Old 09-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #1

Dometic extended warranty

How do any of you feel about buying an extended warranty on appliances? In particular for the AC and the Fridge? AC=13.5KBTU the Fridge is little 6 CF gas/AC model; they want about $170 for the AC and $110 for the Fridge.

I suppose the best question should have been, who has dometic Fridges and AC units older than 5 years still working well?

This seems like (no... is) a lot for something that should last more than 5 years (they come with a 2 year warranty).

What'cha think?

Old 09-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #2

I purchased an extra 3 years on my fridge. That said, the only other extended warranty I purchased was the extra year from FR for $150.00. I decided to self ensure the remainder of the rig. Insurance in general is my largest annual living expense and I am tired of paying for it where I do not think it is necessary. It is always a crap shoot.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:21 PM   #3

Thanks D,
I also bought the extra year from FR. I suppose the best question should have been, who has dometic Fridges and AC units older than 5 years still working well?

I edited my post with this question, thanks again.

Wolf
Old 09-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #4

My answer is more of a philosophical response. Extended warranties and warranties you pay for are basically a form of insurance. Insurance has 2 purposes - 1) protect you against catastrophic loss should the insured events come to pass. 2) reduce the risk of future costs by betting you will have things go wrong. Complete loss of the fridge or AC in your RV is not a catastrophic event (devastates you financially) - the only possible exception I can see is that the RV is your full-time home, and you live in a climate and/or have a health condition that requires these appliances work.

If you self-insure, you would invest the cost of those extended warranties in accounts as a rainy-day fund for when things go wrong with those items. And probability says you will come out ahead, since the extended warranties are not offered at a loss (they are often more profitable than the sale of the item itself). The problem with self-insurance is that the risk is not spread across many units or people. There is a small but real chance that you could have costs that exceed the amount you set aside.

In my neck of the woods, the costs are about an hour's worth of repair labor with a couple of small parts. Obviously, the manufacturer does not expect to have claims on the majority of his extended warranties.

Other considerations in the decision would be the amount of the deductible and how much routine maintenance is expected (and must be documented) to support a claim. If the fridge and AC have to be serviced every year to maintain the warranty, then it is a really crummy deal. The other consideration is what the replacement cost with a new appliance (including installation labor) is. The latter is really the cap on your worst-case loss.

As you can tell, I'm not a big fan of paying for extended warranties. Others will have very different opinions.

just my thoughts and experiences, yours may differ
Fred W
Old 09-27-2014, 09:10 PM   #5

Excellent points pgandw. Many folks just feel better knowing there stuff is covered. Of course, if the manufacturers make money selling the extended plans, and we know they do, this tells us odds are we won't spend more than the warranty cost.

Tags
dometic, warranty