Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2015, 01:50 PM   #21

It takes me less than a minute to run down my rear stabilizers with the hand crank or an electric drill. To me our 36 foot fifth wheel toyhauler is just as easy to set up and level as was our 22 foot TT. But after 30 years of leveling its old hat. We have no electric leveling system, no electric stabilizers. Only the front landing gear is electric. Yes it might be nice to have but not necessary.

Our dealer is less than 5 miles away & it is great to get service or just pop in for a question........ I know that many dealers will do warranty work but most take their own customers first.

Good Luck........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:08 PM   #22
Grandpa's big Blue truck

We have electric stabilizer jacks they are ok but still use two bottlejacks on the front spring hangers they help but are not perfect if you are setting up a lot electric l probably a good choice
Love camping with grandkids
russellsawatsky 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyCrockett View Post
My DH and I are new to the RV camping world. (really - any camping) But we live in beautiful Tennessee with wonderful state and national parks just a hop, skip and jump away. We have decided we need to get out and enjoy them before we die. We also have motorcycles that we would like to have the option of taking with us to camp. I have spent a great deal of time on these forums and am quite impressed at the information you all share with each other. Since we are new to this, are not retired and want to spend our time camping- as opposed to repairing a camper, we have decided to buy a new toy hauler TT. The one we are looking at is the Grey Wolf 26RR. We are still really deciding whether to take the plunge and want to know what the capital outlay is so we have been cross-shopping dealers. Surprisingly, the local Camping World has come to the table and price-matched another out of state dealer that is a 5 hour drive. The only difference between the trailers we are looking at is that one has electric stabilizer jacks (out of state) and the local one does not. CW is willing to compensate for this in the pricing, but my question is - is it worth the effort to deal with the out of state dealer and get the jacks? Or is it a more important value to have a dealer closer to home to deal with problems?

I have the electric stablizers on my present TT and now would not do without them. Press a button and you are done. The quicker I get setup, the quicker I can relax, burn some wood and drink a beer. :-)
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:46 PM   #24

Thumbs up Shopping campers

I went all the way from Birmingham to Detroit to buy my camper. Got quotes from dealers in North Carolina, Nashville, Pennsylvania and Detroit. I saved $7,400.00! Back in April. This was our third camper purchase and we knew what we wanted. I spent $550.00 going to get it.

I bought the warranty and Forrest River dealers are everywhere. I think it's better to save that kind of money rather than being inconvenienced.

Local dealers would not give me a great deal. Really not even a good deal really.

Enjoy Life go camping
lynn brownlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:48 PM   #25

I had both styles of jacking systems on a toy hauler. I will never go back to the old jacks again. the electric jacks all you do is push a button and it dose the work for you in about 2 min's. Depending on slope and location it could take 30 to 45 min's to level manually and you never get it truly level.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:51 PM   #26

Remote control stabilizing jacks are sweet, the older you get the more you appreciate them
Old 02-24-2015, 03:03 PM   #27

Thanks OldCoot! That is exactly what I want to do. Glad to know that it takes care of the bounce. Until I get a few extra coins I will do what DonandDona are doing and use my bottle jacks. Nice job by the way on your installation. Thanks again.

Tired of having to be still while my wife does her eye makeup!
Scott619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by j free View Post
I had both styles of jacking systems on a toy hauler. I will never go back to the old jacks again. the electric jacks all you do is push a button and it dose the work for you in about 2 min's. Depending on slope and location it could take 30 to 45 min's to level manually and you never get it truly level.
?????? Sorry how can it take 30-40 minutes to level ??? I can level our camper in a couple minutes???? I back in or pull into the site check my level if it needs blocks under one side put them at the wheels pull on them & done, all that is left is to unhook the truck & put down the stabilizers. takes me longer to decide where I want it on the site..........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:30 PM   #29

I have had both and I prefer the manual because they are indivual and stabilize better than the electric which come down together
davidjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:35 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjb View Post
I have had both and I prefer the manual because they are indivual and stabilize better than the electric which come down together
Until (1) meets resistance then the other continues! Youroo!! This is Elec.Type!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:42 PM   #31

Yes thank you youroo..and because of the way the electric ones work you still get some side to side movement
Old 02-24-2015, 03:48 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

My brother in law and I have almost identical trailers. He has manual, I have electric stabs. Often he can put down his manual ones with his drill faster than I can run down my electric. Now that I have the JT Strongarms installed he's guaranteed to be faster (but I'm more stable )

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-24-2015, 04:05 PM   #33

Go with local dealer and get a good rechargeable drill, had same jacks 2 5ers ago, worked fine!
Old 02-24-2015, 04:08 PM   #34

If you have a toy hauler and using the 'stabilizers'... There is a chance you will bend them when they are exstended.

imo..... leave out the stabilizers and add good scissor jacks. They give much more stability to the unit. 'I use 'quick release' removable brackets on my scissor jacks so that they are not hanging down as I travel down the road.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:12 PM   #35
RiderBloke

DaisyCrockett, check out some of the threads on the 26RRs in these forums, and also the 25 & 19RRs. I used their wisdom to also order a 26RR with all the bells and whistles and am going to use a 2014 Tundra to tow it. Great choice IMHO. There are some pimp threads that give great ways to enhance the trailer for storage especially. Hope we both get good service out of the 26RR.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:16 PM   #36

Tundra

2012 tundra / love the tundra / pulls 10,500 # like it's not there.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:18 PM   #37
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjb View Post
Yes thank you youroo..and because of the way the electric ones work you still get some side to side movement
Sorry to disagree, have had both and much prefer the elec. stabilizer jacks with the reinforced legs. Eliminates all side to side motion.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:33 PM   #38

Not familiar with reinforced legs, do you mean with jt strongarms
Old 02-24-2015, 10:23 PM   #39
campr-pete

Have had both scissor jacks and electric. Our new unit has electric, stabilizing the trailer with either takes about the same amount of time, but less effort with the electric. I always had a reason to use the cordless drill and when I went to use it I had to remember what I done with the darn socket. There is a trick that will aid in the use of either and will make them stabilize the trailer better, use leveling or wood blocks to keep the stabilizer feet as far out as possible fully extending them draws the feet closer to the center of the trailer, I use the same blocks used for side to side leveling under the wheels. It helps with the scissor jacks, when thay are extended more than about 18" they also get flimsy. Just my 2cents.
campr-pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:24 PM   #40

I just ordered a new Rockwood. Dealer
talked me out of them saying they work in
pairs and you give up the individual control. I
don't know if that's true but another dealer mentioned
this as well and was against it too. I was also
mentioned they were very slow as opposed to your
Cordless drill. Wider what others say?
robbdrell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, jacks