Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2016, 06:33 PM   #1

Extended warranty in California-Coachnet won't sell one, recommendations?

I read in another thread that Coach-net is who does the factory warranties for Forest River. The idea was to parlay off of the current 2 year factory warranty to an extended warrany with them, but they won't sell a policy in California. So my question is, what are my other options in California and who is the best?
Old 07-06-2016, 03:54 PM   #2

I would try Good Sam.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:09 PM   #3

Not a popular option, but self-insure. Put into a savings account the up-front and monthly costs of the insurance policy you want. Withdraw to cover claims that the policy would have covered. If you are honest in your transactions, in most cases you will have money in your savings account at the end of the policy period (the insurance company's profit).

Insurance used to be a way of spreading the risk of a catastrophic loss. Now it's used more like a pre-paid maintenance agreement. A pre-paid maintenance agreement can easily be self-funded. Insuring against truly catastrophic losses cannot be easily self-funded.
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:45 PM   #4

I contacted Good Sam. For $273 a year I can get their $200 deductible plan. With all the threads about tons of problems, seems like cheap piece of mind for now. I will track as suggested, the costs of repairs vs. $273 a year plus $200 a repair deductible. Would seem it's more about piece of mind, put one large repair bill would be worth it, but maybe that large repair doesn't happened to me, but rather the other guy who bought a plan!

Tags
california, warranty