Old 04-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
Dried Food???

We are a family of 7 and plan to be on the road for 6 consecutive weeks this summer. Has anyone used dried foods? I'm looking at fruit, butter, milk, and eggs.

Roo 233S
Days Camped 2014 6 nights
Mcclan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
We have a Seal A Meal and will be using it to repackage and reseal dried foodstuffs on our trip later this year.
Not much of a fan of dried milk because you still need to pack water for it and it does not taste well.

Dries fruit and meats are great for quick snacks.

2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant
if you have a fridge, why would you need these?

unless you're going to be out in the boonies for the 6 weeks straight and never driving through any towns.
wouldn't you still run out of other food anyway and have to go to a store?

if you were a backpacker or talking about just dried food for snacks, then sure.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #4
My parents use to can everything, chicken, beef, stuff from the garden, than put the jars back in the boxes and store them under the bed.
Pennie and Chuck, Mandi and Polly (the little dogs)
2014 Georgetown XL378, 2013 Honda CR-V AWD Toad
Days Camped 2014 - 83, 2015 - 56, 2016 - 49 and counting

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #5
My wife and I are big fans of dried potato's. The weight differential here would be huge with a big family. You can do everything from hash browns to mashed and scalloped. Sam's has the large square boxes of mashed and Hash Browns.
Dried milk is great for using in cooking, or cups of hot cocoa. You can always get fresh, if the dried doesn't suit their taste buds, for drinking.
Dried eggs, aren't as good as fresh, but for scrambled with some bacon or sausage added, or baking, their great.

When I was young....just after the last dinosaur died,..... we ate everything but the plates when we went camping. Somebody was always ready to eat what we didn't want, if we decided to go hungry(I don't remember this last ever happening)

Think about canned ham also(not spam). It's great when added to scrambled eggs, or sliced and fried with eggs, or added to scalloped potatoes. My wife and I have been buying them at the Big Lots here when they run their big specials. We've canned our own beef before, and found the canned hams to be in the same price range, when all is said and done.
Just shop wisely. Most freeze dried stuff is pretty expensive. Great if your a prepper, but feeding a hungry horde of growing kids, not so much.

...and another thing. With that many mouths, don't be a stranger to a nice cooler, to keep larger meat(and frozen veggies), items in. A little meal planning(what you'll eat first on top, and working down), and not opening it anymore then needed, and the ability to refreeze the blue ice things, and you can stretch a decent cooler properly stocked before you leave, for a week or better. Keep them in the shade, and cover them with a blanket or rug.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #6
Two questions.
Are you going to be near a fishing area? Do you eat fish, if so maybe a few meals of fresh fish to help off set the need to bring meat. I usually try to prepare meals in advance and package them for either freezer, cupboard or fridge. Make some meals that your family loves and freeze them. A few years ago we had 5 adults and where gone almost a month. Instant potatoes instead of fresh, flat cuts of meats, hamburger in ziplock bags squashed flat, canned vegs instead of frozen. Used freezer for meats only. Worked great only had to shop for staples ie: milk, eggs and bread.
Al and Deb
Sarge, Sugar and Ginger
2006 Silverado "Predator"
2011 Greywolf 26rl "Wounded Wolf"
camped 2013 94 days 2014 24 days

nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:07 AM   #7
No thank you. Had enough of that stuff in the military.
M.R.E's -- Meals Ready To Eat..
Mike & Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #8
I do not even allow Bologna in my house......
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #9
X2 what bikendan said.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:42 AM   #10
The dried hash browns form SAMs are great and cheap. Once cooked you can't tell the difference.

the.wilsons is offline   Reply With Quote