Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #21
Certified Curmudgeon

If you are a full timer very little of the above is appropriate. You need the liability and personal property coverage found in a homeowners policy and the comprehensive found in an auto/RV policy.
I asked for a quote from GS twice and never got a response. Once was in person at the Tampa RV show this past January.
That left Progressive and Foremost as viable options.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #22
Site Team - Lou

Follow up on water damage from roof leaks:

I received your reply.

I apologize for the confusion. Comprehensive coverage under the auto policy would provide coverage for water damage.

Comprehensive Coverage
Also referred to as Other Than Collision coverage, helps repair your vehicle from damage caused by risks such as theft, vandalism, wind & hail and glass breakage.

Covered losses are subject to your policy deductible. Coverage descriptions are brief and subject to the terms and conditions of your policy. Please read your policy for details. Just select Auto Insurance Policy and click View My Documents.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
Keep in mind that not all insurance companies cover the same things. For instance, it's not a good idea to think that your homeowners policy will cover it at the house unless you read that for yourself in that policy (and don't just ask the agent...they're almost like RV dealers).

I tend to look at RV specific policies instead of adding on to an auto policy even though a lot of people do just that. I've found that most RV policies offer a full replacement cost option. They will usually cover roadside / towing for the trailer and whatever vehicle is attached to it at the time. Those are the two things I value most out of a policy, but I've seen things like personal belonging coverage and trip cancellation / emergency lodging coverage included in the policies...not something you get with most auto policies. Again, verify it and don't assume.

Look up RV insurance and get a look at some of the things offered then talk to your auto / homeowners people and see what the differences are as far as coverage and cost. You might be able to add on to a policy for less money and be comfortable with what it covers, but you may not. Just research it well, insurance surprises aren't fun.
You are correct, but mine is covered under personal property and states it as long as it is on my insured property up to 175,000.00 I'm covered for it. I guess the correct term is called an endorsement....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:57 PM   #24
RFK

Your basic homeowners policy may provide coverage for personal property while away from your home, so all the "stuff" we pack in to our rigs before we go can get replaced should something happen. Standard homeowners policy language will have something to the effect of " personal property away from the residence premise is covered for named perils up to 10% of your dwelling coverage limit" it would be listed under a section "additional coverages" As an example if your house policy lists 250,000 for dwelling coverage you'll have $25,000 available for your personal property that is not part of the RV or TT. Also adding your RV or TT to your existing auto policy saves you $$$ because your personal auto policy already has the liability portion. Buying a separate policy makes you pay for another liability part. So adding your RV or TT to auto policy and having your homeowners policy cover the personal property you may save some $$$ on insurance. The only drawback to this methods would be the deductible on both policies would apply to any loss. What a bedtime story. This insurance stuff can put anyone to sleep on short order. Have a great night and hope the Turkey was fantastic !
2007 Harley Electra Glide Classic
:iwo
RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #25

we are planning on selling our home and going full time in a big Trilogy next spring.
what kind of insurance do i need to get to have everything covered in the rv and including the rv ? i will of course have the insurance on my truck. has anyone that is full time had to deal with property tax issues ? we are not new to rving just the full time issues.
GaryanJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #26
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryanJane View Post
we are planning on selling our home and going full time in a big Trilogy next spring. what kind of insurance do i need to get to have everything covered in the rv and including the rv ? i will of course have the insurance on my truck. has anyone that is full time had to deal with property tax issues ? we are not new to rving just the full time issues.
You need full timers insurance. Only a few companies offer what you need (see my previous post). Also, if you need a truck to pull that Trilogy, I will be selling one shortly.
It will be posted in the Classifieds. In any case, enjoy your travels.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #27
RKR

Quote:
we are planning on selling our home and going full time in a big Trilogy next spring. what kind of insurance do i need to get to have everything covered in the rv and including the rv ? i will of course have the insurance on my truck. has anyone that is full time had to deal with property tax issues ? we are not new to rving just the full time issues.
We picked up our 5vr in Oct. This was my experience with Progressive.
I called my insurance agent (family member) and explained that I just bought a 5vr and need coverage before I hit the highway and bring it home.
I was told that the full coverage on my pickup covered the trailer for collision while it was being towed. I was a little skeptical and just waited until she finished the paperwork and called me to say the 5vr was covered.
We got full coverage if course. It was around $150 down and $42 a month. I probably could of gotten cheaper coverage but we had to use Progressive twice about 5 yrs ago (kids) and they were good to deal with.

Happy camping
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #28

I checked with my insurance agent and found out anything I am towing with my truck is covered for liability under my truck's policy and is subject to the same limitations. My homeowners does not cover my camper, boat or rzr, unless it is being pulled by my truck and then it is liability only. For comp and collision I carry separate policies from Geico.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #29

thanks for the replies. we do have a truck already but thanks. we will not have any home owners insurance to cover the rv as it will be sold. will have to check with my agent and see what he recommends for complete coverage.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #30

Quote:
we are planning on selling our home and going full time in a big Trilogy next spring.
what kind of insurance do i need to get to have everything covered in the rv and including the rv ? i will of course have the insurance on my truck. has anyone that is full time had to deal with property tax issues ? we are not new to rving just the full time issues.
You will need to do some research on that like states that do not have property tax's, I think Florida is one you would need to have it registered in that state or any other that doesn't have it. Also you might want to look at states and how much they charge for renewal. Here in Virginia I have to pay for the plates on my TV but we have permanent plates for the 5th wheel. You pay 75.00 bucks once only when you register it. hope that helps a little.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #31

thanks i will look into that
Old 11-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
I checked with my insurance agent and found out anything I am towing with my truck is covered for liability under my truck's policy and is subject to the same limitations. My homeowners does not cover my camper, boat or rzr, unless it is being pulled by my truck and then it is liability only. For comp and collision I carry separate policies from Geico.
That is correct , I have the same type coverage ..... I'm with Geico ... I was with state farm for over 24 yrs. house , cars , trucks
There service was Great , I paid through the nose on 4 cars , 2 teen age drivers , girl 2 accidents , son 1 .
I tried them for my Harley , almost Twice the amount , camper same ,
House went up 300 a yr , no claims in the last 10 yrs , nothing major

My agent never called me back when I told him we were shopping insurance around , truck and trail or went 1st, then 2 cars , then the house
No one called
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:50 AM   #33

had a bad experience with state farm years ago. last year changed all my insurance, cars,home and business to Mr. Insurance. i was amazed at the amount i saved on everything. grandson totaled wifes escalade and they paid quick and didnt go up on
my premium.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Hmm also Good Sam Life. Need to think about this.

Is your Good Sam in addition to your auto policy or does it replace it?
We have our auto policy through USAA - if you are retired/former military or your parent(s) were in the military, USAA is the way to go for Car/TV insurance

Fact is USAA is the bomb for most any financial service
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote