Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2014, 11:10 AM   #21

Searching for check stub from reimbursement, emails, contact names etc. Do you have contact info so I can email to you?
Sharon.72064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:37 PM   #22

We have just completed a remodel at home, so all my files are in boxes. I will do the best I can with my story without receits. June 2015 we purchased a 2015 Flagstaff TT. After a return trip from Yellowstone, my husband started figuring out the weight allowed for these 14" C rated tires. He call FR in July, spoke to Chris Chollowell. My husband complained about the cheap tires FR had on their trailers. Mr. Chollowell agreed. When my husband asked if they could reimburse something if we upgraded the tires. He said (a close quote to what he said), I'm so glad you asked. We are not allowed to suggest or mention it, but when the customer brings up that question, we can allow $75.00 per tire. He said to email him @ chollowell@forestriverinc.com & give him the last 7 digits of the vin#. Take a pic. of old tires on trailer, and a pic. of new tires on trailer. Also send a receipt of new tires. We could not find anywhere that sold 14" D rated TT tires, so ordered online @ etrailer.com They were Karrier tires, and we did all the reviewing for those tires. As with all tires, 50/50 in pros vs cons. Than we took the trailer to a local tires place and had them mounted. We received a $300.00 check in the mail. In fact, received two checks a month apart! I assumed they made a mistake and that $300.00 was someone eles. As it was, I was told when I called to report it. So, looks like we are not the only ones getting this reimbursment. It's quite possible that too many were doing this and they put a stop to it? I just know we got $300.00, sold our 4 tires, and almost broke even.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:57 PM   #23

Well it seems that if and what Forest River was or still is offering doesn't apply to everyone. In fact just before we decided to buy our trailer I phoned Forest River and was transferred to the Rockwood warranty girl and she assured me that ALL 2015 Wind Jammers were coming with D range tires. When mine showed up with C range tires I phoned her back and she denied ever saying this.
I just want to add that she was very helpful answering all my questions and she was very polite as well when I first phoned about any concerns I had when I first talked with her. However not so much on the tire issue.

Like I said if you and some others have gotten this, good for you and them. I am just really disapointed how I have been treated. Not sure if this is because of where we are at, the dealer or what. I have always talked to anyone when dealing with Forest River with the utmost respect and been very polite. Maybe that is what the problem is!!! I have some warranty issues coming up on the rest of the trailer and sure hope that they don't get treated the way this has been.
Anyways thanks for the information and good luck with your trailer.
Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:08 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not a tire expert so somebody help me out....will a tire with a C rating have that somewhere on the tire? (Mine is in the lot so I'll have to drive out and look at the China Bombs and see.)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
I'm not a tire expert so somebody help me out....will a tire with a C rating have that somewhere on the tire? (Mine is in the lot so I'll have to drive out and look at the China Bombs and see.)
Yes it will.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #26

CRick Yes it will be on the tire! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #27

We looked at alot of trailers and first question we asked was are those C or D rated tires. Lot of the salesmen didn't know, the rest said D. My husband would look on tire & always see that they were C rated. And by the way....the dealers had nothing to do with our reimbursment on upgrade.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:20 PM   #28

Maxxis or Goodyear and this would be over or Greatly reduced! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #29

I was told by the factory rep for rockwood when I asked the question. Why don't you offer an up graded tire from the trail express "C" rated? His answer in front of 30 people on the tour was, "If we offered a up graded tire it would be saying that we are not putting on a quality tire." That was the answer from the Rockwood manager of the plant in 2013.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:07 PM   #30

Well I did some research and discovered something!!!! The weight difference between C rated (6 ply ) and D rated ( 8 ply ) is 9 tenths of a pound, hence a weight savings of 3.6 pounds. The difference between C rated ( 6 ply ) and
E rated ( 10 ply ) is 2.0 pounds per tire totaling a whopping 8.0 pounds !!!!

Now we all know that these are lite weight and ultra lite weight trailers. That being said here is my conclusion.

C rated ( 6 ply) = Ultra Lite Weight

D rated (8 ply ) = Lite Weight

E rated ( 10 ply ) = A Travel Trailer or 5th Wheel that one can use with some
piece of mind and safety.

Does that sound about right?
I discover they're just
REGULAR DONUTS !!!!!
coffeebean43140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean43140 View Post
Well I did some research and discovered something!!!! The weight difference between C rated (6 ply ) and D rated ( 8 ply ) is 9 tenths of a pound, hence a weight savings of 3.6 pounds. The difference between C rated ( 6 ply ) and

Now we all know that these are lite weight and ultra lite weight trailers. That being said here is my conclusion.

E Rating sounds good to me
Scootdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:53 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean43140 View Post

Great conclusion, now send that to FR...

Old 10-30-2014, 07:04 PM   #33

Remember that some rims will not take high PSI. Make sure that the E+ rated tire will not cause problems. GY puts out a good "G" rated tire for higher speed and 90-110 psi.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #34

I have the "G" rated Marathons on my equipment trailer and the wheels are definitly different. Wheels will have a "DOT stamp on the outside edge of the bead area showing the max pressure they will hold.This applys to steel wheels,dont know how they do it on aluminum wheels,but to be DOT approved it has to be on there somewhere. I swapped the wheels and tires so I know my wheels are good for the "E" tires.It doesnt do any good to have "E" tires on "D" wheels,its actually a dangerous situation.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:32 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
I have the "G" rated Marathons on my equipment trailer and the wheels are definitly different. Wheels will have a "DOT stamp on the outside edge of the bead area showing the max pressure they will hold.This applys to steel wheels,dont know how they do it on aluminum wheels,but to be DOT approved it has to be on there somewhere.
IT is stamped on the inside of the rim, sometimes the tire has to be removed to to see it. I know on my rims the 06 HTW are 60 psi. I installed "D" rated GY Marathons which has a 65 lb. PSI per there charts. You can also get it off the manufactures web site. But did not see it until they pulled the tire off. But I knew from the web site already. The 65 PSI is well over the weight that my trailer listed weight per axle is.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:19 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Maxxis or Goodyear and this would be over or Greatly reduced! Youroo!!
I have bought a lot of equipment in my life, tractor/trailers, construction and personel vehicles. This is the first rv that I have bought and it has been something else. I guess if everyone keeps accepting what these companies put out they will keep putting it out.
Not one of the above did I ever have to worry about tires blowing up. May have had some other issues but the oem's looked after it right away.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #37

I emailed Chris Howell about the tires on my EVO because one of the tires actually has a dent in the sidewall and the trailer has only been used twice. He pretty much just told me to contact the dealer and he doesn't handle EVOs...only Flagstaff and Rockwood. I asked him who at Forest River handles EVos and his reply was "I do not show Evo as a Forest River product. Is that the complete name of the trailer brand?" He doesn't even know which brands his company makes, I don't think he will be much help.

2015 Evo 2700
2017 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4.10
Evo2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #38
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Isn't the evo a "west coast" only unit?

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #39

The California division told me they don't warranty tires at all and I need to go through the tire manufacturer.

2015 Evo 2700
2017 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4.10
Evo2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo2700 View Post
The California division told me they don't warranty tires at all and I need to go through the tire manufacturer.
You'd have to go thru the tire manufacturer if it was a car or truck for warranty.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, replacement, tire, tires