Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #1

Extended Warranty Advicw

Ok, RVW brought in the closer to sell the Extended Warranty. What do YOU THINK? It is 1500ish and covers 5 years, if you don't use it, they supposedly give you your money back. IS IT WORTH IT??????????

Are there so many problems that we are crazy not to get it? He mentioned the slide out seal specifically.
New2ROO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:44 PM   #2

Warranty

I just asked for a refund from my 2007 Motorhome that I traded in. also had the five year warranty. Fiirst thing to remember is that the warranty only begins after the original coach and/or chassis warranty run out. This is usuallly one year on the coach and three on the chassis. (If you are talking a motorhome). The warranty may cover all the inside items like the fridge; furnace water pump etc.(These also have a mfg warranty). Thus you can usually purchase a mfg extended warranty on these items separately. Another considration is that you have to get advance approval on repairs before they are done or your warranty won't cover the repair. Some warranty companies are good some aren't; it's a roll of the dice. As far as getting your money back; the contract is prorated. I lost 19 percent for one year that I had the motorhome. Since it was still under the regular warranty this cost the warranty company nothing. They also charged me $50 to cancel the warranty. It's been 6 weeks and I'm still waiting on my refund. They never are in a hurry when they owe you money. One more thing, if you finance the coach; and still owe the bank money; then the bank gets the refund. not you.
I have a 2008 Georgetown and I didn't buy the warranty. Hope this helps.
Crossfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:09 PM   #3

we had it on our first coach, then it got taken by a tornado some 4 years later, with 3 left on the extended plan.
we got back some, but it went to pay off the bank.
we made money in the end because either i made one heck of a deal when i bought it or the fiver actually gained value ????

this being our 3rd coach we choose not to go with it.
i am handy and since the fridge is the most costly item, and most dont get repaired i figure to just bite the bullet if it goes out and buy a new one

our warrnty for 7 years would have cost nearly 3k so i see it as a 1500 savings so to speak
Old 03-11-2008, 06:42 PM   #4

We purchased a similar warranty from Heritage Platimum RV.

I probably will never find out if they give refunds on unused policys since we are trading to a new XLR and we filed a claim last September.

We and the dealer got the all important preapprovals and the authorization number. The repairs were made in October. I have already paid the dealer for the work and I am still waiting for the payment from Heritage.

I have spoken to Heritage each month and can get no satisfactory answers other than it has been approved for payment and checks are processed in batches, biiiig batches.

I filed a complaint with the local state attorney genreal, Nevada I think, who forwarded the complaint to the local, Nevada, insurance department who forwarded it to the insurance department here in New York because the complaint needs to filed in the state that the policy was sold in. I am now wiating for NY to reply. I turned blue and passed out several weeks ago from holding my breath.

The moral from my perspective is don't buy in the first place unless it is from the original manufacturer as in/may be with new cars.

Good luck
out4stlhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:14 PM   #5

IMHO, why not self insure? Put $20/month away in a savings/mutual fund account until you need to use for repairs. If none needed , you can take the moola out without penalty, plus interest made, and celebrate with it. You won't have to wait an eternity for insur. co. to issue a refund, either.
granite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:17 AM   #6

I purchased my unit in July 2007 and declined at the dealership for the third party extended warranty. I think the third party warranty was $1000 - $2000 and extended the warranty from up to 3 to 7 years. The dealer gave me a big envelope full of all of the installed manufacturer items and a lot of the manufacturers offered their own extended warranties.

I opted for these extra coverages as it was overall less expensive.

Forest River itself had an additional 12 month warranty $150.00 U.S.
which covered Suspension System & Axles, Frame, Floor, Refrigerator, Power Converter, Range, Interior Cabinet Frame Face & Sides, Windows, Water Heater, Water Pump, TV Antenna, Furnace, Awning, Microwave, Steps, LP Tanks, Tires, Exterior Entrance Door, Jacks, Roof Membrane, Slide Out Mechanism, Toilet, Air Conditioner, Furniture, Valances, Mattress, Stereo & Speakers. Listed above is all covered for 2-years from my date of purchase with exception to what is listed below.

Dometic offered 3+3 warranty on the Air Conditioner providing an extra 3 years on top of its original warranty for $130.00 to which my coverage now expires in 2013.

Suburban offered an extended warranty on its furnace to which I can not remember the cost but it was super cheap (I think $50.00 or so) and it extended the warranty until 2014.

I went through all the manufacturer documents that came with the unit and made a database in my computer listing all products and their warranty expiry dates. I also made copies of the payments that I sent in for any additional coverages.

2013 Camping Days: 22
2012 89 2011 50 2010 61
OregonCamper's Pics click here
OregonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonCamper View Post
I purchased my unit in July 2007 and declined at the dealership for the third party extended warranty. I think the third party warranty was $1000 - $2000 and extended the warranty from up to 3 to 7 years. The dealer gave me a big envelope full of all of the installed manufacturer items and a lot of the manufacturers offered their own extended warranties.

I opted for these extra coverages as it was overall less expensive.

Forest River itself had an additional 12 month warranty $150.00 U.S.
which covered Suspension System & Axles, Frame, Floor, Refrigerator, Power Converter, Range, Interior Cabinet Frame Face & Sides, Windows, Water Heater, Water Pump, TV Antenna, Furnace, Awning, Microwave, Steps, LP Tanks, Tires, Exterior Entrance Door, Jacks, Roof Membrane, Slide Out Mechanism, Toilet, Air Conditioner, Furniture, Valances, Mattress, Stereo & Speakers. Listed above is all covered for 2-years from my date of purchase with exception to what is listed below.

Dometic offered 3+3 warranty on the Air Conditioner providing an extra 3 years on top of its original warranty for $130.00 to which my coverage now expires in 2013.

Suburban offered an extended warranty on its furnace to which I can not remember the cost but it was super cheap (I think $50.00 or so) and it extended the warranty until 2014.

I went through all the manufacturer documents that came with the unit and made a database in my computer listing all products and their warranty expiry dates. I also made copies of the payments that I sent in for any additional coverages.

Now THAT'S a GREAT idea!
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
I've never bought an extendend warranty for an RV. Never needed it either.
The choice is yours, however.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:19 PM   #9

Ok, brilliant. I will do that (warranty the fridge and other spendy items to replace). The items I am warned about the most are bubbles in the side and "de-laminating." ANYONE HAVE THAT PROBLEM? I guess the side walls pull apart from a small bubble in the laminate and then the whole wall comes apart. Also the fridge and fluid systems. ARE WE SUPPOSED to CHECK all FLUID systems before we take control?!!

Should this be another thread? (Forum Virgin here!)
New2ROO is offline   Reply With Quote