Old 02-24-2015, 09:27 PM   #41
I have the manual scissor jack and use a drill on them. As DS would say "easy peasy"

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2014 Surveyor SC321BHTS
2016 Ford F150 Eco
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:48 PM   #42
I have the electric stabilizers on my fiver and they are OK but I found they loosen up from walking around inside so you have to reset them once in a while but they are fine. I have since added some scissor Jacks by the axels and with them down with the stabilizers down their is a big difference so much better. no bounce and wiggle and I built some JT style stabilizers and it sits solid and stable like a House not a trailer....

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:24 AM   #43
I agree, you put blocks under the stabilizers and you have less movement.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:39 AM   #44
Mod free 5er
Originally Posted by davidjb View Post
Not familiar with reinforced legs, do you mean with jt strongarms
I reinforced the flimsy legs by splitting a 2-1/2" sq. x 1/8" wall tubing and welding it to the outside of the leg.

I only have an alum covered plastic block under the pads and never use wood blocks. I have found the closer the legs are to 45, the more stable the trailer is with no side to side movement. I do have homemade JT Strongarms on the rear jacks and the landing jacks, but very seldom tighten them. The addition of the jacks in front of the axle and the Bal X Chocks are sufficient.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stab Leg reinforcments.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	70228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front landing jak pad.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	70229   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00460.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	70230  
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:51 AM   #45
I think I have seen those Jacks before! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:58 AM   #46
Mod free 5er
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I think I have seen those Jacks before! Youroo!!
Duh, I find that hard to comprehend. Thanks to Herk & Youroo, I have less than $75 cash in the axle jacks. BTW Gary, the axle jacks are quieter than the rear factory jacks.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:22 AM   #47
I have the front and rear electric stabs and found I had a lot of "bounce" inside. Placed a pair of scissor jacks in front of the axles and the bounce is almost eliminated. If I will be in a site for more than 4 days I'll use a ratchet strap across the back stabs. Makes the TT solid.

But the OP's question would be is it worth the money for the electric stabs?

At first, I thought wow, fancy smancy! But the scissor jack goes up and down in :04 as opposed to the electric stabs at 30-40 seconds and the noise they make in a quiet campground. If I had to do over, I'd go with the scissor jacks.

When I was a kid, my daddy said I didn't need a 10 speed bike, just something else to break.

My .02.
2012 Flagstaff V Lite 30 WRLTS
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7 Mag Hemi 3.72 Rearaxle
Nights camped 2015 = 23
Nights camped 2016 = 12!
Bamaganza '16 site A25 Maybe
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:42 PM   #48
Send a message via Skype™ to stillontheroad
When it comes down to it the dealer doesnt matter. Go with the best deal. As far as electric jacks are concerned... you will see a warning in your manual that says "do not extend your jacks more than a few seconds once they touch the ground. That is because the motors cannot handle it. My motor got water in it and sized up (poor seal) so I took it off, threw it away and use the hand crank. That way I can trighten the rear jack more for stability. I say forget the rear power jack and save your money.
stillontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:45 PM   #49
Professional Texan
I have electric stabilizers, they were standard equipment on my trailer. They have a very low gear and are a little slow but I have to say I like them. Then again I'm getting older. As far as trailer shake and stability, there a lot of factors. My trailer's stability varies with campsite level etc. I'm not sensitive enough to the shake to make me want to spend a lot of time and money trying to get a 30' trailer that I just towed 400 miles and then expect it to be the Rock of Gibraltar
Texas Bob
2015 Chevrolet Silverado HD2500 Z71
2013 Prime Time Tracer Executive 2640 RLS

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:09 AM   #50
Spent a month in our new Vibe 268RKS which came with dual electric stabilizers, slow and loud to deploy and way too much movement on blocks or not. Our previous Fleetwood Wilderness had four point manual scissors which worked great and deployed faster.

BradB is offline   Reply With Quote

electric, jacks