Old 08-09-2017, 10:23 AM   #1

Duplicate title to sell ok?

I recently paid off my loan for my A122, and would like to sell it since I didn't use it this year and have no plans to camp next year either . The bank my dealer set me up with sent me a letter saying my loan was paid off, and to take this letter to NY DMV to get the title. The bank would not send me the original.

Is it okay to sell my camper to someone with just the duplicate title? There is a phrase on the duplicate title certificate saying this title may be subject to the holder of the original. That worries me.

2013 Grand Caravan
2013 Rockwood A122
MishaFoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:02 PM   #2
Kasual Kamper

As long as the liens are free and clear, you shouldn't have a problem as long as that can be verified. Some DMVs can be a PITA though, so you might want to ask them if that will be a problem.

JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:09 PM   #3

as a buyer I guess a copy of the loan paper you just got along with the dup title MIGHT do it to get the deal rolling... BUT I think as a buyer I would want the ORIGINAL title in my hand when/if a sale actually goes thru...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaFoomin View Post
I recently paid off my loan for my A122, and would like to sell it since I didn't use it this year and have no plans to camp next year either . The bank my dealer set me up with sent me a letter saying my loan was paid off, and to take this letter to NY DMV to get the title. The bank would not send me the original.

Is it okay to sell my camper to someone with just the duplicate title? There is a phrase on the duplicate title certificate saying this title may be subject to the holder of the original. That worries me.

Your best outcome would be to make a trip to the DMV with "paid in full" letter in hand. There, they can answer all the questions you need answered. This way there is no second guessing or worries!
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:22 PM   #5

Quote:

As I recall, when we paid off our 2007 Jayco in 2010, we never got an actual title from the bank and the "Title" was issued by the DMV when I took in the paper work. That was my dealings with our Title in our state, your's may be different. I've also sold numerous automobiles with duplicate titles and not the original.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:28 PM   #6

My state {Missouri}, I am pretty sure that a duplicate title makes the original void. With the loan release from the bank it should be free and clear.
It is best to check with the DMV in your state to make sure.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #7

I'd be careful with the duplicate title process. Why won't the bank send it? They have no use for it and it's the ONLY document that officially releases interest in the vehicle. A satisfied loan only means the loan was paid. There are other types of liens. I believe the bank is legally required to surrender the title. DMV may not accept your loan papers because they have already issued a title and a banks refusal to surrender may not be a good excuse for DMV to cut a duplicate. Having said all that if DMV does accept the loan papers and cuts you a title it won't be a duplicate. It would be an original. A duplicate would still show the bank as a lien holder and you would still need to get a signature of release. Vicious circle for sure. I'd be visiting the bank, loan papers in Hans demanding my title with a signed release.
Norcalace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:16 PM   #8
Site Team

Most likely the original title lists you as the owner and the bank as the lien holder. When you take you paid off ltr to DMV they should issue a new title with you as owner and no lien holder.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:16 PM   #9
D W

Quote:

You question should be: "Why won't they surrender the Title?" A letter stating that the loan is paid off is not proof of ownership. The bank placed a lien on your A122. Until that lien is satisfied on the Title, the lien is still in effect.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:17 PM   #10

I did a google search and looked up New York State Department of Motor Vehicles
Lien Release
NYSDMV Title Services
Department of Motor Vehicles
6 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12228-0331
The DMV will mail your new title certificate (that does not list the lien) in 60 to 90 days. The title certificate must be mailed to you; a DMV office cannot give you the title certificate.
My title certificate is lost and I need to remove a lien. What can I do?
Send an Application for a Duplicate Certificate of Title (MV-902) and the original proof that indicates that the lien is satisfied to the address above, or bring them to a DMV office. The DMV processes a duplicate title certificate that does not list the lien and mails the certificate to you. The fee is $20.00. If you request that the DMV remove a lien when you apply for a duplicate title certificate, you can apply by mail or at a DMV office.
Still best to check at the local DMV office and they should have the required paper work. Best of luck!
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
You question should be: "Why won't they surrender the Title?" A letter stating that the loan is paid off is not proof of ownership. The bank placed a lien on your A122. Until that lien is satisfied on the Title, the lien is still in effect.
The letter also said all liens were released, and the DMV took this letter from me.
2013 Grand Caravan
2013 Rockwood A122
Old 08-09-2017, 01:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattsworld View Post
I did a google search and looked up New York State Department of Motor Vehicles
Lien Release
NYSDMV Title Services
Department of Motor Vehicles
6 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12228-0331
The DMV will mail your new title certificate (that does not list the lien) in 60 to 90 days. The title certificate must be mailed to you; a DMV office cannot give you the title certificate.
My title certificate is lost and I need to remove a lien. What can I do?
Send an Application for a Duplicate Certificate of Title (MV-902) and the original proof that indicates that the lien is satisfied to the address above, or bring them to a DMV office. The DMV processes a duplicate title certificate that does not list the lien and mails the certificate to you. The fee is $20.00. If you request that the DMV remove a lien when you apply for a duplicate title certificate, you can apply by mail or at a DMV office.
Still best to check at the local DMV office and they should have the required paper work. Best of luck!
This is the exact thing I did.

And for those who say "go to the bank," it's not local to me. They have no offices here. I can only talk to them on the phone, which I did.
2013 Grand Caravan
2013 Rockwood A122
Old 08-09-2017, 01:51 PM   #13
D W

Quote:
This is the exact thing I did.

And for those who say "go to the bank," it's not local to me. They have no offices here. I can only talk to them on the phone, which I did.
Sure looks like your bank "lost" the original Title, and as such, they saddled you with the DMV paperwork and the fee. A real customer-oriented financial institution, huh?

Nothing to be surprised about. Thousands of houses around the US have been sitting empty for years pending foreclosure due to the banks not being able to locate the Deeds.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:03 PM   #14

Quote:
The letter also said all liens were released, and the DMV took this letter from me.
Why didn't you just say that in the first place?
Norcalace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:30 PM   #15
Just as confused as you

Some states are going with a paperless title to the lien holder. The letter the bank sent you is the notice of lien release. You take it to your local DMV and they will issue you a title with you as the owner and no lienholder listed.

I just went through it with my truck. No problem at all.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:52 PM   #16

In minnesota you get the title sent to you when you buy and apply for change if there is a loan it is listed on the title that is sent to you when you buy it the bank does not get the title. When the loan is paid off the bank sends you a lien release you keep with the title and is passed to buyer when you sell it or you can take the lien release and the title in and have the lien removed and a new title sent to you.
1994 coachman class A
2005 3100SS sunseeker class c
Fkrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:27 PM   #17

You are perfectly OK selling with a duplicate title. A letter from your bank is not worth the paper it is written on unless there is a lien release with the DMV. Banks may, at times, be a little sluggish in sending the paperwork to the DMV. Make certain the bank knows you intend to sell in the immediate future. Your duplicate title should show no liens.

We have sold/traded vehicles where we did not have title in hand even though the vehicle was free of liens. It was accomplished by applying for a lost or stolen title, then transferring title at the same time. It saves time. But make sure that the DMV has recorded the lien release.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:40 PM   #18

Out of curiosity, I called the bank holding the loan (Sioux Falls SD) on our new 2018 regarding the "Title Holder" and I was told that "no actual title existed and I would be issued the Title when the loan was paid in full and I took the paperwork to the DMV (Nebraska), where they would issue what would then be..."The original Title."
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Out of curiosity, I called the bank holding the loan (Sioux Falls SD) on our new 2018 regarding the "Title Holder" and I was told that "no actual title existed and I would be issued the Title when the loan was paid in full and I took the paperwork to the DMV (Nebraska), where they would issue what would then be..."The original Title."
A lot of states are handling it this way and it makes sense. As long as the bank gets the lien release done in a timely manner.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:30 PM   #20
King of the Road

Quote:

In Colorado, lenders are required by law to send you the original title. Might want to check on it there.

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat