Old 01-08-2011, 07:29 AM   #51
Site Team - Lou

[QUOTE=jimh;77150]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
the gov makes over $55/bbl...which goes for our highway system.

badly misstated; was multiplying 0.55/gal for taxes and 42 gal/bbl. would be more like 0.55 X 18. not all of the bbl has road tax on it.
Jim, Thanks for clearing that up. Most of that crude barrel goes for heavy weight "Bunker Fuel" (Ships, Trains, and Electrical generation) and there are no "road use" taxes on that as you have clarified.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #52
Wanna Be Camper

I drive anywhere from 30 to 80 miles a day and have got to the point where I only drive 50mph most of the time as I drive on mostly dirt country roads to get to work. Even when we do take the highway I only go 55 to 60. Doing this I have been able to get as much as 22mpg out of our 08 2500 Megacab 4x4 hemi but the Hemi's are very inconsistent for mileage. I have been spending upwards of 7 to 8 hundred a month on fuel so I bought a 94 Explorer that I have been working on and have it now consistent 20 combined city highway and am shooting for around 28 (pretty good for a truck I paid $1400.00 for) I would go get a new small SUV but it would take years to make up the difference between that and the 1400.00 Explorer. I need a 4x4 as I have to get to work and living on dirt roads makes a 4x4 a necessity not an nicety and I also need a heavy truck as I have to haul my water on a flat deck so when you have 8 or 10,000 lbs of water in a tank on a flat deck on icy or muddy dirt roads you need a very good 4x4. So as I said earlier I have got used to the prices although I don't like it but know it's not going to change as have most people in Canada and the rest of the world. I mean they were paying as much for fuel in Germany in the 80's when we were posted there as you guys do now. And Herk you are so right about people and their want for big, look at the last time fuel went through the roof what it did to the automakers and people dumping their big ol fuel hogs(of course there were a lot of factors at play but fuel prices were at the top of the list) Give it 6 months of lower prices and there everyone is back buying 3/4 ton trucks and 34 foot RV's that get used 3 or 4 times a year and then they drive around town in those big trucks thinking they are showing off till the prices go though the roof again. I won't buy a diesel as I don't use it hard enough to warrant the extra 10 to 12 k for one as I will never get that back so I can live with the lower mileage. Not to mention a gasser starts much easier at -35 if you forget to plug it in. Geeze there I go again on a rant, sorry.

The one thing that jars my rear though is we are the top exporter of oil to the states and yet we pay far more per gallon than the place we export it to. Of course they use the dollar as the biggest factor and yet now that our dollar is over par do you see the oil prices here reflecting that. Oh and that more of less comes from my back yard so to speak as Sask is one of the major oil producers in the country and most of our production goes to Minnesota and Mid western states.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #53

"The one thing that jars my rear though is we are the top exporter of oil to the states and yet we pay far more per gallon than the place we export it to."
================================================
Well, if you want free health care, it has to be paid for somehow.
I wouldn't trade places with our american friends just for cheap gas, as their financial mess is going to mean a declining standard of living for years to come.
Be thankful you live in Canada!
Old 01-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #54
Site Team - Lou

Yea, that was one of my "big surprises."

We import 2.5 times more oil from Canada than Saudi Arabia.

In fact we import as much from Canada as Venezuela and Saudi Arabia combined. That was quite a shock.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 01-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #55

We are still camping but we are staying local, as I'm sure a lot of others are doing as well.

Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 6.0 PSD
2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD QC King Ranch
2006 Titanium 36E41MPRV Loaded
SoundMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #56

when we visited alaska 1.5 yrs ago, we were told that the by contract, japan gets a big share or the north slope oil. i haven't varified this. just figured a tour guide with a script would be telling the truth. i do know that we ran some north slope oil for abt yr in Lake Charles.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #57
Site Team - Lou

According to that report we export about 300,000 barrels a day of USA crude oil to other countries. At the same time we import about 12.5 million barrels a day from other countries.

All that talk about boycotting blah blah blah, is just that. Crude Oil is pumped by everyone into a gigantic bathtub and everyone in the world then sucks Crude Oil out of it. It loses its identity of origin the minute it hits that giant bathtub.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 01-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #58

you can find data to support just abt any position u want to take. just have to look at what they are compairing to.
this site says that 63% of crude processed in the us was imported. no alaskan crude exported sense 2004.

Crude Oil FAQs - Energy Information Administration
Old 01-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #59
Site Team - Lou

I can see that. Also from that same page...

The top five source countries of U.S. petroleum imports are Canada, Mexico, Venezuela, Saudi Arabia, and Nigeria. Their respective rankings vary depending on whether you consider total/gross petroleum imports or net petroleum imports (gross imports minus exports).

The data I quoted earlier was from that very same web site.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 01-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #60
Site Team - Lou

something from nothing?

Refining Crude Oil - Energy Explained, Your Guide To Understanding Energy

Petroleum refining results in output greater than the input because of changes in the overall density of the refined products relative to that of the input oils. These changes result in an increase in the volume of products produced that is called processing gain. U.S. processing gain averaged 6.0% from 1996 through 2008.
In 2008, about 44.69 gallons of refined products were produced for every 42 gallon barrel of oil input into U.S. refineries.

How about that....

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW