Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2015, 07:16 PM   #1

Extended warranty from Dealer- buyer's remorse

Hello,

My wife and I are newbies to the travel trailer world and just bought our first new Wildwood travel trailer on 6/30/15.

We purchased an extended warranty by Cornerstone United that was offered through the RV dealership. We realized after doing more research after the travel trailer purchase that we would be better off with extended warranty coverage through Good Sam and not Cornerstone United.
No where on our service contract paperwork from the RV Dealer does it state a cancellation policy or 'probation' period if you cancel within the initial 30 or 60 days on the extended warranty.
We are waiting to get a phone call back from the dealership now how to go about this, and wanted to know if anyone else has gone through this type of buyer's remorse?

Dan
SFWildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:49 PM   #2

The dealer should have told you about a 2nd year extended warranty from Forest River, which would cost $150. You can still get it from FR, and there should be an application in the packet of information that came with the RV. If not do a search for "Forest River 2nd year warranty form" and download it. I hope you can get a refund from the dealer, and then wait until the 3rd year to get extended warranty. Most of the appliances in the RV have at least a 2 year warranty from the vendor.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:22 PM   #3

If I knew about the 2nd year warranty it would have saved me from the cornerstone headaches. If you end up having to keep the cornerstone warranty make sure the dealership has all the defective parts inspected by cornerstone so they will pay
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:20 AM   #4

When I bought my first Forest River product in 2011 and the dealer did not mention the second year warranty for $150, I called Forest River and they told me that the dealers are not required to tell you about it! How are we to know about it? The dealers don't want you to know about it so that they can sell you an extended warranty were the make a commission of 30 to 50 percent of the cost! If you need an extended warranty please make sure what they cover. They don't cover delamination or frames and the appliances are covered for mostly two years by their manufacturers. The $150 Forest River second year warranty covers the same as the first year. It is something that you should buy. Good Luck
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:41 AM   #5
Site Team

The dealer already got his commission for roping you into the extended warranty policy ( probably 25%-50%) . It is unlikely you can cancel. Third party warranties are generally just a way to improve dealer profit and do not benefit purchaser.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFWildwood View Post
Hello,

My wife and I are newbies to the travel trailer world and just bought our first new Wildwood travel trailer on 6/30/15.

We purchased an extended warranty by Cornerstone United that was offered through the RV dealership. We realized after doing more research after the travel trailer purchase that we would be better off with extended warranty coverage through Good Sam and not Cornerstone United.
No where on our service contract paperwork from the RV Dealer does it state a cancellation policy or 'probation' period if you cancel within the initial 30 or 60 days on the extended warranty.
We are waiting to get a phone call back from the dealership now how to go about this, and wanted to know if anyone else has gone through this type of buyer's remorse?

Dan
Your Cornerstone contract is cancellable through your dealer who sold it to you. They will send the balance to the dealer by check. I have Cornerstone and it states that in the cancellation section. You can cancel at anytime...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:25 PM   #7

You can cancel your warranty thru you dealer. The dealer will lose any profit made by selling the warranty. I also have the Cornerstone extended warranty. Read all the fine print before you cancel and switch companies. Compare coverage and research customer reviews. I'm a firm believer in extended warranties. I work at an automotive dealership. I see the warranty pay for itself. Ever wonder why manufacturers warranties are for 1-3 years? Data shows what will break and when.
Damule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:13 PM   #8

I self insured. Put the money in a special bank account that I would of paid for a extended warranty adding a little every now and then. If something breaks use the money then. No warranty company to call, No worry about getting denied. Get it fixed Pay the bill and move on. Always read in any extended warranty what they don't cover. Most warranties are not written in your favor or the insurer would not be in business very long.
rwmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:54 PM   #9

When we bought our Rockwood, the dealer did tell us about the second year for $150. No brainer - bought it. As to other extended warranties, save your money. We had bought one for our previous Class A and told if we did not use it for the 5 years it was in force, we would get all our money back. Yeah sure. Warranty company went bankrupt and the dealer did not even answer our emails. Needless to say, we never bought from General RV again.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:11 PM   #10

had no problem canceling

I canceled my extended warranties with Protective Asset Protection.the company was very helpful in assisting me.Im having a bad time with my rv dealer so protective agents sent me forms and told my amount of refund there even post it to the day i called so refund could be process faster
mulltrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:13 AM   #11

When we bought our Rockwood, it was one year old. I found paperwork indicating the original owner had purchased an extended warranty but when I attempted to transfer it to my name I found that the dealer had never sent in the money. So be sure that they do If you buy the warranty. I never do.
spudston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, warranty