Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2016, 09:14 AM   #81

I financed. Payment is low and I was able to get a nicer new one than a used. I generally do more than the minimum, which worked out well when we traded.

-Laura 2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH & 2015 Ram 1500 Hemi
actadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:58 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
That's because they somehow get kickbacks when they push ppl to finance. I don't know exactly how it works but as long as they are not a publicly traded bank they work with dealers for specials rates and kickbacks.

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I love messing with dealers on this finance stuff. The last two vehicles I bought I moaned and whined about how I couldn't handle a $500 or so monthly payment. They always wind up negotiating the deal to get the payment down to less that that. As long as they drop the price but do not increase the term you save money.

I make sure the finance contract specifically says no pre-payment penalty (dealers hate it when I spend 10-15 minutes reading every word in the contract). Then, I make one payment for the agreed amount and then a second payment the next month for the entire amount.

I keep remembering that whenever talking to a dealer most of us are at a disadvantage. Remember: the dealer is a professional negotiator and you're not. They have the upper hand.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:30 PM   #83

We got a loan from ourselves. We paid cash as we didn't want to be tied to a monthly payment. But - we are paying ourselves back what the monthly payment would have been to our savings account. In the long run we'll have our money back but if due to unforeseen circumstances we need to miss a payment or two to ourselves we don't have to worry about the repo man or negatively effecting our credit rating. My wife is an outstanding money manager and hasn't missed a payment yet. I know the bean counters will tell you to finance it and take the tax deduction but it wasn't worth the overall hassle to us never mind paying the finance charges and interest to someone else.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:59 PM   #84
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester Fred View Post
We got a loan from ourselves. We paid cash as we didn't want to be tied to a monthly payment. But - we are paying ourselves back what the monthly payment would have been to our savings account. In the long run we'll have our money back but if due to unforeseen circumstances we need to miss a payment or two to ourselves we don't have to worry about the repo man or negatively effecting our credit rating. My wife is an outstanding money manager and hasn't missed a payment yet. I know the bean counters will tell you to finance it and take the tax deduction but it wasn't worth the overall hassle to us never mind paying the finance charges and interest to someone else.
Thats awsome!
That's what I'm working towards!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:15 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester Fred View Post
X2, did the same with my DW's Lexus awhile back.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote