Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2016, 05:02 PM   #1

Does Travel Trailer Negotiated Price Include "Dealer Prep Fees, Taxes, Etc."??

Hi Forum Friends,
We are getting closer to negotiating a price on a new 2017 Rockwood Mini Lite or Flagstaff Mini Lite and I've read quite a bit of info on MSRP and how a "good deal" will likely look like 30-35% off of that....

Could you tell me a bit about your experience with "after fees" that your dealer hits you with? When people speak about 30-35% off MSRP I'm assuming that discount is BEFORe those additional fees. Correct?

Just trying to get a pulse on what's going on in the current market. I don't want to get ripped off!

We are looking to purchase a 2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 or a Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

-Erica
ebell619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:49 PM   #2

Today's market is all about internet shopping. Shop the internet for similar equipped models. Include the deep discount dealers in your search. Now, decide who you would like to deal with and go see them or ask for a firm quote via E-Mail. Make sure you ask if there are any additional charges, and to include taxes. Remember there are significant discounts on year old units.

At closing they will always offer stuff like extended warranty. (be careful)

Sometimes cash works and sometimes they get a kickback on financing.

Only you know when you are comfortable with a deal, everyone is different.

Good Luck
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:02 PM   #3

Had no after fees at our dealer. I lookked at price ranges on my model before signing. Price was in the acceptable range, so no quibbling on my end.

-Laura 2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH & 2015 Ram 1500 Hemi
actadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:04 PM   #4
Site Team

Why don't you get quotes from RVW and RVDIRECT ?
They are possibly the top two RV "wholesalers" in the country.
They both sell Rockwoods and RVDIRECT also sells Flagstaff.
They have no nonsense pricing.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:27 PM   #5

Definitely take the quotes from both RVW and RVDIRECT with you when you go. Outfit the trailer the way you want on those websites, take the MSRP they provide, as well as their price to dealer. If dealer isn't willing to meet price, go to another dealer. i did this and ordered mine. They matched the RVW price. Don't pay the PDI or any other delivery fees either. taxes are an addition though. Also, if financing, research that too. Dealers almost always have a higher rate. Good luck.

Old TV- 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport (Hemi)- towing vehicle

DanoHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:33 PM   #6

to me, the "out the door" price is what matters,.... I don't care what that includes(dealer prep, Manager's Birthday fee, taxes, ect.), all dealers will have a list of fees, taxes, and other costs, which they will claim they "have no options with" and must add,..... and those will differ from one dealer to another, one will claim "we don't charge for dealer prep", but they may have a 1st, Monday of the Month fee.... so IMO what is important is that bottom line, "out the door" price,......which means I don't care how they divide it up, I want to know what the complete final price is,.... to me, knowing that price from each dealer, is the only way you can compare one dealer's price with another,.......

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
to me, the "out the door" price is what matters,.... I don't care what that includes(dealer prep, Manager's Birthday fee, taxes, ect.), all dealers will have a list of fees, taxes, and other costs, which they will claim they "have no options with" and must add,..... and those will differ from one dealer to another, one will claim "we don't charge for dealer prep", but they may have a 1st, Monday of the Month fee.... so IMO what is important is that bottom line, "out the door" price,......which means I don't care how they divide it up, I want to know what the complete final price is,.... to me, knowing that price from each dealer, is the only way you can compare one dealer's price with another,.......
HAHAHAHA!!! I love it. It is sooo true too. The RVW and RVDIRECT quotes won't include the taxes. Take their price, add your state tax rate (if any), and also the registration costs (in CA they are about 1%). Don't accept any other fees they try to add on. they will try to charge doc prep fees, tire waste fees, doc prep fees, and all sorts of junk. tell them the price you are willing to pay. they will also try the old, "what do you want your payment to be". Tell them you are going to finance somewhere else and all that matters to you is the TOTAL out the door price! Don't let them bully you. Start bidding at no less than 35% off MSRP. Got mine for 38% off.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:40 PM   #8
Site Team

You'll get the out the door price from both of those dealers.
That's why so many of us use their prices to shop with.
Most dealers know both companies and their low prices.
That's why they threaten customers with the "we won't service your RV if you buy from another dealer" threat.
That way they won't have to lower their prices.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 10-26-2016, 08:14 PM   #9
Site Team

I found that paying cash didn't help with the price. From my understanding the dealer will get some money when they finance the RV.

To compare apples to apples you need to clarified what all is included. Some dealers will give you the total price but many will start with the RV price before any of the add-ons like PDI, extended warranty, fees & whatever else are added to the RV price. In the end if it not listed in the contract then its not part of the deal.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Why don't you get quotes from RVW and RVDIRECT ?
They are possibly the top two RV "wholesalers" in the country.
They both sell Rockwoods and RVDIRECT also sells Flagstaff.
They have no nonsense pricing.
Definitely! I have done so and received excellent quotes. However, we live in Southern California and the only option I saw on my RV direct quote was $995 to pick up in Iowa! Unfortunately we aren't in a position to take a long road trip over the next 6 months to get it with both kids in school, etc.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get options to me in Southern California. Most everything is east coast
ebell619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebell619 View Post
Definitely! I have done so and received excellent quotes. However, we live in Southern California and the only option I saw on my RV direct quote was $995 to pick up in Iowa! Unfortunately we aren't in a position to take a long road trip over the next 6 months to get it with both kids in school, etc.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get options to me in Southern California. Most everything is east coast
I would just call them or e-mail them - most of the "internet dealers" will give you a price for delivery to your door. Now, the quality of the PDI may vary depending on how knowledgeable the driver is, but you can a price for the unit delivered to you. And as others stated, just compare "out the door" pricing including tax and delivery. There is a huge variation in how dealers price a trailer. Some low ball the price and make it up in fees, others give you a number that includes everything. Just make sure you have the true total when you do your comparison.

And - keep in mind that with a RV, only the selling dealer is obligated to do your warranty work. Other dealers and repair shops may or may not be willing to do your warranty work. So, buying from a dealer with a lousy service department to get the lowest price can be a real problem if you need warranty work. Or buying from far away means you need find somebody local to do service - which can be done, just something to consider as you make your decision.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #12

Quote:

I live in SOCal. I took my RVwholesalers.com quote to my dealer, and they matched it. I went with Giant RV, but any of them should do it. Make sure who even you go with, that it is convienent for you, in case you need service. that's why I went local. Don't buy the extended service contract either. through Forest river you can get a 2nd year warranty for $150. All you do is mail in form and payment. That's what i am doing. Or, you can order from RVW, and they will deliver to a dealer, or your door for you.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:41 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
EXACTLY. My "out the door" price was exactly what I negotiated and exactly what I brought a check for.

I didn't care how they got to it- no lie, they had a "$5 internet fee" .. I guess because I used email to communicate. Honestly, didn't care.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:44 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:

We almost bought from RVW.
They can deliver to you or anywhere in between.
We were going to meet the delivery guy halfway, in Wyoming.
I couldn't get any of the three California dealers to even match RVW's price plus delivery charges.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:00 PM   #15

Look on the internet for lowest price with no PDI. I have seen PDI as high as $1,000, while many charge $700. To make matters worse these dealers include the PDI as a taxable item which it is not.
Shop around.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoHB View Post
Definitely take the quotes from both RVW and RVDIRECT with you when you go. Outfit the trailer the way you want on those websites, take the MSRP they provide, as well as their price to dealer. If dealer isn't willing to meet price, go to another dealer. i did this and ordered mine. They matched the RVW price. Don't pay the PDI or any other delivery fees either. taxes are an addition though. Also, if financing, research that too. Dealers almost always have a higher rate. Good luck.
So, you basically knew you weren't going to buy from RVWholesalers and only used them to get the best deal you could. This type of attitude is a huge pet peeve of mine. You wasted someone's time that is out there trying to make a living knowing you weren't going to give them your business. Not to mention, if everyone did this, soon people trying to offer great prices like RVW will be out of business and then we'll all be at the mercy of the over-priced dealers. I'm on my 3rd trailer from RVWholesalers and they've always been great to work with. I've also shopped them against local dealers every time. I am up front with all of them that I'm price shopping and ask for their best price, but never show someone's quote to another dealer. FWIW and to the OP- You won't find a better dealer to work with than RVW and I can't recommend them more highly.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:17 PM   #17

Henry

Quote:
Hi Forum Friends,
We are getting closer to negotiating a price on a new 2017 Rockwood Mini Lite or Flagstaff Mini Lite and I've read quite a bit of info on MSRP and how a "good deal" will likely look like 30-35% off of that....

Could you tell me a bit about your experience with "after fees" that your dealer hits you with? When people speak about 30-35% off MSRP I'm assuming that discount is BEFORe those additional fees. Correct?

Just trying to get a pulse on what's going on in the current market. I don't want to get ripped off!

We are looking to purchase a 2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 or a Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

-Erica
I only talk about check writting price, tax,title,license
xomkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:11 PM   #18

Not all dealers include those things in the price. I know for a fact Camping World wants you to pay for those. Ask the dealer if it includes them BEFORE you make a final decision to buy. The dealer we love has a notice on the board, which states the price includes (then lists everything that is normally asked). Taxes, title, tag, and any add-ons you haven't already negotiated into the original price will be added no matter where you go.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
Look on the internet for lowest price with no PDI. I have seen PDI as high as $1,000, while many charge $700. To make matters worse these dealers include the PDI as a taxable item which it is not.
Shop around.
Worse: $1500 from Poulsbo RV in Washington state. But like others have said, it's the out-the-door price that matters.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:14 PM   #20

All good advice. Also when you do buy just remember to read ALL the
FR papers you are given. You only have something like 10 days for
certain extended warranties & the dealer is TOLD by FR NOT to tell you.
Ian Walker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, trailer, travel, travel trailer