Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #1

Diesel Prices

Diesel prices in our area were stable all summer, running around $2.89. They've been heading up all fall and now that winter is here we're at $3.49. I wonder how far they are going to go?
Reese 18K hitch - Garmin 1690 GPS
2008 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Long Box, Smartair
Nights camped in 2011: 120
Traveler II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
Villa Estate 392FLFB

Diesel is 4.164 a US gallon up here. 1.10/liter
Old 12-30-2010, 11:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler II View Post
Diesel prices in our area were stable all summer, running around $2.89. They've been heading up all fall and now that winter is here we're at $3.49. I wonder how far they are going to go?
Crude at over $90.00/barrel (last time I looked) and rising. The sky is obviously the limit.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #4

So what is the magic number where you slow down your Rving?
Reese 18K hitch - Garmin 1690 GPS
2008 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Long Box, Smartair
Nights camped in 2011: 120
Traveler II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #5

There is no real reason for the crude increase. The problem is that crude is traded (oil futures) on the stock market which drives up the price. Maybe the stock market should crash down to 2500 then the traders will stop and think about what they are doing to the economy by what they are doing. Energy should not be traded on the stock market (think Enron)
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler II View Post
So what is the magic number where you slow down your Rving?

It's not just diesel it's regular gas too. Just go as long as you can. Maybe budget more. I just bought RV and doing a camping membership to save money.

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #7
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Crude prices are a direct function of the value of the US dollar. As the dollar drops the price of crude increases. Oil prices are stated in US dollars so as our currency drops in value, the price of oil goes up. In theory the dropping US dollar will make imports more expensive and increase employment in the US. That's the theory at least. My guess is that US prices will see diesel somewhere in the $4.50 range and gas in the $4 range. Just a guess on my part. We are still going to plan a major trip this summer and another one next summer. If I do a 10,000 mile trip and I get 10 miles to the gallon then a $1 increase in diesel will mean my trip will cost an extra $1,000. If I can't afford that cost then I shouldn't be travelling. I'm sure I can find somewhere else to cut to come up with those $$ if I need to.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Crude prices are a direct function of the value of the US dollar. As the dollar drops the price of crude increases. Oil prices are stated in US dollars so as our currency drops in value, the price of oil goes up. In theory the dropping US dollar will make imports more expensive and increase employment in the US. That's the theory at least. My guess is that US prices will see diesel somewhere in the $4.50 range and gas in the $4 range. Just a guess on my part. We are still going to plan a major trip this summer and another one next summer. If I do a 10,000 mile trip and I get 10 miles to the gallon then a $1 increase in diesel will mean my trip will cost an extra $1,000. If I can't afford that cost then I shouldn't be travelling. I'm sure I can find somewhere else to cut to come up with those $$ if I need to.
Well said.

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #9

"There is no real reason for the crude increase. The problem is that crude is traded (oil futures) on the stock market which drives up the price. Maybe the stock market should crash down to 2500 then the traders will stop and think about what they are doing to the economy by what they are doing. Energy should not be traded on the stock market (think Enron)"

Just for clarity, oil is not traded on the stock market, but on the Chicago Board of Trade futures market, and the trading there has little to do with the stock market. It is more a reflection of the world economy, and that has been fairly strong for the last year. Demand for all commodities is up, and increased demand usually means higher prices.
And as wnytaxman pointed out, as the US dollar falls, anyone buying commodities will be paying more.
You could blame your government for destroying the US economy and deflating your dollar, as that would be a fair critisism.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #10

Quote:
About 9.6% more freight was moved by trucks in April 2010 than in same period in 2009, which has led to an increase in the need for diesel fuel.[42] Demand for the fuel increased 12% for four weeks ended June 11, 2010 compared to the same period in 2009.[43] Prices have also improved: June 2010 prices are nearly double of their levels in June 2009. Due to a recovering economy, consumption of U.S. distillates are predicted to expand 1.4% this year, which is the largest annual increase since 2005.[44]
Make no mistake, prices are going up because the "economic recovery" is burning it.

Double edged sword.

Throw in the "new" ULSD diesel rules (more refinement required), increased private owner demand, extra winter blend additives, a ridiculous tax scheme and low diesel prices don't stand a chance.....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:40 PM   #11

crude oil

a few days ago the ex ceo of shell came out and said gas will be 5 bucks a gallon next fall. why would a ex ceo say that to the public is beyond me. maybe he has a lot of stocks to trade in still. I am so sick of oil companies running this country.
campfirefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:14 PM   #12

Here is what we should do: The world should tell the oil companies that we will pay them $20.00 per barrel for the oil! if they say no who else would buy it?
Old 12-30-2010, 09:55 PM   #13

I heard on the news last night that gas may be at $5.00 bucks a gallon by 2012, so where does that leave diesel i just don't know.

As i travel into Northern VA every day to work i pass three gas stations before i get to Leesburg VA the price of reg gas is $3.10 a gallon and diesel is around $3.40 a gallon. The weird things is when i go past them a 4:00am the prices are set, but on the way back home about 12 hours later the prices have all ready increased between 3 to 5 cents a gallon for the same fuel that is in there tanks under ground.

I am sure that these kind of prices for fuel will effect a lot of us on long distance travel and by the time you get to a resort area just think how high the fuel will be there. This may be a good time to think about a seasonal site if you are not too far a way. I had a seasonal site for two years, but last year i came across a deal i couldn't turn down i bought a log loft cabin 12x25 on a seasonal site for $4,000 and it included everything in the cabin, this came at the right time because of all the issues i have been having with my Rockwood and now with the prices of fuel heading upward i think this was the right move for us no extra fuel use because i don't have to tow.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:47 PM   #14
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesm View Post
Here is what we should do: The world should tell the oil companies that we will pay them $20.00 per barrel for the oil! if they say no who else would buy it?

As for who would buy the oil. Hmmmm, try the Chinese, the Asian Indians, and the Brazilians. We wanted globalization and now we have it. That means that billions of people all over the world will now have cars and trucks and TV's and other things we take for granted. They also have a huge appetite for oil. When there is a huge demand for a limited quantity of any resource the price goes up.

As I stated earlier our dollar has declined and continues to decline. Who's to blame? Take a look around at how many foreign cars you see and how many goods are no longer made in the USA. Do you own a foreign car? Do you shop at Wal Mart? All of those things contributed to where we are today and to oil going over $100 a barrel. There is no conspiracy by oil companies or the Saudis or Hugo Chavez. We have made our own bed and now we have to sleep in it.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:08 PM   #15

"As I stated earlier our dollar has declined and continues to decline. Who's to blame? Take a look around at how many foreign cars you see and how many goods are no longer made in the USA. Do you own a foreign car? Do you shop at Wal Mart? All of those things contributed to where we are today and to oil going over $100 a barrel. There is no conspiracy by oil companies or the Saudis or Hugo Chavez. We have made our own bed and now we have to sleep in it. "

That was well worth repeating. I don't think enough people realise that they have done this to themselves. Heck, I don't think even light bulbs are made in the US anymore. US industry has been gutted, and it has only been the fraud of subprime mortgages and the like that kept the ponzi scheme going. Now it's time to pay the piper, so get used to $5 gas, or 6 or 7 or 8, because that is where it is headed. But be glad that you can afford the luxury of a camper and being able to have vacations, as a lot of people won't be able to afford to feed their kids.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
As for who would buy the oil. Hmmmm, try the Chinese, the Asian Indians, and the Brazilians. We wanted globalization and now we have it. That means that billions of people all over the world will now have cars and trucks and TV's and other things we take for granted. They also have a huge appetite for oil. When there is a huge demand for a limited quantity of any resource the price goes up.

As I stated earlier our dollar has declined and continues to decline. Who's to blame? Take a look around at how many foreign cars you see and how many goods are no longer made in the USA. Do you own a foreign car? Do you shop at Wal Mart? All of those things contributed to where we are today and to oil going over $100 a barrel. There is no conspiracy by oil companies or the Saudis or Hugo Chavez. We have made our own bed and now we have to sleep in it.
What I mean is no one on this planet is to buy oil at $90.00. Make the oil companies sit on their oil until they choke on it.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:30 PM   #17

well lets see...an oil moratorium in the gulf (one permit sense spill). supply and demand. home heating oil demand. value of the dollar. believe that just abt sums it up.
market panic. that was a big contributor to the last one. inventories were on the rise and prices were still going up. speculators were buying all the oil crude and finished they could get. Refineries were cutting back because they ran out of places to put it.

i always like the one abt not buying from a prrticular oil co until the drop their price. they simply sell it to the other oil co that (would be) suddenly short of supply for their stations.

the only thing we can really do is look for the american label when buying (helps raise dollar value) and cut back and let supplies rise.

diesel usually goes up when home heating oil demand goes up.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:58 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Lots of issues here and I think everyone has a point.
1) There ARE speculators that are artificially driving up the price of crude at this time
2) Demand is up. (Thereby encouraging the speculators)
3) The differential between gas and diesel seems to be rising. Diesel is becoming relatively more expensive

This last point is why I think pickup truck manufacturers are loath to putting a small diesel in 1/2 ton trucks.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:15 PM   #19

"What I mean is no one on this planet is to buy oil at $90.00. Make the oil companies sit on their oil until they choke on it."

What do you heat your house with?
Do you drive a car?
Nuff said.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:04 PM   #20

diesel is 3.099 here today. on the interstate the truck stops are getting 10 cents more.
one of the biggest changes to diesel was the federal mandate of <15ppm sulfur. gasoline is 30ppm. what u get at the pump will be less than that. it required refiners to put an extra process in to get the sulfur down.
the demand for gasoline will also put pressure on diesel; if their is more of a margin on gasoline than diesel, the refiner can opt to make gasoline out of it.

right now, ur seeing the seasonal change in the diesel price because of heating oil demand.

we probably will see $5/gal pricing in the next few years. in 2000 it was 2.19 here. think what else u have seen in the past 10 yrs double in price. i don't see a price increase like that in the next year though.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote