Old 07-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #11

If you don't move it why do you need a plate?

Old 07-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #12

Insurance

Currently we have all our vehicles, campers, house etc; covered under one policy. With that said, it has caused somewhat of a problem. One of our rvs', the sunnybrook is setting on a deeded lot in an RV park here in n.georgia and never to be towed again, unless it is sold. The other is a Crusader 270RT that we do in fact tow around the country side to camp in. Our insurance company it seems are treating the RV's just like they would be an automobile? Things like windshield replacement, lodging and lots of use..Is there a company that will insure these rv's separately as they are? Does that make sense?

2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #13

In Indiana, RVs (except pop ups) were taxed as property, as in you paid property taxes on it like your home. About 3-4 years ago, the county assessors didn't want to deal with it anymore. So the BMV took over and started slapping an excise tax on them like any other vehicle on the road. You have a $30 registration fee, then you're taxed according to the value of the vehicle. On my 261BHXL, that works out to around $200 for the first year (if you have looked up one of these, you know what they cost.) My Tuhndra, when new, was $485 to register and put plates on. I had a Professor from college (mid-90s) tell me that he paid over $500 to register his new BMW. So everything in Indiana is taxed according to value. Next spring we will most likely spend $700+ on plates and registration for both vehicles and the camper.
My camper is the only item not under the same insurance company as my home, auto, and life. It's under Progressive, and I can change my coverage on a month by month basis.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
Currently we have all our vehicles, campers, house etc; covered under one policy. With that said, it has caused somewhat of a problem. One of our rvs', the sunnybrook is setting on a deeded lot in an RV park here in n.georgia and never to be towed again, unless it is sold. The other is a Crusader 270RT that we do in fact tow around the country side to camp in. Our insurance company it seems are treating the RV's just like they would be an automobile? Things like windshield replacement, lodging and lots of use..Is there a company that will insure these rv's separately as they are? Does that make sense?
Is the deeded lot yours? Or does it belong to the campground and you pay a monthly rent to keep it there? If you own it and try to get the jnsurance company to treat it as a cabin, the state might come back and ask for property tax. To the insurance company, it is a vehicle. The only thing my agent asked me was where I kept it. I'd be curious to what others might say to your post.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
Lehman:
Just curious. If you took the wheels off (and maybe axle) could you insure as a manufacturtered home under separate policy? Vehicle insurance presumes you're gonna be on the road, which increases the risk!

Good insurance agent should be able to figure out what you need to do to insure as stationary mobile home?? I don't see any difference myself, once the wheels/axles are off. Even mobile homes can be moved (usually by a special moving company)
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #16

I cant say in Georgia but in Florida it is a law that any item considered a vehicle, that has a title issued must have current registration. I have had vehicles in a garage and when I went to license them I had to pay the fee back to the day I took possession so you save nothing by not registering them.

My wife manages a property that has resident owned mobile homes on rented lots and they must have a current registration as they are titled through the dmv. There are units there that have not been moved in 10 years and the state gets the registration fee yearly, and they check them monthly, both the state and the city to make sure they all have current stickers. She has 376 lots that are occupied just on her property, a great revenue producer for both the city, county and state as they all get a cut of the registration.

I played the game a few times and finally just accepted what it was and pay them each year, as my wife put it, if you cant afford the registrations you shouldn't have the vehicles. I had a motorcycle that was wrecked that I bought at auction and pushed it out in the drive ,,on a cart as it was really wrecked so I could pressure wash my floor and I got a friendly visit from the city police, checked all the paperwork on it and gave me a courtesy ticket that I had 72 hours to produce a registration in my name, I had to have him sign a vin verification statement and go to dmv and pull a current title in my name and submit it to avoid a fine. If you want to play you got to pay
Old 07-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #17

In California, there is a "Non-Operational" option when you get your registration renewal form. There is a small fee for that. If it is moved, then you must pay the regular fees. If it has it's axles removed, then you must pay property taxes on it. If you can't decide which way to go, ask to see a DMV Investigator. If they are available in your state, they can give you better answers than the clerk you usually deal with in the office. Good Luck and...

Happy Trails, Forrest

2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote