Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2015, 12:09 PM   #1

Electric stabilizing jacks - worth it?

My DH and I are new to the RV camping world. (really - any camping) But we live in beautiful Tennessee with wonderful state and national parks just a hop, skip and jump away. We have decided we need to get out and enjoy them before we die. We also have motorcycles that we would like to have the option of taking with us to camp. I have spent a great deal of time on these forums and am quite impressed at the information you all share with each other. Since we are new to this, are not retired and want to spend our time camping- as opposed to repairing a camper, we have decided to buy a new toy hauler TT. The one we are looking at is the Grey Wolf 26RR. We are still really deciding whether to take the plunge and want to know what the capital outlay is so we have been cross-shopping dealers. Surprisingly, the local Camping World has come to the table and price-matched another out of state dealer that is a 5 hour drive. The only difference between the trailers we are looking at is that one has electric stabilizer jacks (out of state) and the local one does not. CW is willing to compensate for this in the pricing, but my question is - is it worth the effort to deal with the out of state dealer and get the jacks? Or is it a more important value to have a dealer closer to home to deal with problems?
DaisyCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #2

CW is going to (Compensate?) How? Put Elect stabilizers on or Reduce the price (1000$) Youroo!! Welcome!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
CW is going to (Compensate?) How? Put Elect stabilizers on or Reduce the price (1000$) Youroo!! Welcome!
X2
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:30 PM   #4

Price reduction.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #5

I'd stay with the closer to home dealer. We have never have the electric stabilizers in 30+ years of camping. I am sure they are nice to have but not needed.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyCrockett View Post
My DH and I are new to the RV camping world. (really - any camping) But we live in beautiful Tennessee with wonderful state and national parks just a hop, skip and jump away. We have decided we need to get out and enjoy them before we die. We also have motorcycles that we would like to have the option of taking with us to camp. I have spent a great deal of time on these forums and am quite impressed at the information you all share with each other. Since we are new to this, are not retired and want to spend our time camping- as opposed to repairing a camper, we have decided to buy a new toy hauler TT. The one we are looking at is the Grey Wolf 26RR. We are still really deciding whether to take the plunge and want to know what the capital outlay is so we have been cross-shopping dealers. Surprisingly, the local Camping World has come to the table and price-matched another out of state dealer that is a 5 hour drive. The only difference between the trailers we are looking at is that one has electric stabilizer jacks (out of state) and the local one does not. CW is willing to compensate for this in the pricing, but my question is - is it worth the effort to deal with the out of state dealer and get the jacks? Or is it a more important value to have a dealer closer to home to deal with problems?
I would go with option #2...you'll be happy when something goes wrong to have a dealer close by.
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:52 PM   #7
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I don't have a TH but I do have the elect stabilizer. It's not enough for me. I also use bottle jacks under the frame at the front axels. That being said I would go for price reduction also.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:55 PM   #8

Electric stab jacks

I have never had them on any of my fifth wheels, either, but the next one I buy will have them. They are very convenient (check with any upscale motorhome owner) but if you're not yet retired, perhaps you don't mind getting out and leveling. I'll also get the automatic power cord roller (50 amp). I'm in pretty good shape for 64 years old (I wrestle with my high school wrestling team kids) but I don't like all of the rigamarole to get settled into a spot and then having to haul around that 50 amp cord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyCrockett View Post
sfsgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:07 PM   #9

Thank you guys for your input. My gut also says to go with the local dealer and just take along a drill.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:11 PM   #10

This is a Pull type TH with No slides, units with slides have jacks standard but they are Not the (Other Option Elec.Jacks). Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:11 PM   #11

I just bought a TT with electric jacks so haven't had the chance to use them. All previous TT had nonelectric so I just brought with an cordless drill to raise and lower them. Like others have said local would be nice.

(2013 Ford F150 Crewcab Ecoboost traded)
Mowgli64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #12
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

When I ordered my 2016 5er, the MSRP for the Lippert Ground Control 3.0 six point system was $2995 plus installation. My local dealer offered to add them to the factory order for what he said was cost $1570. I thought it was worth it and added them to the order. So if the offer is to take $1,000 off, I'd ask for a bigger cut. Just my 2zents.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:14 PM   #13

I've had manual, electric and now the 6 point auto level. I have always messed with tweaking and leveling. Drives me nuts. I really liked the electric stabilizers on my Wildcat and I love the 6 point.

Will CW add the electric and price match as an option? The older I get the more I like to push a button and I am always smacking my head or knees or elbows on something. It's very nice not crawling around. Especially if you set up in the dark any.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:20 PM   #14

I have a 5th wheel without them and would not buy again without them. They are not perfect, but they are better than the options. You are mature and want to enjoy life. If you can afford them get em. The point about being close for warranty work is valid, but you can get warranty work done at any factory authorized shop. So contact the factory and ask where the nearest factory authored shop is. Good luck and happy RV'g.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:27 PM   #15

I'm guessing this is a travel trailer and not a fifth wheel? Maybe a compromise would be a front power jack, up by the hitch. Had one on the last TT and it sure beat hand cranking. Would highly recommend, and it is a dealer added option.
NCBBA11043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:28 PM   #16

Some are talking apples & oranges............ electric stabilizing jacks & electric leveling jacks are two totally different animals............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:30 PM   #17

I have a semi related question. Has anyone added a third electric stabilizer in front of the front axle to take the flex out of the trailer frame?
Scott619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:35 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott619 View Post
I have a semi related question. Has anyone added a third electric stabilizer in front of the front axle to take the flex out of the trailer frame?
Yes, altho modified, and they work great in taking the bounce out of the trailer due to the tires/suspension.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00455.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	70145   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00458.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	70146   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00460.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	70147   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00461.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	70148   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00459.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	70149  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Reinforced Stab Jack Leg.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	70150  
Old 02-24-2015, 01:36 PM   #19

The model in question is the Grey Wolf 26RR which is a Toy Hauler Travel Trailer (TV is a '13 Toyota Tundra 5.7L), so it is just stabilizer jacks, not leveling jacks, as one would have on a heavier trailer (ie - 5th wheel). I definitely will not purchase one without a power tongue lift but both of the specific units do have one.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:42 PM   #20

Good decision I feel on your part. I have the electric stabilizers on our new 2014 Flagstaff but also find myself out there with scissor jacks as well. When I spoke to the dealer about my use of those stabilizers, you would had thought he was talking about the next best thing to apple pie! They will stabilize to a certain point and then nothing more. Just my humble opinion.
jmwsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, jacks