Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #121

In 30 years of camping I have never had a item stolen at a campsite. I do leave everything outside my tent or camper as well. Even still use tent with kids from time to time I bought in cub scouts for fun.
Rolltide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #122

We have been camping about twenty yrs and we never had anything taken as I can recall.I leave my keys in the truck while camping but if my wife think about it she takes them out
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #123
akstarret

Ever had camping gear stolen

Years ago we had a cooler stolen which was full of beer. We took the attitude that they were thirstier than us...haha. Since then never a problem. We still always leave everything out and quite often the trailer unlocked when we leave.
16K Superglide
starret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #124
jdadoug

Ever had camping gear stolen

We never had anything stolen yet, left some chocks at the camp ground once, asked the camp host if anyone had turned them in? Yeah he had picked them up and put them in his shed out back. Seems he had a whole shed of stuff that people had left behind over the years........... Now I have my name on the chocks.
We have a 120 lb. dog that sleeps under the camper and is supposed to keep our stuff safe
Didnt help much when the pack rat chewed through the insulation under the camper one dark night. Dog slept through it all night. Didnt bark once!
We try and put most of the stuff away each night, but leave the chairs and tables and other fire related stuff on the ground.
We are good friends with the camp host, hope that will make a difference some day.......... jdadoug
Old 02-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #125

In all the years we have been camping, the first theft we experienced was last year. A cooler was taken. Not much in it, a whole chicken we had planned for dinner and a bottle of wine. Hope they enjoyed the wine.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #126

Once! Had hershey bars taken from our cooler which was stored behind our popup in the rear of a wooded site. Cooler was not visible to those walking or biking by. We went for a short walk with friends we were camping with and discovered the theft when we returned. There were no smores that weekend. We later found the wrappers in a just emptied dumpster inside the campground.

They walked into our site...looked around...found the cooler...looked inside and grabbed the chocoloate sitting on top...then ate the chocolate before heading back to their own site. I gave the evil eye to every kid who biked by our site that entire weekend and once yelled out to one who looked awfully suspicious! I was pretty upset about it at the time but havent thought about it much until this post.

For those who camp in Whitewater State Park in MN...beware...as the perps are still free and on the loose! Look for chocolate smudges on the corner of their mouths.

https://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #127

Never had anything taken. We stay in camp grounds around west and central Texas. Items I leave outside are: grill/table, folding chairs, patio mat, satilite dish and TV.(mounts to side of trailer, but is removable). When we are at the lake, life jackets, boat shoes, and towels. The funny thing is the better half always locks te trailer. I keep telling her that there is more outside than in the trailer.
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #128

Yes, in 2000 when I had my camper in for warrenty work at the dealers, some one rip of my spare tire and tire rack, now the tire and rack where part of the deal when I bought the camper....But I am not it was taken back However when I question them about it they said "nothing has ever happen like that on there lot", so I said ok now I need one and they said ok we will sell you the tire and rack at our cost

But I will say I have not had anything taken from a camp site and we have been camping since 2000.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #129

The dealer are always having items stolen from trailers. That is why you very seldom see the spare tires on the trailers for sale. They also do not install the tv and towel bars for the same reason. People till go into the trailer to look around see and item they need for their trailer and take it. Most use the excuse that it was missing in the trailer that they purchased and the dealer should give them one.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #130

I guess it happens but I never had anything stolen. Camping people are normally different, the friendliest and greatest caring people in the world. If someone takes from me I guess they need it more than I do.
XL 378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #131
Always Learning

Never anything stolen. Though, I do lock up our bicycles. Mine is spendy and the wife's was a nightmare to find what she wanted.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #132

We've camped for 30 years and the only incident we had was when some racoons got into our cooler and "stole" about $30 worth of groceries. Nothing has ever come up missing. It's been our experience that campers are the friendliest bunch you'll ever meet and most would gladly lend you something if you needed it.
Pitstop88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #133

Never anything stolen accept from them four-legged bandits.

We go to a huge rock concert every year here in Northern Minnesota (Moon Dance Jam). Lot's of partying but everyone is cool. In the morning, most people go to the concert area and find a spot for their chair's and flag pole's and leave them all day. They are there when we return about 7pm for the big bands. Only thing I've ever seen locked down were the gennies.
Gregg Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #134
Camper Less Camping

Nope and never suspected it would happen in all the places we have camped...but if it did happen...I'd be one RAGIN CAJUN!

Old 02-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #135

Never have had the problem of campers stealing from campers hate to say its a different world out there but campers are normally a different breed of people easy going and trusting
Fivenikkels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivenikkels
Never have had the problem of campers stealing from campers hate to say its a different world out there but campers are normally a different breed of people easy going and trusting
And never seem to hesitate to help one another out.....even if they have never met....
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivenikkels View Post
I would agree, I am however thankful that most CGs have designated quiet hours. But quiet time could b a whole other thread.
Sportracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #138

never anything. started in '92.
i do have concerns abt leaving the auto sat dish out.
campers seem to respect others property. i have more concerns when the campground in a publicly accessible area. what comes to mine is a marina that has camping spots and lots of general traffic. campgrounds may be publicly accessible but are generally set aside.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote