Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Woodinville, WA, near Seattle
Posts: 1
Differentiating Among Forest River 5th Wheel Varieties

General post to group from a newby: OK, I'm confused. So Forest River makes a zoo-full of varieties of 5th wheels, practically from A through Z --- well, not quite --- from Blue Ridge to Wildwood, & over a dozen in between. My efforts to determine the features, advantages, & disadvantages of each --- & particularly to find a chart or table that compares one variety of FR 5th wheel to another --- have failed. When I read FR's description of each variety, they all pretty much sound alike: "Fine RVs, blah, blah, blah." Furthermore, I don't really get much useful info from the dealers about comparing & contrasting one variety to another, as each dealer appears to handle only one or a few of them, which, quite naturally, that dealer believes to be best.

Question: Where is there sufficient objective information comparing & contrasting the many varieties of FR 5th wheels, where one, after reviewing that information in light of one's own circumstances, might reasonably conclude "These varieties, A, B, & C (whatever they may be), appear to meet my needs best"?

R Wills
Seattle
__________________

__________________
RWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
Site Team
 
asquared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 10,373
Typically seeing them together at an rv show is your best bet. Typically they all have similar floor plans. The differences usually lie in weight, tank size and trim work. What we did when shopping for trailers was to make a spreadsheet. List across the top items that are important to you, i.e. weight, length, a floor plan feature, etc. Down the side list make and model. Then start your comparisons. You will start to narrow the field a bit that way.
__________________

__________________
<a href=http://i62.tinypic.com/28rp645.jpg target=_blank>http://i62.tinypic.com/28rp645.jpg</a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:01 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 260
look at the materials the trailers are built out of. ie. wood or aluminum upper structures. what size axles they have. gel coat side walls or typical siding. is the furniture residential quality. is the under belly heated and enclosed. what type of leveling does it have ( auto or manual)

as said above you should go look a them, that's the best way to see the diffrence
__________________
jgroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:45 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
davel1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Seaford, De
Posts: 2,317
there is no difference really. They all have a twin if not triplet or quadruplet. Just the same floor plans styled with different trim, fabric and decals
__________________
David & Lynn
2014 Coachmen Chaparral Signature 327 RLKS
2016 Ford F350 Lariat CC Dually
davel1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
jonrjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
there is no difference really. They all have a twin if not triplet or quadruplet. Just the same floor plans styled with different trim, fabric and decals
Just like in the days of old when GM sold the same vehicle but under the disguise of different brand stamping.

Difference on the RV maybe that one manufacture brand offers an optional item that may be standard on another of the manufactures brand
__________________
2013 Ford F350 FX4 4x4 PSD
2013 Wildcat 353LS

2015 Day/Nights Camped 5
2014 Day/Nights Camped 29
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:21 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
The best way to differentiate is to see them in person.

You can get most qualifying or disqualifying spec from floor plans listed on FR website.
Ie: length, weight, std features, optional features etc etc.
But to see the true differences you must see them first hand.

Turbs
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:10 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Typically seeing them together at an rv show is your best bet. Typically they all have similar floor plans. The differences usually lie in weight, tank size and trim work. What we did when shopping for trailers was to make a spreadsheet. List across the top items that are important to you, i.e. weight, length, a floor plan feature, etc. Down the side list make and model. Then start your comparisons. You will start to narrow the field a bit that way.
Hey, asquared, as a newbie who's retiring as an oldie from teaching, I appreciate your suggested items to include in a spreadsheet. I've been running myself ragged trying to ID the "perfect" 5er and TV to allow me to do at least a year in fulltime rv-ing starting toward the end of spring semester.

I've owned the big three half-ton trucks and have a slight preference for Chev/GMC. While I understand advanced statistics, the math of pin weights, various tow weights, etc.--especially combined with what appears to be quite a bit of conflicting understandings of the process is a little daunting! So, it looks like it's time to invest in more post-doc education!
__________________
gwest2756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 12,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwest2756 View Post
Hey, asquared, as a newbie who's retiring as an oldie from teaching, I appreciate your suggested items to include in a spreadsheet. I've been running myself ragged trying to ID the "perfect" 5er and TV to allow me to do at least a year in fulltime rv-ing starting toward the end of spring semester.

I've owned the big three half-ton trucks and have a slight preference for Chev/GMC. While I understand advanced statistics, the math of pin weights, various tow weights, etc.--especially combined with what appears to be quite a bit of conflicting understandings of the process is a little daunting! So, it looks like it's time to invest in more post-doc education!
Sounds like you need to read the Info on (Changingears.com) Very Educational! Youroo!!
__________________
youroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:27 PM   #9
Member
 
poofam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chocowinity, nc
Posts: 91
Not all are built the same !!! For full time look behind the walls how is it made (construction) , what is your price point ? Some vary well built rv's are hard to find with limited dealers. I looked at 5ers for over a year before getting a destination TT, we are on a permanent site so made more sense for us. Things I would highly recommend. Heat pump, dual pane windows, Big shower, 2 Ac units, best insulation package you can get. There are a lot of little things that make life better out here, read the forums and you will be educated. One last thing look at the Lifestyle 5er Vary well made but $$$$$. Poo
__________________
poofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:39 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,721
[QUOTE]Just like in the days of old when GM sold the same vehicle but under the disguise of different brand stamping.[QUOTE]

Days of old? Have you looked at the Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia and Chevy Traverse (and Saturn Outlook before they went under)? Essentially the same vehicle.

The only reason Ford can take credit for the F-150 being the "best selling vehicle" is because no one adds up the Silverado's and GMC pickups together.
__________________

__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5th wheel, forest river, wheel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 AM.