Old 07-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
Happy owner SOB

Do you register your TT or 5er in a different state than your primary home?

It seems Nevada has a rather high registration fee for our TT, I wondered if it was common to register in the state you spend the most time in with the TT. For example we will be 4 to 5 months a year in Texas and probably leave the TT there when we go back to Nevada for the summer.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

Around me, lots of people register their trailers in Maine. I think they said it is due to a one-time registration fee vs. yearly. I've heard that others use Montana somehow for tax avoidance reasons.

I don't know the legalities of either, though.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #3

if the camper is 'sitting' in texas then yes you can, but if your leaving it at your house, it may be tough to do so. I'm actually looking into doing it now with our camper, a $500 tax bill on a camper is a little insane. I can only imagine what my new camper will be in taxes
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
NELA

Just don't do it in a state that has "personal property" state taxes.

I've got kids/grandkids/extended family in Arkansas. JEEZE LOUISE! They'll tax ya on how many cows ya got! Add a fireplace? TAXED! Add a bedroom? TAXED!

DH was once considering a job transfer to Texarkana. There's Texarkana, Arkansas and Texarkana, Texas....not much separates 'em. We were gonna dang sure live on the TEXAS Side!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
It seems Nevada has a rather high registration fee for our TT, I wondered if it was common to register in the state you spend the most time in with the TT. For example we will be 4 to 5 months a year in Texas and probably leave the TT there when we go back to Nevada for the summer.
We are just starting to look to buy, so this is a question for us. But as a former insurance claims adjuster, you may want to check with your insurance company first!
Old 07-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

I don't know about where you live, but having a truck with one state's plate and a camper with another, will draw cops like flies to roadkill.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #7

1. You can form a LLC in Montana and take advantage of their low registration fees and no sales tax.
2. Several Montana attorneys have websites or free information phone numbers to explain and tell you ins and outs. Look in Motorhome magazine and Good Sam Mag.
3. Register your tow vehicle in same state as trailer, vehicles with different state registrations are red flags for law enforcement and can cause you problems.
4. If your home state challenges you and you lose in court you will have to pay big, including back fees. Lots of Californians did this in Oregon, California nailed them.
5. Many finance companies and insurance companies will not insure or finance you if your vehicle is in a LLC.
6. The hassle might not be worth it.
7. Registering a vehicle in a low tax/fee state you do not live in is risky.

Just info you need to consider.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #8

Sheriff, I have my truck registered in NV and my trailer in MO. Does not really save me anything because MO has personal property tax on the trailer. Your complaint is the Gov Serv and Suppl. GS fees I assume. I registered the trailer in MO because I have a house here and spend the summers from here. The trailer is stored in MO. Have never had an issue with different plates (knock on wood.)

Not sure if TX would allow the trailer to be registered there if you are not a property owner or resident.

If you are a veteran you may be able to claim under NRS 371.103 Exemption of vehicle registered by veteran.

Rockwood Windjammer 3002W (11/10/2011)
2011 Sierra Denali HD - Duramax/Allison
EQ-4, 14,000/1,400
2006 Yukon Denali
Rebel702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #9

fbconsults was pretty thorough on the Montana scenario. One added thing is the LLC would require an annual tax return filing. Most attny charged $150 for this. I did consider this when I was thinking about a DP motorhome.

Rockwood Windjammer 3002W (11/10/2011)
2011 Sierra Denali HD - Duramax/Allison
EQ-4, 14,000/1,400
2006 Yukon Denali
Rebel702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #10

Stationary RV's

We have our Sunnybrook parked on a lot in an RV resort here in our state. The TT has not moved in three years and there are no plans to move it in the next three years. With that said, we have purchased tag decals (paid property tax) on this TT for the last three years. We do not understand sense we do not plan to move it anywhere in the near future. It is parked and fully set up with lights, water and sewer connections, really more like a cabin that a TT.
Has anyone else faced this situation in there on state. Buying a tag for something that will never move again while we own seems a little silly.
We would appreciate any help someone could give us to answer this question.
Thanks

2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote