Old 12-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #1

Diesel Prices

Diesel prices in our area were stable all summer, running around $2.89. They've been heading up all fall and now that winter is here we're at $3.49. I wonder how far they are going to go?

Reese 18K hitch - Garmin 1690 GPS
2008 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Long Box, Smartair
Nights camped in 2011: 120
Traveler II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
Villa Estate 392FLFB

Diesel is 4.164 a US gallon up here. 1.10/liter

Old 12-30-2010, 11:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler II View Post
Diesel prices in our area were stable all summer, running around $2.89. They've been heading up all fall and now that winter is here we're at $3.49. I wonder how far they are going to go?
Crude at over $90.00/barrel (last time I looked) and rising. The sky is obviously the limit.

...VTX-AL
Old 12-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #4

So what is the magic number where you slow down your Rving?
Reese 18K hitch - Garmin 1690 GPS
2008 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Long Box, Smartair
Nights camped in 2011: 120
Traveler II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #5

There is no real reason for the crude increase. The problem is that crude is traded (oil futures) on the stock market which drives up the price. Maybe the stock market should crash down to 2500 then the traders will stop and think about what they are doing to the economy by what they are doing. Energy should not be traded on the stock market (think Enron)
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler II View Post
So what is the magic number where you slow down your Rving?

It's not just diesel it's regular gas too. Just go as long as you can. Maybe budget more. I just bought RV and doing a camping membership to save money.

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #7
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Crude prices are a direct function of the value of the US dollar. As the dollar drops the price of crude increases. Oil prices are stated in US dollars so as our currency drops in value, the price of oil goes up. In theory the dropping US dollar will make imports more expensive and increase employment in the US. That's the theory at least. My guess is that US prices will see diesel somewhere in the $4.50 range and gas in the $4 range. Just a guess on my part. We are still going to plan a major trip this summer and another one next summer. If I do a 10,000 mile trip and I get 10 miles to the gallon then a $1 increase in diesel will mean my trip will cost an extra $1,000. If I can't afford that cost then I shouldn't be travelling. I'm sure I can find somewhere else to cut to come up with those $$ if I need to.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Crude prices are a direct function of the value of the US dollar. As the dollar drops the price of crude increases. Oil prices are stated in US dollars so as our currency drops in value, the price of oil goes up. In theory the dropping US dollar will make imports more expensive and increase employment in the US. That's the theory at least. My guess is that US prices will see diesel somewhere in the $4.50 range and gas in the $4 range. Just a guess on my part. We are still going to plan a major trip this summer and another one next summer. If I do a 10,000 mile trip and I get 10 miles to the gallon then a $1 increase in diesel will mean my trip will cost an extra $1,000. If I can't afford that cost then I shouldn't be travelling. I'm sure I can find somewhere else to cut to come up with those $$ if I need to.
Well said.

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #9

"There is no real reason for the crude increase. The problem is that crude is traded (oil futures) on the stock market which drives up the price. Maybe the stock market should crash down to 2500 then the traders will stop and think about what they are doing to the economy by what they are doing. Energy should not be traded on the stock market (think Enron)"

Just for clarity, oil is not traded on the stock market, but on the Chicago Board of Trade futures market, and the trading there has little to do with the stock market. It is more a reflection of the world economy, and that has been fairly strong for the last year. Demand for all commodities is up, and increased demand usually means higher prices.
And as wnytaxman pointed out, as the US dollar falls, anyone buying commodities will be paying more.
You could blame your government for destroying the US economy and deflating your dollar, as that would be a fair critisism.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #10

Quote:
About 9.6% more freight was moved by trucks in April 2010 than in same period in 2009, which has led to an increase in the need for diesel fuel.[42] Demand for the fuel increased 12% for four weeks ended June 11, 2010 compared to the same period in 2009.[43] Prices have also improved: June 2010 prices are nearly double of their levels in June 2009. Due to a recovering economy, consumption of U.S. distillates are predicted to expand 1.4% this year, which is the largest annual increase since 2005.[44]
Make no mistake, prices are going up because the "economic recovery" is burning it.

Double edged sword.

Throw in the "new" ULSD diesel rules (more refinement required), increased private owner demand, extra winter blend additives, a ridiculous tax scheme and low diesel prices don't stand a chance.....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote