Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2015, 02:31 PM   #1

Extended service contract

What are your thoughts on wholesale warranty opposed to Good Sam
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppytoymaker View Post
I bought a 2015 Silverback 33IK two weeks ago. There was a 7 year NWAN Extended Warranty added without telling us much about it. When I saw the $7600 added to the loan I almost backed out of the deal. I tried to get some information about the coverage of this warranty. The only thing they would say "Its a great plan and covers bumper to bumper" with $200 deductible. Nothing in writing at that time. I did some checking with Good Sam, their plan looks like it covers all the main items that the NWAN had and it is less than half the cost. About $1375 for three year service plan W/$200 deductible. Lets see $458 per year or $1085 per year. The Good Sam also covers tires. I called the dealer, about the difference in these cost, and cancelation form to me is in the mail.
Gene85222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:59 PM   #3

Gene, I think I would have backed out of the deal. Not saying the dealer is dishonest, just a little underhanded. What else are you about to find out about the deal. He got caught with his hand in the pie and now wants you to think he is a nice guy. "The check is in the mail".
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:09 PM   #4

If you wouldn't mind, post the dealer information for the benefit of others.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
Gene, I think I would have backed out of the deal. Not saying the dealer is dishonest, just a little underhanded. What else are you about to find out about the deal. He got caught with his hand in the pie and now wants you to think he is a nice guy. "The check is in the mail".
The dealer for the Silverback FW is a large dealer in Houston, they have been around for a long time. After talking to the finance officer that handled all the paper work, I think he is being honest with me. After I told him what I found out about Good Sam service plan he was the one that said he would send me a cancelation form to cancel the NWAN plan. I am only waiting to make damn sure that it is canceled before I send in the extended service plan to Good Sam. I have Good Sam's form here on my desk ready to go. I can complete the application online so that is what I'll do.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppytoymaker View Post
WW for my rig is cheaper and less deductible for what I think is the same coverage. Dollars saved!
West Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Cactus View Post
WW for my rig is cheaper and less deductible for what I think is the same coverage. Dollars saved!
I'll check into WW...... Thanks .. I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:20 PM   #8

Wholesale Warranties Extended Service Plan

I talked to WW Extended Service about coverage on my Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK FW. It looks like they have about the best deal for an extended service plan. The plan I started with from the dealer was with NWAN. Their plan was for seven years and cost $7577.00 w/$200 deductible. The WW plan for seven years which cover axels, springs, brakes, wiring, light fixtures and more. Cost $2884 w/$50 deductible. For tire & wheel coverage for seven years is $449 W/$0 deductible. The "what is not covered" list is short and are things like batteries and carpet. The Plasma/LCD/LED TV are only covered for 5 years. Normal life of a Plasma/LCD/LED TV is considered 5 Years in an RV.
The Good Sam extended service plan was only a three year plan w/$200 deductible. At the end of three years the price of the plans would probably go up.

I hope this helps
Old 03-10-2015, 10:50 AM   #9

The cost will go up in two years but by how much?
I have been told that a 7 year plan is only 5 years because you will get the one year warranty and can buy the second year warranty from Forest River for $150. When my last fiver was two years old I priced an extended warranty/service contract thru Good Sam and two others and ended up not getting one because I couldn't find one that covers delamination of frames. I am told that none of then will cover those two items? For the price that they wanted, I could buy the parts and fix it myself. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:28 PM   #10
Summer2Go

For those of us who can't fix very much ourselves, how is RVW's 4 yr extended at $1500.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsanderson View Post
For those of us who can't fix very much ourselves, how is RVW's 4 yr extended at $1500.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Give wholesale warranties a call and compare.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:18 PM   #12

Last July the seven yr Good Sam plan with $100 deductible was less the $2000. After a few weeks,they dropped it to$1775. It covers bumper to bumper.
syogerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by syogerst View Post
Last July the seven yr Good Sam plan with $100 deductible was less the $2000. After a few weeks,they dropped it to$1775. It covers bumper to bumper.
Which RV do,you have that they gave you that price?
Old 03-13-2015, 02:41 PM   #14

ESP

They gave me a great price to for 4yrs $1800 including tires. My motorhome was brand new so what were they giving me? Then thgey sent me an estimate for 7 yrs and that was $5700. WW's was $2000 cheaper with a $100 deductible and tire coverage.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:52 AM   #15

Exclusionary Service Contract

We're considering an extended warranty and have had coverage on previous RVs that never paid for repairs so I asked for what I thought might be a simple contract that said what it did not cover and everything else would be covered. Both the Wholesale and EX Care exclusionary contracts are far from simple and they both say that they don't cover items that are not listed as covered, a bit of double speak.

I think I'll do without. If its there purpose to have me pay them for services that they are doing their best to avoid having to provide I don't need them.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:09 AM   #16

Up-Date on Extended Warranty Cancelation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene85222 View Post
The dealer for the Silverback FW is a large dealer in Houston, they have been around for a long time. After talking to the finance officer that handled all the paper work, I think he is being honest with me. After I told him what I found out about Good Sam service plan he was the one that said he would send me a cancelation form to cancel the NWAN plan. I am only waiting to make damn sure that it is canceled before I send in the extended service plan to Good Sam. I have Good Sam's form here on my desk ready to go. I can complete the application online so that is what I'll do.
I just got off of the phone with Tony Lopes at DeMontrond RV in Houston
about canceling the NWAN Extended Warranty that he added to my loan for the Silverback 33IK that I bought back in February, without asking if I wanted to have it. He had never acknowledged that he had received the 'Cancelation' form that I sent. Now he is telling me that it takes 6 to 8 weeks for the cancelation to take effect and the money sent to the bank that made the loan. The moral to this story is: Be damn careful with these loan officers when you sign the papers. Sometimes I thank they do not have your best interest at heart.
The thing that did not set to well me is he was very short with me on the phone. I don't think he got his commission for the Extended Warranty.
Like StoneyG said I may go without the EW...........................
Old 04-14-2015, 12:06 PM   #17

If you're smart, never buy an extended warranty at point of sale. The dealership makes money off the warranty sale, so they push it hard. Don't be intimidated by the finance officer saying it's the best price now and it will go up if you wait. You have a one year factory warranty already in place ... wait till towards the end of that year before you shop for an extended warranty ... you'll find the price will be near the same despite what the finance officer tried to blow at you. With some policies, the extended warranty starts while your factory warranty is in effect ... you basically loose a year off say a five year plan.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:24 PM   #18

The funny thing about this is I normally do not buy Extended Warranty policy's at all, but this time I bought into "With the cost of repairs", "peace of mind" "Bumper to Bumper coverage" and on & on. I gave in to the sales BS!
And like someone said I may never need the warranty. After all in Las Vegas insurance is called gambling. You are betting that you will need the extended coverage and they are betting that you never use it. Money in who's pocket?????
Old 04-14-2015, 12:30 PM   #19

Me too, but after a little research I thought wholesale warranties was the best deal, how they will pay if needed in the future remains to be seen, but life's a gamble is it not?
Old 04-14-2015, 01:05 PM   #20
Tinkerer and Putterer

We looked long and hard at a warranty for our Forester and opted out. The dealer was trying to sell us a bumper to bumper warranty but when I called the warranty company I found that they only covered non-structural items and would not cover any damage caused by water intrusion. Seal failures, cracked skylights, damage from nature, or any structural failure will be referred to your insurance for coverage was the response I received. I have asked this same question of other companies that offer service contracts and I have heard a similar story. It's bumper to bumper except... coverage. This company may be different but I would certainly ask first.

I also asked how the company handled issues that had to be handled by an out of network shop that is unwilling to accept payment directly from the company due to unforeseen issues. The standard statements were either tow the rig to another shop or pay and get reimbursed. Both might be considered acceptable options depending on the situation but most people aren't willing to deal with this hassle.

Next question, what happens when I pay more for a repair than you are willing to cover? I would expect that you'll be told you're out of luck or that doesn't happen to be the response. It happens...

Next question, do you have a cost sheet that can be released to customers for the acceptable cost for various repairs and labor rates. I have never gotten a list when I asked this question which is somewhat expected since the accepted rates likely fluctuate but if a company tells me I have to pay then I want to know if I'm going to get stuck with a bill that exceeds my deductable.

Next question. What happens when the combined towing distance exceeds the distance covered by the policy, assuming that in this worst case scenario the rig was towed in. Don't be surprised if a service contract company asks you to bill your insurance. AAA and some insurance companies will cover the initial tow but I doubt any will cover a secondary tow requested because a service contract was not accepted by the first dealership. Can you see how that could put you in a tight spot?

In general, when considering a policy I would call the company behind the policy and ask directed questions as to what is covered. They are the ones that have to stand behind the policy and if they don't know an answer I would hold their feet to the fire for an answer in writing before spending any money. Many folks use these policies and many have had good experiences. Asking questions and getting a full picture from the companys responses will allow you to set your expectations so that if something does happen you aren't caught in a bad spot or angered by an unexpected charge.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service