Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2011, 10:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesm
Here is what we should do: The world should tell the oil companies that we will pay them $20.00 per barrel for the oil! if they say no who else would buy it?
China. Their appetite for oil exceeds ours. Just paid $3.40 for diesel. No reason diesel is more than gas other than because they can get it.
rcpd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #22

I feel for those that have diesel vehicles, i myself have a gas engine. In the past diesel has all ways been cheaper then gas and the only time that there was an increase in diesel was during the Winter because of home heating oil.
Now that there is more of a demand for diesel because of more of use are buying diesel vehicles, but this isn't the only cause of the price increase more people are buy on line so there are more home deliveries, your State and federal sales tax have increased now people are being charged an added fuel charge for services.....This on going.

Now correct me if i am wrong, my understanding is that diesel is the first thing that comes from crude oil and is cheaper to make, the second thing is that it cost more to refine crude into gasoline.

Less face it we are stuck and until we come up with an alternative fuel and the fuel companies can be stopped from intertfering with this development we will pay the price and my out look is that it is going to get worse.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Crude prices are a direct function of the value of the US dollar. As the dollar drops the price of crude increases. Oil prices are stated in US dollars so as our currency drops in value, the price of oil goes up. In theory the dropping US dollar will make imports more expensive and increase employment in the US. That's the theory at least. My guess is that US prices will see diesel somewhere in the $4.50 range and gas in the $4 range. Just a guess on my part. We are still going to plan a major trip this summer and another one next summer. If I do a 10,000 mile trip and I get 10 miles to the gallon then a $1 increase in diesel will mean my trip will cost an extra $1,000. If I can't afford that cost then I shouldn't be travelling. I'm sure I can find somewhere else to cut to come up with those $$ if I need to.
This is also the reason for the current "bull market" Stocks, gold, silver, oil, etc. all are commodities that are priced in dollars. As the value of the US dollar (USD) on the world market falls, the stuff that the dollar buys becomes more expensive. Since the payroll (in dollars) has not increased (how the government reports inflation) our buying power is reduced. It is the "hidden tax" on the economy. 1/100 ounce of gold at 65 dollars an ounce in 1970 bought a loaf of bread. In 2010 1/100 ounce of gold at 1400 dollars an ounce still buys that loaf of bread. QED
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #24

"Now correct me if i am wrong, my understanding is that diesel is the first thing that comes from crude oil and is cheaper to make, the second thing is that it cost more to refine crude into gasoline."

that was true before low sulfur and now ultra low sulfur diesel. another process is added to remove the sulfur to meet the 15 part per million spec.
diesel is the product right under Kerosene in an atmospheric topping unit (first processing unit). from there it use to go straight to product. now some of it goes to a hydrotreater before going to product.

gasoline is a blend from several product streams. primarily, diesel (Light Gas Oil) and/or HGO are cracked to get gasoline as well as other things ie propane, butane, etc. the short answer, gasoline goes thru more processes.

diesel still offers more energy/volume.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
"Now correct me if i am wrong.
Jim,

Here are two articles that explain the process much better than I can.
My Chemistry degree from Villanova University is a bit dated but refining has not changed much.

There are two sources of very high quality "Light Sweet Crude." The "light" part means a high percentage of low boiling point organics (thus yields a better percentage of fuel products) and "Sweet" which means VERY low percentages of Sulphur bearing compounds.

Most Light Sweet Crude being used today comes from Venezuela, England, and Libya. The North Sea source is almost gone and England has now become a net importer of oil for the first time since oil first started being pumped out of it.

The Arabian Shield crude is mostly "Light Sour" or high in Sulphur. It is very expensive to "de-sulphate" for use in diesel.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf refining.pdf (431.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: pdf Crude Oil Fractions.pdf (37.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 01-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Jim,

Here are two articles that explain the process much better than I can.
My Chemistry degree from Villanova University is a bit dated but refining has not changed much.

There are two sources of very high quality "Light Sweet Crude." The "light" part means a high percentage of low boiling point organics (thus yields a better percentage of fuel products) and "Sweet" which means VERY low percentages of Sulphur bearing compounds.

Most Light Sweet Crude being used today comes from Venezuela, England, and Libya. The North Sea source is almost gone and England has now become a net importer of oil for the first time since oil first started being pumped out of it.

the overview explamation is very good. even had the H-Oil that i worked 5

The Arabian Shield crude is mostly "Light Sour" or high in Sulphur. It is very expensive to "de-sulphate" for use in diesel.
the refinery overview is a good explanation. Even had the H-Oil (synthetic crude oil unit) in it on p.17. i worked 5 yrs in it.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #27

Diesel in Arizona

I just filled up and paid $3.099 for Diesel.
Reg Gas is running $2.899

That trip to Branson MO in the spring will be getting more and more expensive. Oh well.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #28
Site Team - Lou

Leaving for Florida at the end of the month.
Not looking forward to that diesel bill either.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Leaving for Florida at the end of the month.
Not looking forward to that diesel bill either.
I just checked on a trip planner and it seems the diesel prices will be lower as you get out of PA. and further south. But it still looks like $3.199 to $3.259 is a good ballpark price.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:39 AM   #30

Filled up yesterday in North Little Rock, AR for $3.12, but on the interstate not more than 10 miles from this Kroger station it was $3.39. If you have the time and a GPS that gives you fuel prices you can save some money. Of course the big question is why?
Reese 18K hitch - Garmin 1690 GPS
2008 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Long Box, Smartair
Nights camped in 2011: 120
Traveler II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler II View Post
Filled up yesterday in North Little Rock, AR for $3.12, but on the interstate not more than 10 miles from this Kroger station it was $3.39. If you have the time and a GPS that gives you fuel prices you can save some money. Of course the big question is why?

Take a look at this site. I use it whenever I travel.
You can enter a zip code, city or a state and then you can select diesel or regular gas, etc. It also has a great feature TRIP Calculator that you enter your start and finish of your trip and it will find the lowest price of fuel on your trip. You enter your vehicle and tank size as well as MPG and it calculates the total trip.

Phoenix Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Arizona

Let me know if it works for you.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #32

Tulsa, Ok area diesel yesterday and for the last week to 10 days $3.07.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBFIDY View Post
Tulsa, Ok area diesel yesterday and for the last week to 10 days $3.07.
WOW! Usually OK is the lowest in the nation.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #34
Wanna Be Camper

Man I feel so sorry for you guy south of the border having to pay those prices NOT. Sorry, I just can't seem to find it in my heart to feel for you when we have been paying north of $4.00 a gallon for diesel and almost $5.00 a gallon for gas for a long long time and we are now over $5.10 a gallon for both. I gave up complaining along time ago when I came to realize not all the thieves are in jail, most are either politicians or in the oil industry. Everyone might as well find something productive to do with their time like earning the extra money required to pay the fuel bills instead of complaining because that obviously isn't working to drop the prices.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #35
Site Team - Lou

Just when you think you have it bad; some joker comes along with a worse tale.

My dad use to do this the all the time!
The old joke about walking to school comes to mind.
Dad? Can I borrow the car to drive to school?
"Ha! When I was YOUR age I had to walk to school!"
Then grandpa chips in with "Shoes? At least YOU had shoes!"
Old 01-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #36
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Just when you think you have it bad; some joker comes along with a worse tale.

My dad use to do this the all the time!
The old joke about walking to school comes to mind.
Dad? Can I borrow the car to drive to school?
"Ha! When I was YOUR age I had to walk to school!"
Then grandpa chips in with "Shoes? At least YOU had shoes!"

As they say "One in Every Crowd eh"

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #37
Site Team - Lou

For Sure! Eh?
Old 01-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

You know, we do really have it lucky here in the USA. John and Debbie and our other Canadian friends are paying much more for gas and diesel. I have noticed in my travels to the Caribbean that many places have been in the $4 to $5 range for a long time......it is little hard to figure exactly, since they charge by the liter. Europe has had high gas prices for a long time also. It is finally catching up to us.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #39
Site Team - Lou

I did not mean to imply otherwise. Higher fuel prices do have benefits that may not appear so to those of us who have had subsidized fuel prices for years.

Smaller, more efficient cars for one. Less dependence on oil based fuels for energy production for another. While not a "tree hugger" by any stretch, I do understand where fuel for my house and car comes from and what makes electricity run out of my outlets.

We all want bigger and more powerful cars and politicians know that making that possible gets them elected and RE-elected. Funny how when fuel hits 5 bucks a gallon folks start talking about Hybrids and Electric cars, but let the fuel drop back to 2 bucks for a couple of months and that Volt gets traded for a BMW (or an new GMC 3500 Dually).
Old 01-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Funny how when fuel hits 5 bucks a gallon folks start talking about Hybrids and Electric cars, but let the fuel drop back to 2 bucks for a couple of months and that Volt gets traded for a BMW (or an new GMC 3500 Dually).
I have seen that so many times. I also notice as the fuel prices go up, many people drive more conservative, trying to save gas. Why the heck can't they do the same thing when prices are down ??? I make it a point to drive conservatively all of the time. I am convinced that if everyone drove to maximize their gas mileage, then our dependence on foreign oil would drop significantly.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote