Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #1

do i need insurance?

Hi all,

I am new and am still in the process of purchasing first travel trailer. Can someone please explain how the RV insurance works vs your auto insurance and homeowners insurance when parked at your house?
Old 11-28-2013, 07:48 AM   #2

To get the most accurate information, i would ask your current house and car insurance companies the very same question. Then you should be able to make a decision on coverage for your specific needs

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #3

If you are buying an Rv and take out a loan the bank will require you to have RV insurance. Depending on state laws if you pay cash for it you may not have to, I would advise spending as much money as you are to get insurance. Rv insurance is more like your home owners while it does cover the trailer in an accident it also covers, fire,wind and other things. Its not that expensive I've had a trailer for 11 yrs and never had a claim but just recently a friend had their trailer flip on it's side in the wind, while it was sitting in their yard, and the insurance is going to total it out. For 250$ to 500$ a year they will be able to get a new one.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

The previous poster is correct.

However, from my perspective:

1) If you borrowed against the camper to pay for it, the lender most likely will require you to carry insurance to repay the loan if there is a loss.

2) Auto Insurance - Three types and YOU MUST ADD the camper to your policy for all three

Collision - While connected to your tow vehicle "AND IN MOTION" your auto insurance Collision portion will cover you for loss while traveling.

Comprehensive - Will cover losses while at the campground or in your storage location. (Tree falls on it or it burns up in a fire)

Towing - You should have towing on all your vehicles including the camper (See http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...erk-46335.html). You may need to have the truck towed to the dealership and the camper towed to a campground close by.

3) Camper Insurance for repairs - The OEM warranty is for 1 year from date of purchase.

The DEALERS WILL NOT TELL YOU ABOUT THE SECOND YEAR EXTENSION FROM FR ON TRAILERS. See the FAQ for the application form. You can apply directly to FR and it is VERY cheap.

4) Dealership Extended Warranty - (IMO) Expensive and useless as most will only pay "if it is not your fault." Most of them have a high deductible and will make every effort to say whatever broke was your fault.

I got an extended warranty when I bought our camper and discovered WATER DAMAGE (the biggie) IS NOT COVERED. Save your money.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #5

HERK did you check your home owners like insurance for the water damage you might have water damage coverage there. I know wind was insisted on by insurance agent , without they wouldn't cover awning damage but I can't remember if there was anything about water.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #6

We scraped against some limbs once, no visible issues that we could tell, wouldn't have thought they'd have done any damage..... Some time later, we discovered massive leak issue with our walls and, you guessed it, it came back to that same spot. Thankfully, the insurance covered the trailer and our butts! I wouldn't consider not having it. IMHO
Old 11-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
HERK did you check your home owners like insurance for the water damage you might have water damage coverage there. I know wind was insisted on by insurance agent , without they wouldn't cover awning damage but I can't remember if there was anything about water.
Hmmm. Never thought about that.
Did you somehow add it to your homeowners?
Old 11-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #8

I seem to remember being told that whether your Homeowners covers parts of your RV or not depends on how long it is.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #9

I insure my RV with the exact same policy as my cars, but I have it insured for what I paid if it gets total. If you park it at home your homeowner policy will cover it while it's parked. I just had to renew my policy's and went through this with them. I use AARP with Hartford. I also got the second year through FR $150.00. That is up in Feb 2014. I bought an extended plan for it, It was for 7 years, but because I had FR I lost 2 years so instead of 7 that I paid for they will not kick in til Feb. Lost 2 years, but it was cheaper to buy it when new, if I waited til FR was over I would have to pay $400.00 more then new. I have Cornerstone Bumper to bumper with a 100.00 deductible. I can cancel at anytime and it transferable.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

I have a contact email with USAA and asked the questions presented here. It is Turkey Day in the US of A, so I don't expect an answer till Friday at the earliest.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #11

All great advice. Thank you all very much. I will call my insurance company tomorrow and start shopping around for policies. I am financing it so that is a good point I am going to be required to have It. Is there anything that some polices have or don't have that I should look for?
Old 11-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I have a contact email with USAA and asked the questions presented here. It is Turkey Day in the US of A, so I don't expect an answer till Friday at the earliest.
Herk - your Avatar had some of its offspring in the Macys parade today
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnoo2rving View Post
Is there anything that some polices have or don't have that I should look for?
Keep in mind that not all insurance companies cover the same things. For instance, it's not a good idea to think that your homeowners policy will cover it at the house unless you read that for yourself in that policy (and don't just ask the agent...they're almost like RV dealers).

I tend to look at RV specific policies instead of adding on to an auto policy even though a lot of people do just that. I've found that most RV policies offer a full replacement cost option. They will usually cover roadside / towing for the trailer and whatever vehicle is attached to it at the time. Those are the two things I value most out of a policy, but I've seen things like personal belonging coverage and trip cancellation / emergency lodging coverage included in the policies...not something you get with most auto policies. Again, verify it and don't assume.

Look up RV insurance and get a look at some of the things offered then talk to your auto / homeowners people and see what the differences are as far as coverage and cost. You might be able to add on to a policy for less money and be comfortable with what it covers, but you may not. Just research it well, insurance surprises aren't fun.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Reply from USAA:

I received your message regarding your travel trailer coverage.

It is important to note that your RV is specifically excluded by your homeowners contract. All coverage for damage to your RV is provided by the auto policy only. As you currently carry comprehensive coverage with a $500 deductible your RV is covered against water damage such as flood.

It is important to note that a blanket coverage statement is not definitive and each claim is adjusted on its own merits at the time of the loss. Therefore, any change in circumstances can affect the outcome of the coverage decision.

I replied and asked specifically about damage from a leaking roof seam. Will keep you advised as to their response.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #15

USAA Contracts through Progressive and we had that policy when we had basic needs with a 7 year old TT.

When we upgraded to a 5er this year with a LOT of high tech extras/upgrades, we took a hard look at the USAA(Progressive) policy and shopped around.

We found that Good Sam Club offered the best and most comprehensive RV Insurance out there - with a surprising $200 deductible on both Comprehensive & Collision. They offered many other options that we found desireable (Flat rate, no deductible contents insurance, camping & trip interruption insurance). Plus they beat a similar quote from Progressive (USAA) by over $250 for the year! We are diehard USAA consumers so we were quite surprised but wound up going with Good Sam's.

Note: We are Charter Good Sam's Club life members, so we do not incur a annual membership (even so it is only $30 or so...)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:25 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Hmm also Good Sam Life. Need to think about this.

Is your Good Sam in addition to your auto policy or does it replace it?
Old 11-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
USAA Contracts through Progressive and we had that policy when we had basic needs with a 7 year old TT.

When we upgraded to a 5er this year with a LOT of high tech extras/upgrades, we took a hard look at the USAA(Progressive) policy and shopped around.

We found that Good Sam Club offered the best and most comprehensive RV Insurance out there - with a surprising $200 deductible on both Comprehensive & Collision. They offered many other options that we found desireable (Flat rate, no deductible contents insurance, camping & trip interruption insurance). Plus they beat a similar quote from Progressive (USAA) by over $250 for the year! We are diehard USAA consumers so we were quite surprised but wound up going with Good Sam's.

Note: We are Charter Good Sam's Club life members, so we do not incur a annual membership (even so it is only $30 or so...)
I remember a thread on here about GS insurance. They said that the premium doubled and they dropped them after the first year. I have GS towing, which also covers my cars at home and 100 miles towing free to anywhere you want to go. It also covers the same think like trip planning and interruption. I use to have AARP. I had a blow out and needed them, I had to pay I think it was a 75.00 extra for RV on the tow policy. Well they sent a guy in a car with a jack, when he got there he said he couldn't change it well DAH, I called a wrecker in town he changed it and I sent the bill to AARP who was using AMCO then.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I remember a thread on here about GS insurance. They said that the premium doubled and they dropped them after the first year.
I'm on my second year with GS. My premium went up about $100, but when I called GEICO, I found that their premium had also gone up by about $100 over the quote I got a year earlier.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
I'm on my second year with GS. My premium went up about $100, but when I called GEICO, I found that their premium had also gone up by about $100 over the quote I got a year earlier.
That's strange mine dropped about $120.00 a year after I called and complained to Hartford AARP and told them that I would cancel them. So they rewrote the policy. I had a 500 dollar vanishing deductible. But now I'm back to $500. Which is fine with me......

Old 11-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #20

I looked at GS and ended up with Progressive. Between the multi vehicle, multi policy, blah, blah it ended up being a few hundred cheaper with not a lot of difference in coverage.