Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #41

Never had anything taken, been camping for 10+ years, sometimes we don't even lock the trailer.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #42

I had 2 crab bushel baskets taken but they left the good stuff
i forgive them and do hope they they fill them with crabs !
SALTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALTY View Post
I had 2 crab bushel baskets taken but they left the good stuff
i forgive them and do hope they they fill them with crabs !
I would also hope that thieves got crabs.....in an unmentionable spot!

cheers,
johnd
Medical research shows that men have a "biological clock" too. The older we get, the greater the NEED to drive a TRUCK!
dnaraG_1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #44

Have been fortunate and nothing stolen from campsite. However some campgrounds I have had my the cash removed from my wallet at check in (some a lot more than others).
Ft W crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #45

Teenagers getting a bad rap again.

I guess if your worried about things getting stolen, try to secure them out of site.
Surge protection? Try the lock box for it or go hardwired.

I was more worried about idiots taking the copper from the 50 foot of power cable I have than my chairs.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #46
Threegeeks

We just got our first camper and worried about the same thing. We also understand that there are bad people every where and they would take advantage of certain "Opportunity". So we went cheap with everything that we would left outside, chairs, table...etc. and know that we may have to replace some items.
U.S. Army Veterans
threegeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #47
Mod free 5er

Had a 6 pack of Pepsi taken at the Marion County City Park in Knoxville, IA about 30 yrs ago while we were attending the Knoxville Nationals Sprintcar races. Later that day, here came 2 BIG dudes and 2 small boys and I'm thinking maybe my 2 boys hade been up to no good. Turns out the BIG dudes were the fathers of the 2 boys and made them appologize for taking the Pepsi and offer to wash our camper (72 Chevy El Camino popup)to pay for it, which we declined. Became good friends after that. Don't know how they found out the boys had taken the Pepsi tho.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:59 PM   #48

I have a friend at work that had his trailer broken into from a roof vent and all they did was poop in his toilet. Kinda funny, but disgusting at the same time. When u gotta go u gotta go!
Jwithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:06 AM   #49

I have been camping on an off for over 50 + years, never had anything stolen or removed from the campsite. Camping people are just good people. We never leave any expensive items like I phones, etc. just laying out. Most of the stuff we have, eveyone else has the same stuff or maybe even better.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:17 AM   #50
Site Team - Lou

Knock On Wood.

Not so far.

In fact, once when we left camp to clear sunny skies and came back hours later to find all our stuff GONE. As we got closer I realized everything including the ground was damp or wet. Then I saw all our stuff carefully put away under the camper and some items wrapped in plastic.

The unexpected rainstorm would have blown our stuff all over and wet everything. My neighbor and his family, campers I had not met till then, put our stuff out of harm's way.

A few bottles of home made wine and heartfelt thanks found us some new camping friends.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:26 AM   #51

I have had firewood stolen several times, nothing else in 40+ years. Hope it stays that way. I do watch to see what kind of neighbors I have though. If they look good I figure they will look out for me. If they look bad I lock things up and hang around as much as posible.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:29 AM   #52
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Never lost anything during all of our years camping, but did return from a trip to find a couple kids riding my daughters' bikes around our site. They were around 8-10 years old. The look on their faces when we pulled in was priceless. I should add they were playing with our daughters during the week. They were staying 2 sites over from us.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #53

I have camped for my entire 30+ years of my life. NEVER have we had anything taken. Now that we're thinking of full timing and thinking of purchasing a portable dish that sits on the picnic table, I've been worrying that it might get taken. I might just have to chain it to the table?

Jay & Jill
Kyla (6yr old grandaughter)
Sam (13yr old Lab) Khloe (5yr old Shorkie)
2012 Crusader 325RES
2009 F350
JayandJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #54

We had a few unused bundles of fresh firewood stolen from our site in Oregon last year while we were out for a drive. Pretty sure it was teenagers from the tent area, but it might have been the campground that took it back thinking we had left. (We were in a rented trailer). I was sooo , I drove all over the campground trying to recognize our firewood (what an idiot - like that was possible.....). I vowed next time I would spray it with red paint!

For all the teenage RVers here, you are being watched everwhere you camp!!

It's comforting to hear of such few problems out there. From now on we will be camping mostly in resort campgrounds and their affiliates like Coast to Coast and RPI. Should keep most of the trouble makers out.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #55
IT Guru

Send a message via AIM to jsilvius Send a message via Skype™ to jsilvius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ft W crew View Post
Have been fortunate and nothing stolen from campsite. However some campgrounds I have had my the cash removed from my wallet at check in (some a lot more than others).

That and the gas station trying to get to said campgrounds...

2006 Flagstaff 831FKSS
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Turbo Diesel Quad Cab
1 - DH (me); 1 - DW (Tee); 1 - DS (Jarod, 12)
Nights Camping: 2010 - 15; 2011 - 7; 2012 - 9
jsilvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #56
IT Guru

Send a message via AIM to jsilvius Send a message via Skype™ to jsilvius
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Knock On Wood.

Not so far.

In fact, once when we left camp to clear sunny skies and came back hours later to find all our stuff GONE. As we got closer I realized everything including the ground was damp or wet. Then I saw all our stuff carefully put away under the camper and some items wrapped in plastic.

The unexpected rainstorm would have blown our stuff all over and wet everything. My neighbor and his family, campers I had not met till then, put our stuff out of harm's way.

A few bottles of home made wine and heartfelt thanks found us some new camping friends.
Been there, done that. We were camping in Ft. Mill, SC KOA a couple of years ago and the family at the site next to use left all their stuff out. When a huge wind storm popped up, we put in our stuff and went over to their camper and put all their stuff under their camper and put their awing up for them.

You can imagine how thankful they were when they got back form the NASCAR experience @ Charlotte to find no damage. They had expected to have lost everything and needing to replace their awing.

"Most" camping folks have a different set of values then the rest of the world. We still believe in helping our fellow man, and that we are all inherently good.

2006 Flagstaff 831FKSS
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Turbo Diesel Quad Cab
1 - DH (me); 1 - DW (Tee); 1 - DS (Jarod, 12)
Nights Camping: 2010 - 15; 2011 - 7; 2012 - 9
jsilvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #57
Another rat in the race

16+ yrs nothing taken from the campsite but had stuff stolen from storage propane tanks, batteries, and spare tires. Not enough to make me change my lifestyle just enough to lighten my wallet.

As far as campsite goes I leave everything out I will lock my car doors when I'm gone and wrap a chain though my honda geni but that's its between bikes and other camp stuff maybe $2K of stuff out and stealable with out much effort but I trust campers.

My Ice chest has been gone through before but since I keep my Rum in the freezer the thieves didn't seem very happy with diet cokes and juice boxes but I think that might have been the camp neighbors who made a beer run later

When we used a pop up we went away for 3 days from our campsite to backpack and forgot to put our chairs and tables way at camp a neighbor broke into our trailer and put our stuff away for us because of rain.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #58
Site Team

One of my regular campgrounds posted a sign warning about theft. I never had any problems with my stuff but I do put it away at night. Much easier for me since I don't bring much.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Booth sign IMG01494-20120329-1426.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	16455

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #59

I'm in NC and knocking on wood have not had an issue with theft either! I leave the boy's bikes and my chairs outside at night and when we are gone during the day! It is another thing I love about camping is feeling safe! I hope the camping community continues to be a safe environment!
2 Teenaged Boys
A Bulldog & A Daschund
PrettyinPink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #60

Never. first started in 1954
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote