Old 01-07-2011, 03:23 PM   #41
Site Team - Lou

That is SO true! Below 3.50 around here just watch out. You are gonna get run over. Over 4 bucks and they let Grandma drive.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
Man I feel so sorry for you guy south of the border having to pay those prices NOT. Sorry, I just can't seem to find it in my heart to feel for you when we have been paying north of $4.00 a gallon for diesel and almost $5.00 a gallon for gas for a long long time and we are now over $5.10 a gallon for both. I gave up complaining along time ago when I came to realize not all the thieves are in jail, most are either politicians or in the oil industry. Everyone might as well find something productive to do with their time like earning the extra money required to pay the fuel bills instead of complaining because that obviously isn't working to drop the prices.
What's always been hard for me to figure is that we're an oil exporting country and have some of the highest prices in the world for petroleum products....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #43

we imported <5% in 1965. imported oil was $2/bbl and US oil was $5. I'm told we import over 50% now (i'm having problems with that number so u may want to check me out).
Oil cost the same world wide: same in Canada, Europe, etc. we import more oil from Canada than any other country. we also import some of our finished products. Now we also import Ethanol.
the refiner makes abt $4 on a bbl of oil. the gov makes over $55/bbl...which goes for our highway system.
i have a hybrid, an extended length suv, and diesel pickup. u have to look at what u move when comparing which cost less. each vehicle has its place.
crude oil and finished product prices are the same world wide. so why is it more expensive in some countries? still think its the oil cos?
Old 01-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #44
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
we imported <5% in 1965. imported oil was $2/bbl and US oil was $5. I'm told we import over 50% now (i'm having problems with that number so u may want to check me out).
Oil cost the same world wide: same in Canada, Europe, etc. we import more oil from Canada than any other country. we also import some of our finished products. Now we also import Ethanol.
the refiner makes abt $4 on a bbl of oil. the gov makes over $55/bbl...which goes for our highway system.
i have a hybrid, an extended length suv, and diesel pickup. u have to look at what u move when comparing which cost less. each vehicle has its place.
crude oil and finished product prices are the same world wide. so why is it more expensive in some countries? still think its the oil cos?
Jim,
What is the source you used for "the refiner makes abt $4 on a bbl of oil. the gov makes over $55/bbl"? It just does not sound right to me.

I also believe we were a net exporter still in 1965 no? I will look around and let you know what I find.

V/r
Lou

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 01-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #45

Price of fuel hurts but for me the high price of crude helps. I drill oil wells in Canada and when crude is up I work and can afford these luxuries, like camping. Averaging over 60,000 km per year, I burn a little diesel fuel.
2005 Brute Force 750
And most importantly, a loving wife, 2 year old son and a NEW BABY GIRL NOV.30 (I do it all for them!)
rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #46
Site Team - Lou

This interactive graph will kick your butt! It is crude oil price per gallon in USD "corrected for inflation" from 1968 to present.

EIA - Short-Term Energy Outlook

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 01-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #47

the refiner's profits were what were quoted to us by the oil co that i worked for. i know we did quiet well when oil was going to 140/bbl. last year, the refiners made very little. it seems to be that it's either feast or famine. if u consider that we ran 435000 bbls/day, $2mm/day is realistic if u look at their reported numbers. (the company ran more than that when u add in the other smaller refineries).
the numbers for the gov, is simply taking $0.5/gal and multiplying it by 42. unfortunately, 42 would be overstating the amt of motor fuel. the taxed amt would probably be closer to 18 gal/bbl. the yeild would depend on the crude and not all is taxed.
the imported % was hear say...that's why i'm having problems with those nos. what i've found is that the top 4 or 5 account for 80% of what we import but that doesn't tell what % of what we run is imported.

crude oil and finished products are traded on the world market.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #48
Site Team - Lou

Some more cool graphs

Jim is right about taxes, kick backs, bribes, profits and "middle men" getting most of that 100 dollar a barrel oil. How much Exxon pays for oil - Nov. 6, 2007

here is some more I didn't know:

US Exports http://www.indexmundi.com/united_states/oil_exports.html

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=MCREXUS1&f=A

US oil Imports http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=MCRIMUS2&f=A

US imports by country http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/aer/pdf/pages/sec5_10.pdf
We import as much oil from Venezuela as we do from Saudi Arabia.

Exports of US oil to other countries http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/aer/pdf/pages/sec5_14.pdf

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 01-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #49

On one web site, it appears we import abt 25% of our comsumption. that is a little easier to swallow.

United States Crude Oil Production by Year (Thousand Barrels per Day)

we may have been a net exporter in the 60's and maybe the first part of the 70's.

by the way, diesel went to 3.20 here in the last few days. it was 2.86 until nov.
Oklahoma city (Yukon council rd) usually has the best diesel prices that i've seen.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:07 AM   #50

[QUOTE=jimh;77132] the gov makes over $55/bbl...which goes for our highway system.

badly misstated; was multiplying 0.55/gal for taxes and 42 gal/bbl. would be more like 0.55 X 18. not all of the bbl has road tax on it.