Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #81

Never had anything stolen. I have left the site and gotten and hour or so down the road and remembered I left something at the site
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar3316 View Post
when we left a bunch of regulars (they looked like it at least) raised there glass to my son and said "you make us old folks proud son".

Needless to say I was flabbergasted what kind of society do we live in that we feel the need to praise a 15yr old for owning up to his mistakes.

Don't get me wrong I AM PROUD of my sons, but a restaurant of praise for 1 apology. It should be the norm not the oddity.
In a time where even grade 1 kids yell and scream at teachers, disrespect the law and property of others as a general way of live its gr8 to hear that boys like yours and mine were taught the proper way to behave.
My oldest son - now 26 served his first mission tour in Afghanistan at age 21.
While others his age and younger were breaking into homes and cars he was studying and working hard towards securing freedoms of others.
That upbringing started when he was old enough to know right from wrong - or about age 5.
Thank your boy for being man enough to walk over there and do what was right - even if it was parent prompted initially.
We all choose how to act and do what we do, right or wrong and the difference is owning up to wrong decisions and making them right.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
Never had a problem with track campers. Their usually at the track or too drunk to carry off someone elses stuff.
I'm usually there long before everyone shows up so I'm not too worried about fellow campers. I actually feel better when there are more around. But I have caught people on a few occasions trying to steal stuff. About 3 years ago a guy in Charlotte had an outdoor theater set up with projector, speakers and inflatable screen. I caught a few guys walking by my site with the speakers and I stopped them, got the speakers and returned them to the guy. Turns out they broke into his basement. But this is very rare and these guys were a could drunk idiots that acted like they didn't know any better. And the guys doing the stealing weren't campers, they were walking back to their car.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #84
Mod free 5er

Quote:
You know its a funny thing. We were in Parker AZ (Colorado River town in the summer snow bird in the winter) this last week and my wife sons and I were playing around at the breakfast table in this cafe and my son (the 15yr old) shot a straw wrapper at us and missed. It went sailing past and hit a group behind us. They took it in stride, I was mortified, and my son was a little embarrassed. I told him to go over and apologize for disturbing their breakfast, with just a little procrastination he knew he had to do the right thing and went over and said sorry for hitting them with the straw wrapper.

I could not believe what happened next, The gentleman got up and thanked me for raising a fine young man, the waitress said in 12 years of working there she had never witnessed a parent making their kid do anything like that, and when we left a bunch of regulars (they looked like it at least) raised there glass to my son and said "you make us old folks proud son".

Needless to say I was flabbergasted what kind of society do we live in that we feel the need to praise a 15yr old for owning up to his mistakes.

Don't get me wrong I AM PROUD of my sons, but a restaurant of praise for 1 apology. It should be the norm not the oddity.
SIR, I would like to shake your hand and your son's hand. Fantastic, and I agree with you 100%. From an old coot that was raised the same way. Sometimes raised by a hand, if you get my meaning.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
From an old coot that was raised the same way. Sometimes raised by a hand, if you get my meaning.
I'm sure that along with yourself, I also got my fair share of well deserved discipline. It didn't kill me nor did it make me hate everyone.
It taught me to respect the law, the rights and freedoms of others and to be more helpfull to those in need.

Proper manners begins at home - not with time outs where you get sent to a room full of games, a cell phone, TV and a massive stereo.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #86
Another rat in the race

oh don't get me wrong my kids are no angels I have had a hand in their upbringing for quite a few years, but I do send my 15yr old to his room now also the trick is in our house is, rooms are for quiet play so a teenagers room in our house looks a little different than most, no TV, Stereo, Cell phone, Computer, pretty much just bed, clothes, book (digital and print), radio (if I can hear it with the door closed its mine), and board games/deck of cards not much else.

Its a funny thing to see him in there after getting punished playing solitaire at his desk. I should buy him a tin can.

but back on topic if you lock your disconnect box how would you disconnect the power at the breaker in a hurry and wouldn't the cg have an issue with that?
Old 07-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #87

if you lock your disconnect box how would you disconnect the power at the breaker in a hurry

Answer - you can't.
Thats why I went with a progressive industries hard wired unit which permits timely unplugging at the pole.

fried my inverter 2nd week when 240 volt went through the line for an hour. took seconds for the damage. Never again.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #88

Quote:
if you lock your disconnect box how would you disconnect the power at the breaker in a hurry

Answer - you can't.
Thats why I went with a progressive industries hard wired unit which permits timely unplugging at the pole.

fried my inverter 2nd week when 240 volt went through the line for an hour. took seconds for the damage. Never again.
i fully agree on the surge guard....

but i dont see how having that speeds up cord removal unless its unlocked to begin with......putting you right back at our original issue?...unlocked and potentially stolen cord?
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #89

Mine is Hard Wired inside the Trailer at the end of the run before going into the invertor.
They can cut the wiring up to the trailer body if they want but they can't get the surge protector.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #90
Another rat in the race

I was just thinking the cg would have an issue with you locking them out of their pole breaker, possible safety issue mostly. I would worry about the cg not covering a problem because of a loop hole like "we were locked out and could not stop said problem" or maybe that's the Southern California in me trying to out smart the law suits that fly around here.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #91
Site Team

Quote:
I was just thinking the cg would have an issue with you locking them out of their pole breaker, possible safety issue mostly. I would worry about the cg not covering a problem because of a loop hole like "we were locked out and could not stop said problem" or maybe that's the Southern California in me trying to out smart the law suits that fly around here.
You could always check with the campground.

I have locked the breaker box in front of the ranger at the state park and he didn't say anything. A heavy lock won't fit through the box hole in the campgrounds I stay at.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #92

Quote:
Mine is Hard Wired inside the Trailer at the end of the run before going into the invertor.
They can cut the wiring up to the trailer body if they want but they can't get the surge protector.
ahhh...i see...so basically the trailer end is "locked" to the trailer.... My 50ft 50amp cord attaches on BOTH ends...but i guess if one end is locked and they go through the trouble of cutting that, it doesnt make much of a diff if the other end is too....they are getting what they want!..

although it would not be as easy as taking a 25ft 30amp or 50amp....i dont know what the gauge is on my cord off the top of my head, but i can tell you that it looks like a sewer hose and weighs about 100+lbs and is a PAIN to corral and get back into the front storage! LOL...many o curse words have come from my camp as i tried to "manage" that snake back into custody!
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
i do too, now the parents would come over and blame us for leaving them out and tempting their innocent little fellows. Strange world we live in now. No one wants to take the blame for their own actions. It's always somebody else's fault.

Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #94

Several years ago I had a gallon of rubber roof cleaner stolen from my storage compartment while camping in Myrtle Beach. They must have needed it more than I did.
Nights camped in 2021 Flagstaff: 2021(151) 2020(109)
Nights camped in 2009 Rockwood: 2019(62) 2018(33) 2017(25) 2016(31) 2015(34) 2014(37) 2013(36) 2012(37) 2011(21) 2010(48) 2009(33) 2008(18).
Brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush View Post
Several years ago I had a gallon of rubber roof cleaner stolen from my storage compartment while camping in Myrtle Beach. They must have needed it more than I did.
It mixes real well with Southern Comfort for an extra smooth drink - so I've heard.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:14 AM   #96

We've never had any problems in our 10 years of camping at any camp grounds but while in storage someone tried to break into our trailer with a pry bar. They also tried to steal my propane tanks, but fortunately the tanks were locked and they didn't get them. They didn't get in our trailer but they did a couple hundred bucks worth of damage to the door. Found out later that the "on site" manager was stealing from his clients and using people's propane tanks to cook meth and whatever stuff he stole for was buying his supplies. Needless to say we found a new storage facility.
2013 Cardinal 3030RL
B&W Companion Hitch
“Trail Air” air bag pin box
jt1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #97

Only thing we've had taken was our sewer hose! Yuk!!
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #98

I know someone who had their 1 year old Monaco motohome stolen from a storage facility in southern California and it hasn't been found yet. The athorities think it went south of the border into Mexico.
Good part was that they had insurance that gets them a brand new one instead of the money. So they now have a 2012 Monaco 40ft
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #99
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
A good chain w/ a lock generally will keep the honest people that way. The hard core criminal types only understand something a little more potent, generally in the form of Colt or Smith & Wesson. You can generally trust your neighbors in CGs. I've been doing this for the past 40+ years and have not had a problem. The RVers of today generally watch out for one another. I've never considered rolling up hoses or shore cords. I do however, chain my surge guard unit to the pedestal (a 50 amp unit costing north of $500).

That you are aware of the potential should keep you & yours safe.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
A good chain w/ a lock generally will keep the honest people that way. The hard core criminal types only understand something a little more potent, generally in the form of Colt or Smith & Wesson. You can generally trust your neighbors in CGs. I've been doing this for the past 40+ years and have not had a problem. The RVers of today generally watch out for one another. I've never considered rolling up hoses or shore cords. I do however, chain my surge guard unit to the pedestal (a 50 amp unit costing north of $500).

That you are aware of the potential should keep you & yours safe.

Surge Protection is high dollar item. That's why my new power management system is hardwired behind a locked door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new 006.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	17213  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote