Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
Happy owner SOB

Do you register your TT or 5er in a different state than your primary home?

It seems Nevada has a rather high registration fee for our TT, I wondered if it was common to register in the state you spend the most time in with the TT. For example we will be 4 to 5 months a year in Texas and probably leave the TT there when we go back to Nevada for the summer.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
Always Learning

Around me, lots of people register their trailers in Maine. I think they said it is due to a one-time registration fee vs. yearly. I've heard that others use Montana somehow for tax avoidance reasons.

I don't know the legalities of either, though.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #3

if the camper is 'sitting' in texas then yes you can, but if your leaving it at your house, it may be tough to do so. I'm actually looking into doing it now with our camper, a $500 tax bill on a camper is a little insane. I can only imagine what my new camper will be in taxes
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
NELA

Just don't do it in a state that has "personal property" state taxes.

I've got kids/grandkids/extended family in Arkansas. JEEZE LOUISE! They'll tax ya on how many cows ya got! Add a fireplace? TAXED! Add a bedroom? TAXED!

DH was once considering a job transfer to Texarkana. There's Texarkana, Arkansas and Texarkana, Texas....not much separates 'em. We were gonna dang sure live on the TEXAS Side!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
It seems Nevada has a rather high registration fee for our TT, I wondered if it was common to register in the state you spend the most time in with the TT. For example we will be 4 to 5 months a year in Texas and probably leave the TT there when we go back to Nevada for the summer.
We are just starting to look to buy, so this is a question for us. But as a former insurance claims adjuster, you may want to check with your insurance company first!
HarleyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

I don't know about where you live, but having a truck with one state's plate and a camper with another, will draw cops like flies to roadkill.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #7

1. You can form a LLC in Montana and take advantage of their low registration fees and no sales tax.
2. Several Montana attorneys have websites or free information phone numbers to explain and tell you ins and outs. Look in Motorhome magazine and Good Sam Mag.
3. Register your tow vehicle in same state as trailer, vehicles with different state registrations are red flags for law enforcement and can cause you problems.
4. If your home state challenges you and you lose in court you will have to pay big, including back fees. Lots of Californians did this in Oregon, California nailed them.
5. Many finance companies and insurance companies will not insure or finance you if your vehicle is in a LLC.
6. The hassle might not be worth it.
7. Registering a vehicle in a low tax/fee state you do not live in is risky.

Just info you need to consider.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #8

Sheriff, I have my truck registered in NV and my trailer in MO. Does not really save me anything because MO has personal property tax on the trailer. Your complaint is the Gov Serv and Suppl. GS fees I assume. I registered the trailer in MO because I have a house here and spend the summers from here. The trailer is stored in MO. Have never had an issue with different plates (knock on wood.)

Not sure if TX would allow the trailer to be registered there if you are not a property owner or resident.

If you are a veteran you may be able to claim under NRS 371.103 Exemption of vehicle registered by veteran.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #9

fbconsults was pretty thorough on the Montana scenario. One added thing is the LLC would require an annual tax return filing. Most attny charged $150 for this. I did consider this when I was thinking about a DP motorhome.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #10

Stationary RV's

We have our Sunnybrook parked on a lot in an RV resort here in our state. The TT has not moved in three years and there are no plans to move it in the next three years. With that said, we have purchased tag decals (paid property tax) on this TT for the last three years. We do not understand sense we do not plan to move it anywhere in the near future. It is parked and fully set up with lights, water and sewer connections, really more like a cabin that a TT.
Has anyone else faced this situation in there on state. Buying a tag for something that will never move again while we own seems a little silly.
We would appreciate any help someone could give us to answer this question.
Thanks
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #11

If you don't move it why do you need a plate?
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #12

Insurance

Currently we have all our vehicles, campers, house etc; covered under one policy. With that said, it has caused somewhat of a problem. One of our rvs', the sunnybrook is setting on a deeded lot in an RV park here in n.georgia and never to be towed again, unless it is sold. The other is a Crusader 270RT that we do in fact tow around the country side to camp in. Our insurance company it seems are treating the RV's just like they would be an automobile? Things like windshield replacement, lodging and lots of use..Is there a company that will insure these rv's separately as they are? Does that make sense?
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #13

In Indiana, RVs (except pop ups) were taxed as property, as in you paid property taxes on it like your home. About 3-4 years ago, the county assessors didn't want to deal with it anymore. So the BMV took over and started slapping an excise tax on them like any other vehicle on the road. You have a $30 registration fee, then you're taxed according to the value of the vehicle. On my 261BHXL, that works out to around $200 for the first year (if you have looked up one of these, you know what they cost.) My Tuhndra, when new, was $485 to register and put plates on. I had a Professor from college (mid-90s) tell me that he paid over $500 to register his new BMW. So everything in Indiana is taxed according to value. Next spring we will most likely spend $700+ on plates and registration for both vehicles and the camper.
My camper is the only item not under the same insurance company as my home, auto, and life. It's under Progressive, and I can change my coverage on a month by month basis.
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
Currently we have all our vehicles, campers, house etc; covered under one policy. With that said, it has caused somewhat of a problem. One of our rvs', the sunnybrook is setting on a deeded lot in an RV park here in n.georgia and never to be towed again, unless it is sold. The other is a Crusader 270RT that we do in fact tow around the country side to camp in. Our insurance company it seems are treating the RV's just like they would be an automobile? Things like windshield replacement, lodging and lots of use..Is there a company that will insure these rv's separately as they are? Does that make sense?
Is the deeded lot yours? Or does it belong to the campground and you pay a monthly rent to keep it there? If you own it and try to get the jnsurance company to treat it as a cabin, the state might come back and ask for property tax. To the insurance company, it is a vehicle. The only thing my agent asked me was where I kept it. I'd be curious to what others might say to your post.
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
Lehman:
Just curious. If you took the wheels off (and maybe axle) could you insure as a manufacturtered home under separate policy? Vehicle insurance presumes you're gonna be on the road, which increases the risk!

Good insurance agent should be able to figure out what you need to do to insure as stationary mobile home?? I don't see any difference myself, once the wheels/axles are off. Even mobile homes can be moved (usually by a special moving company)
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #16

I cant say in Georgia but in Florida it is a law that any item considered a vehicle, that has a title issued must have current registration. I have had vehicles in a garage and when I went to license them I had to pay the fee back to the day I took possession so you save nothing by not registering them.

My wife manages a property that has resident owned mobile homes on rented lots and they must have a current registration as they are titled through the dmv. There are units there that have not been moved in 10 years and the state gets the registration fee yearly, and they check them monthly, both the state and the city to make sure they all have current stickers. She has 376 lots that are occupied just on her property, a great revenue producer for both the city, county and state as they all get a cut of the registration.

I played the game a few times and finally just accepted what it was and pay them each year, as my wife put it, if you cant afford the registrations you shouldn't have the vehicles. I had a motorcycle that was wrecked that I bought at auction and pushed it out in the drive ,,on a cart as it was really wrecked so I could pressure wash my floor and I got a friendly visit from the city police, checked all the paperwork on it and gave me a courtesy ticket that I had 72 hours to produce a registration in my name, I had to have him sign a vin verification statement and go to dmv and pull a current title in my name and submit it to avoid a fine. If you want to play you got to pay
thunderalley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #17

In California, there is a "Non-Operational" option when you get your registration renewal form. There is a small fee for that. If it is moved, then you must pay the regular fees. If it has it's axles removed, then you must pay property taxes on it. If you can't decide which way to go, ask to see a DMV Investigator. If they are available in your state, they can give you better answers than the clerk you usually deal with in the office. Good Luck and...

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote