Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2010, 02:15 PM   #1

Difference between AAA & Good Sam

We recently had to use AAA to fix a flat which got us to wondering who has the better TT plan.
Your opinions and thoughts welcome.
BillConnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #2

I was just thinking about that. In addition, what about road hazard insurance through your car insurance policy? I have mine through GEICO which I believe is cheaper, but I receive no discounts.
rvron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:16 AM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion. I have Geico also and it is on my list of places to check for best coverage. I've compared AAA & Good Sam. Been a member of AAA for a long long time and it will cost $40 to add RV, which isn't bad, I haven't determined whether or not the towing is as good as Good Sams. Guess I'm going to have to take some time and call each of them to make the final determination.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I have Geico also and it is on my list of places to check for best coverage. I've compared AAA & Good Sam. Been a member of AAA for a long long time and it will cost $40 to add RV, which isn't bad, I haven't determined whether or not the towing is as good as Good Sams. Guess I'm going to have to take some time and call each of them to make the final determination.
I have AAA and had added the RV option a couple of years ago. Last year I lost a break line on my pickup on the bypass that goes around Cincinatti(sp), OH on the IN border. I was able to find a spot I could get both my truck and camper of the road. I called AAA and they sent 2 flatbeds and took both the camper and truck to Friendship, IN ( which was my destination) and dropped me off. This was about 50 miles on Labor Day. I could not have asked for better service. I have not used the other services so I can not comment on them.
Dick
dichayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #5

I've always been a believer in AAA and it's good to have some backup to my trust in them.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:01 AM   #6

I know for me it was in the fine print. You really need to look at the limitations to towing and services that is written in the small stuff. I considered several different services. Most will not cover you if you are "off road" but their definitions of "off road" can vary. Some of the places we dry camp can be back in the woods on gravel roads or in "dispersed camping" areas where you can drive a large rig into just fine but by their definitions are "off road" and they will not cover you if you get stuck or need service.

For the price and services provided I went with Good Sams ERS. So far we haven't needed them so I can't rate their actual service.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:28 AM   #7
Site Team

Not trying to hijack this thread but if you were going to Friendship
you must be a black powder shooter?
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #8

Progressive has a good RV insurance plan. We are members of USAA and they do not offer RV coverage. We had just signed up with AAA for emergency road service and found Progressive has the best coverage, rates and road service.

Big Bird
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #9

I will share my experience on a recent trip to Kansas. I found a tire separating on my trailer and called AAA to come and put my spare on. After giving them all my information size and approx weight of the trailer they arrived about 45minutes later in a PT cruiser. The young man got out and asked me about the weight of the trailer and then told me his jack would only lift about 1 ton. So I got my jack out for him and then I asked him if he had a thin wall socket to remove the lugnuts on the aluminum wheel because standard socket won't fit he replied "no" so I got my socket it out.. At this point I signed his ticket and finished the job myself. I am a former heavy duty tow truck operator and I couldn't believe that AAA would sent out a service vehicle that wasn't equipped to change a tire. Very disappointed with the 1st service call. Hopefully I won't have the need for a 2nd call. Just my experience...
campclanlouisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #10

Here is Good Sams Basic Service for $79 a year

Our Standard Membership includes the following roadside emergency services:
Unlimited Distance Towing to the Nearest Independent Professional Service Center

Good Sam ERS will pay 100% of your towing fees to the nearest independent professional service center, even for specialized RV towing, and even if the distance is HUNDREDS of miles!

Protection For All Household Vehicles

Protection for one RV and all your household cars, minivans, SUVs, pick-ups, motorcycles and boat trailers are protected!

Flat Tire Service

If you have a blown tire while you are on the road, call us toll-free and we'll have an experienced technician come to help change it with your spare. If you need a replacement tire we can contact our network of providers to help you locate a new tire.

24/7 Toll-Free Emergency Roadside Assistance

Whenever you need roadside repairs, night or day, we will be there to help!

Protection in the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands & Mexico

We'll provide you with full sign-and-drive service anywhere in the U.S. (Including Alaska and Hawaii), Canada; Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Mexico.

Get Help While Traveling with the RV Concierge Service

While traveling, call a live concierge agent who will assist in locating the following points of interest

RV Facilities Fuel Locations RV Parks RV Parts Facilities Dump Staions Campgrounds Retail Stores Rest Stops Restaurants Service Facilities Lodging National Parks/Historic Sites

Your concierge can also help with Emergency Message Relay Services!

Discounts at AAMCO Centers

Get 10% off parts and labor at all AAMCO centers.

Spouse & Children Protection

Our emergency breakdown service keeps your whole family safe! Emergency road service membership includes services for your spouse and children (no more than 25-years-old living in the same household or attending college) are included.

Emergency Fuel and Fluid Service

If you run out of fuel, we will provide you with enough fuel to get you to the nearest service station.

Lost Key/Lock Out Service

Have you lost your key or accidentally locked it in your vehicle? Call our toll-free number to have a pre-paid locksmith dispatched to wherever you are.

Roadside Mechanical Repairs

We can send an experienced mobile mechanic to make minor roadside repairs to your vehicle at the site of disablement.

$1,200 Trip Interruption Assistance

If your vehicle is disabled due to a collision with another vehicle when you are more than 100 miles away from home, we will reimburse you for the cost of your meals, rental car, and lodging.

Emergency Medical Referral Service

We can assist you with a personal or medical emergency associated with an accident or illness while you are on the road. We will find legal, medical, or dental help, replace prescriptions, plan for emergency cash, travel arrangements and relay emergency messages.

Emergency Pet Transport

While traveling in your RV in the event of a medical or personal emergency, we will assist in making arrangements for pet care, transport or safe return.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:51 PM   #11

Thanks to all for your input. We have decided to add Good Sam Road Service this year and we'll let AAA expire.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #12
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We've had Good Sam ERS since we bought our motorhome. It not only covers the RV but every vehicle we own including my daughter's vehicle. She was involved in an accident where the vehicle needed to be towed. She called them, they weren't able to get a truck there for about 30 minutes. It was a snowy day so I'm sure the requests were pretty high. The police wanted the car off the road and called for a tow truck close by that they use. She called GS ERS back and they told her to send the bill to them and they reimbursed the entire amount because they couldn't get someone there quicker. They really do a great job. The battery on my car died last summer while we were on vacation. I called them and they had a truck come out to hot shot us. Once the lady contacted the service company she called me back with an estimated time of arrival which was 35 minutes. They were there in less than 30. She called me back 40 minutes after the call she made to me with the arrival time to make sure we were taken care of. Best annual fee we pay. Service has been nothing short of excellent.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:12 AM   #13

Thanks Charlie & Sheri - I feel better knowing that the good service I received from AAA all these years will continue with Good Sam.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #14

I had AAA for many years. When I started RVing, their price went way too high. Good Sam gave me much better coverage and proce. I had to use them once. Got towed, TT and Trailer to the nearest Chevy dealer. I was satified with the rsponse and service.
exscream is offline   Reply With Quote