Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #61

We've never had a problem at a camp ground but recently our trailer was stolen from our home. Only advice I can say after talking to others lock your battery, propane tank and spare tire. Also a tounge lock. Basically if they can easily remove it they will.
Jamisonhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ft W crew
Have been fortunate and nothing stolen from campsite. However some campgrounds I have had my the cash removed from my wallet at check in (some a lot more than others).
Been there!

Been camping almost 60 yrs...raccoons have been my only encounter with thefts...LOL...in horrible wind storms and rain storms we have broken into a few trailers to help put items away or zip up pop ups to protect them...hopefully those owners weren't angry but appreciative. Someone rolled up our awning while we were away and we were ever so thankful!
2lvrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #63
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I will say this!
I've currently just started padlocking my cord into the park panel with all the local copper thefts.
We normally park our camper on site on Thursdays and go to work the next day from cg. And a 30 amp 25 foot cord is awful enticing when it takes longer to get out of vehicle than it does to take my cord.

I just use the padlock from my fifth wheel hitch lock.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALTY
I had 2 crab bushel baskets taken but they left the good stuff
i forgive them and do hope they they fill them with crabs !
This is nothing to do with this subject. But I wanted to know what you use the crab bushels baskets for? I was just in Sc and they told me when I caught blue crabs to put them in a cooler of ice to keep them alive 'til I was ready to clean and cook them. They said also leaving them in a bucket of ocean water they would die because of lack of oxygen and they would eventually start hurting each other being all together. Any advice for my next trip back to SC?
Old 07-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I will say this!
I've currently just started padlocking my cord into the park panel with all the local copper thefts.
We normally park our camper on site on Thursdays and go to work the next day from cg. And a 30 amp 25 foot cord is awful enticing when it takes longer to get out of vehicle than it does to take my cord.

I just use the padlock from my fifth wheel hitch lock.
exactly how are you locking that up?? any ideas on how to lock the cord to the trailer as well...??

I dont know the going rate at the scrap yard for copper, but im just sure there is a lot of it in my 50ft 50amp cord!!..I know EXACTLY what a new one costs though!! LOL
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #66
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Almost all of the power poles here in the midwest Dnr (county) cg's and state cg's have a lid that flips up and down to plug in your power cord.
And when the lid is shut there's a tab that sticks out to be able to padlock the lid shut there for cable cannot be removed.
Sure they can cut it but I wouldn't want to be the one with the saw or cutters! Lol

No idea how to lock it to camper BUT I bet someone makes a lockable cover for that twist lock plug.

Looking in grainger catalog now.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #67

Never had anything stolen yet! Had some nice neighbors roll my awning in one time when a storm came up while we were gone for the day. I leave all my toys outside and also leave the door unlocked so people can come in and get anything they may need.

I JUST LOVE YOU GUYS!!!

==================================================
Now, only one of the above sentences is false!

Locks are for honest people and unfortunately(please take no offence) they are a dying breed.

I lock the tounge latch, the hitch coupler(at the end of the tounge), weight distribution bars to the frame, chairs together with bicycle chain, changed the locks on my outside storage doors, lock my surge protector to the post with bike chain, and of course the entry door.

I don't have much but what I got is mine and I'd like to keep it that way. If they want it worse than I do, they'll have to work for it!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #68

We have lost Coolers, Candles, and wind decorations, etc... at a out door music fest. (I'm sure lots of booze was involved) last year, This year nothing touched, but we had several people comment on our Patio Mat (big horse design) so that got put away the last night, before going into the concert., I did just buy a new Surge protector, the Portable kind, and worried about that, but I also got a extension cord, and thought I would just hide that part under the camper so it was "Out of Sight" I Never leave the campsite without locking all doors, windows, and store awning, but I will just fold up chairs and lay them under the edge of the camper, and the little grill stay's out, cuz I want a new one.

2018 Forester 3011DS
2011 Rockwood 8285WS (The Mobile Cabin) traded
2004 F350 SuperCab 6.0TD DRW (Mr. Duals) sold
kijak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #69
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijak View Post
We have lost Coolers, Candles, and wind decorations, etc... at a out door music fest. (I'm sure lots of booze was involved) last year, This year nothing touched, but we had several people comment on our Patio Mat (big horse design) so that got put away the last night, before going into the concert., I did just buy a new Surge protector, the Portable kind, and worried about that, but I also got a extension cord, and thought I would just hide that part under the camper so it was "Out of Sight" I Never leave the campsite without locking all doors, windows, and store awning, but I will just fold up chairs and lay them under the edge of the camper, and the little grill stay's out, cuz I want a new one.
Sounds like you need to change where you camp, you've lost more in one night than most people do in a lifetime.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijak View Post
And with that said, you are now doomed to eternal existence with that little grill........as with my last truck who was on deaths edge.....i told my wife i was going to drive it till it broke or got stolen or wrecked......after 5 years the dang thing wouldent die (THINK ZERO MAINTENANCE)..........FINALLY she got tired of me parking the ugly thing at the house and told me to get a new truck.....to which i agreed and went out and promptly bought a shiney new diesel ......hey, she told me to get a new truck.....she didnt say i had a range to spend in!.....but thats for a whole different thread.....lol
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Had a 6 pack of Pepsi taken at the Marion County City Park in Knoxville, IA about 30 yrs ago while we were attending the Knoxville Nationals Sprintcar races. Later that day, here came 2 BIG dudes and 2 small boys and I'm thinking maybe my 2 boys hade been up to no good. Turns out the BIG dudes were the fathers of the 2 boys and made them appologize for taking the Pepsi and offer to wash our camper (72 Chevy El Camino popup)to pay for it, which we declined. Became good friends after that. Don't know how they found out the boys had taken the Pepsi tho.
Wish more parents were like that these days.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #72
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyJunk View Post
Wish more parents were like that these days.
I do too, now the parents would come over and blame us for leaving them out and tempting their innocent little fellows. Strange world we live in now. No one wants to take the blame for their own actions. It's always somebody else's fault.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #73

I usually take my camper to the race track several days early and leave it. I hook up the power with a standard drop cord with a twist on adapter so I can keep my fridge cold. I'm always worried about someone running off with my 50 amp cord. Hasn't happened yet but I could see it.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #74
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I usually take my camper to the race track several days early and leave it. I hook up the power with a standard drop cord with a twist on adapter so I can keep my fridge cold. I'm always worried about someone running off with my 50 amp cord. Hasn't happened yet but I could see it.
Put it on propane and keep the cord in the trailer. Problem solved.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #75

Quote:
Put it on propane and keep the cord in the trailer. Problem solved.
My current camper has a residential fridge. Either runs on batteries (Which would only last a few days) or shore power. New rig will be propane.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
One of my regular campgrounds posted a sign warning about theft. I never had any problems with my stuff but I do put it away at night. Much easier for me since I don't bring much.

Attachment 16455
Sound like an inside job.

I was at a truck stop last year where the driver of a Day and Ross truck lost his hood while he was sleeping.

Up the road a Midland truck apparently lost his hood at about the same time.

The Day and Ross driver called his dispatch and they called a junk yard to see if a hood was available. A few hours later the driver was back on the road.

Interestingly enough the Midland driver and the Day and Ross driver were side by each on a hill and noticed that they had each others hood on their trucks .
Old 07-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #77

Quote:
Never had a problem with track campers. Their usually at the track or too drunk to carry off someone elses stuff.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #78

Quote:
I do too, now the parents would come over and blame us for leaving them out and tempting their innocent little fellows. Strange world we live in now. No one wants to take the blame for their own actions. It's always somebody else's fault.
I love these types of parents. It's so nice to give them a fine when their young kids tell me to Blank off as a Police officer for stopping them when they are not wearing a helmet or are caught smoking pot.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #79

Yea, We really have a great time with Friends there, though. So now we know. and take the precautions.. There are Thousands of campers there, so it's really FUN!!

2018 Forester 3011DS
2011 Rockwood 8285WS (The Mobile Cabin) traded
2004 F350 SuperCab 6.0TD DRW (Mr. Duals) sold
kijak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #80
Another rat in the race

Quote:
You know its a funny thing. We were in Parker AZ (Colorado River town in the summer snow bird in the winter) this last week and my wife sons and I were playing around at the breakfast table in this cafe and my son (the 15yr old) shot a straw wrapper at us and missed. It went sailing past and hit a group behind us. They took it in stride, I was mortified, and my son was a little embarrassed. I told him to go over and apologize for disturbing their breakfast, with just a little procrastination he knew he had to do the right thing and went over and said sorry for hitting them with the straw wrapper.

I could not believe what happened next, The gentleman got up and thanked me for raising a fine young man, the waitress said in 12 years of working there she had never witnessed a parent making their kid do anything like that, and when we left a bunch of regulars (they looked like it at least) raised there glass to my son and said "you make us old folks proud son".

Needless to say I was flabbergasted what kind of society do we live in that we feel the need to praise a 15yr old for owning up to his mistakes.

Don't get me wrong I AM PROUD of my sons, but a restaurant of praise for 1 apology. It should be the norm not the oddity.