Old 10-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #1

Differentiating Among Forest River 5th Wheel Varieties

General post to group from a newby: OK, I'm confused. So Forest River makes a zoo-full of varieties of 5th wheels, practically from A through Z --- well, not quite --- from Blue Ridge to Wildwood, & over a dozen in between. My efforts to determine the features, advantages, & disadvantages of each --- & particularly to find a chart or table that compares one variety of FR 5th wheel to another --- have failed. When I read FR's description of each variety, they all pretty much sound alike: "Fine RVs, blah, blah, blah." Furthermore, I don't really get much useful info from the dealers about comparing & contrasting one variety to another, as each dealer appears to handle only one or a few of them, which, quite naturally, that dealer believes to be best.

Question: Where is there sufficient objective information comparing & contrasting the many varieties of FR 5th wheels, where one, after reviewing that information in light of one's own circumstances, might reasonably conclude "These varieties, A, B, & C (whatever they may be), appear to meet my needs best"?

R Wills
Seattle

Old 10-27-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
Site Team

Typically seeing them together at an rv show is your best bet. Typically they all have similar floor plans. The differences usually lie in weight, tank size and trim work. What we did when shopping for trailers was to make a spreadsheet. List across the top items that are important to you, i.e. weight, length, a floor plan feature, etc. Down the side list make and model. Then start your comparisons. You will start to narrow the field a bit that way.

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:01 AM   #3

look at the materials the trailers are built out of. ie. wood or aluminum upper structures. what size axles they have. gel coat side walls or typical siding. is the furniture residential quality. is the under belly heated and enclosed. what type of leveling does it have ( auto or manual)

as said above you should go look a them, that's the best way to see the diffrence
Old 10-28-2014, 06:45 AM   #4

there is no difference really. They all have a twin if not triplet or quadruplet. Just the same floor plans styled with different trim, fabric and decals
davel1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
there is no difference really. They all have a twin if not triplet or quadruplet. Just the same floor plans styled with different trim, fabric and decals
Just like in the days of old when GM sold the same vehicle but under the disguise of different brand stamping.

Difference on the RV maybe that one manufacture brand offers an optional item that may be standard on another of the manufactures brand

2015 Day/Nights Camped 5
2014 Day/Nights Camped 29
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:21 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The best way to differentiate is to see them in person.

You can get most qualifying or disqualifying spec from floor plans listed on FR website.
Ie: length, weight, std features, optional features etc etc.
But to see the true differences you must see them first hand.

Turbs
Old 02-03-2015, 12:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Typically seeing them together at an rv show is your best bet. Typically they all have similar floor plans. The differences usually lie in weight, tank size and trim work. What we did when shopping for trailers was to make a spreadsheet. List across the top items that are important to you, i.e. weight, length, a floor plan feature, etc. Down the side list make and model. Then start your comparisons. You will start to narrow the field a bit that way.
Hey, asquared, as a newbie who's retiring as an oldie from teaching, I appreciate your suggested items to include in a spreadsheet. I've been running myself ragged trying to ID the "perfect" 5er and TV to allow me to do at least a year in fulltime rv-ing starting toward the end of spring semester.

I've owned the big three half-ton trucks and have a slight preference for Chev/GMC. While I understand advanced statistics, the math of pin weights, various tow weights, etc.--especially combined with what appears to be quite a bit of conflicting understandings of the process is a little daunting! So, it looks like it's time to invest in more post-doc education!
Old 02-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwest2756 View Post
Hey, asquared, as a newbie who's retiring as an oldie from teaching, I appreciate your suggested items to include in a spreadsheet. I've been running myself ragged trying to ID the "perfect" 5er and TV to allow me to do at least a year in fulltime rv-ing starting toward the end of spring semester.

I've owned the big three half-ton trucks and have a slight preference for Chev/GMC. While I understand advanced statistics, the math of pin weights, various tow weights, etc.--especially combined with what appears to be quite a bit of conflicting understandings of the process is a little daunting! So, it looks like it's time to invest in more post-doc education!
Sounds like you need to read the Info on (Changingears.com) Very Educational! Youroo!!
Old 02-03-2015, 10:27 PM   #9

Not all are built the same !!! For full time look behind the walls how is it made (construction) , what is your price point ? Some vary well built rv's are hard to find with limited dealers. I looked at 5ers for over a year before getting a destination TT, we are on a permanent site so made more sense for us. Things I would highly recommend. Heat pump, dual pane windows, Big shower, 2 Ac units, best insulation package you can get. There are a lot of little things that make life better out here, read the forums and you will be educated. One last thing look at the Lifestyle 5er Vary well made but $$$$$. Poo
Old 02-03-2015, 10:39 PM   #10

[QUOTE]Just like in the days of old when GM sold the same vehicle but under the disguise of different brand stamping.[QUOTE]

Days of old? Have you looked at the Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia and Chevy Traverse (and Saturn Outlook before they went under)? Essentially the same vehicle.

The only reason Ford can take credit for the F-150 being the "best selling vehicle" is because no one adds up the Silverado's and GMC pickups together.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, forest river, wheel