...still fairly new to RVs....been reading and following this and other tire threads......bought a new 2014 Cedar Creek Silverback 33RL in October....only got to pull it 500 miles before we winterized......ours came with Mastertrack Power Towing ST235/80R16 with a Load Range E.....am I running a decent tire....comments please.
__________________
Lloyd & Kathy & Kit(18 yr old cat)
2018 Forest River Palomino Columbus 383FB
2016 Chevy 3500HD SRW Z71 LTZ 4WD Crew Cab, DuraMax/Allison.
2014 - 38 nights/3500 mi.; 2015 - 66 nights/6260 mi.; 2016 - 44 nights/6106 mi.
2017-59 nights/5901 mi.
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:34 PM   #55
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Johndeerefarmer. There is a difference in st tires and RV tires. ST are "special trailer", RV is for motor homes. Im thinking goukcats was referring to trailer tires. IMO.
The website says "even wear in demanding trailer applicatios" not Motorhome tires. ST tires have something in the rubber to help prevent UV light hurting them so soon. There is nothing special about ST tires other than most are junk.
__________________
'15 Columbus 295RL
2015 Ford F350 with 6.7 PSD

2014: camped 12 nights
johndeerefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
Taranwanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by animas View Post
Well, if you believe whatever all the tire manufactures say, then you should keep the RV tires you get when you pick up your new RV.
GY used to make their Marathons in China, and they were terrible. My Glendale 5th wheel came with those in a Load D, and everyone on the owners site were having blowouts. I changed them immediately to a Load E, BFGoodrich Commercial T/A, and never had a problem in over 35k miles.

I just pulled the Chinese Trail Express Load C's off my brand new Flagstaff, can't believe they put C's on them. Put a Load D Maxxix 8008. I hope they are good....
The BFG Commercial TAs in 235/85R16 have a load index of 120, which means they can carry 3100 pounds each. The same size ST tire (for example, my stocker, Westlake 235/80R16) have a load rating of 3500 pounds. You were upgrading from "D" to "E," so you probably wound up with a tire that could carry more weight than what you had on there before. I'm glad you haven't had any issues with upgrading to the BFGs, but there's no way I'm replacing my ST tires with any tire of the same size (LT or otherwise) that can carry less weight. And I can't go up a size because I don't have the room between the axles. So I'm stuck with ST tires.
__________________
2015 XLR Hyperlite 30HFS5 (mods being performed regularly)
2009 Salem LA 292fkds (gone)
Nights- ('12)23 ('13)23 ('14)15 ('15)31 ('16)27 ('17) 20
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
Scootdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Western New York
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
The BFG Commercial TAs in 235/85R16 have a load index of 120, which means they can carry 3100 pounds each. The same size ST tire (for example, my stocker, Westlake 235/80R16) have a load rating of 3500 pounds. You were upgrading from "D" to "E," so you probably wound up with a tire that could carry more weight than what you had on there before. I'm glad you haven't had any issues with upgrading to the BFGs, but there's no way I'm replacing my ST tires with any tire of the same size (LT or otherwise) that can carry less weight. And I can't go up a size because I don't have the room between the axles. So I'm stuck with ST tires.
How did your Westlakes hold out? Everyone talks about Maxxis and Marathon tires. I am looking at getting the Maxxis for my 5th wheel.
__________________
2014 F-150 SuperCrew
2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond
Scootdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #58
Senior Member
 
Taranwanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,446
My Westlakes only have about 500 miles or so on them so far. No surprises yet, but there will be a TPMS system going on there soon. I'm going to try to make it to Florida and back for bike week with them on, I'll be bringing two spares with me. Then I'll probably replace them with the Goodyears.
__________________
2015 XLR Hyperlite 30HFS5 (mods being performed regularly)
2009 Salem LA 292fkds (gone)
Nights- ('12)23 ('13)23 ('14)15 ('15)31 ('16)27 ('17) 20
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:01 PM   #59
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
The BFG Commercial TAs in 235/85R16 have a load index of 120, which means they can carry 3100 pounds each. The same size ST tire (for example, my stocker, Westlake 235/80R16) have a load rating of 3500 pounds. You were upgrading from "D" to "E," so you probably wound up with a tire that could carry more weight than what you had on there before. I'm glad you haven't had any issues with upgrading to the BFGs, but there's no way I'm replacing my ST tires with any tire of the same size (LT or otherwise) that can carry less weight. And I can't go up a size because I don't have the room between the axles. So I'm stuck with ST tires.
The Goodyear G614 LT235/85R16 G in your size is rated at 3750 lbs if your rim can handle 110psi.
__________________
'15 Columbus 295RL
2015 Ford F350 with 6.7 PSD

2014: camped 12 nights
johndeerefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:05 PM   #60
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Durango, Colorado
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
The Goodyear G614 LT235/85R16 G in your size is rated at 3750 lbs if your rim can handle 110psi.
If you keep your rims, be sure to stay within their rating. They should have their pressure limits stamped on the inside. On a trailer that has a C tire, like mine, going up to a D isn't a problem. Jumping up to a E is, well, a jump, and I would guess that your wheel or rim is not rated for 80 psi (for a typical E tire).

I haven't read all your previous posts, so I don't know what Load rated tire your trailer came with, or what your trailer weighs. I think it is always a good general idea to go up one Load rating, but 2 or 3 is most likely requiring a change of rims, and probably going beyond what your trailer max rating would require in the first place. You are also increasing weights when skipping load upward by more than one. Both tires and rims weigh more as you go up in sizes, keep that in mind as you don't want to stress axles and undercarriage parts with heavier after market parts. Bottom line, I really don't think you need to skip load ranges more than 1, from what the manufacture speced.
__________________

__________________
animas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
forest river, replacement, tire, tires

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 PM.