Old 09-10-2017, 02:05 PM   #1

Extended warranty....or NOT

I just purchased a 2018 prime time tracer breeze 26dbs with the 5 yr extended warranty. I have a 30 day period in which i can "opt out" of this for a full refund ( it comes with a 12 month factory warranty)....my question is this...has anybody had experiences re. claims and is this even worth the additional $1800+ that it cost? It appears to cover most everything, however, i purchased an extended contract on a vehicle once and it was terrible

Bdlnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Read the fine print carefully. Many extended warranties require dealer performed maint ( additional expense) and have lots of loopholes to keep from paying. Most of the items in the unit are covered by a manufacturers warranty ( some longer than one year). Much of the time, you are better off putting the $1800 in the bank and using it to repair items with it. In addition, many of the covered failures happen in the first year which is covered by the OEM warraty.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:03 PM   #3
Site Team

Nearly all 3rd party extended warranties don't cover the expensive RV issues, like roof problems, delamination and frame/axle issues.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:27 PM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Save your money and set a side for any problems after original warranty expires. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10 gear
Days camped 2017 62
Days camped 2018 67
Days camped 2019 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:23 PM   #5

I brought a extended warranty from Camping World that isn't worth the paper it's written on from Tom Johnson in Marion NC.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdlnky View Post
I just purchased a 2018 prime time tracer breeze 26dbs with the 5 yr extended warranty. I have a 30 day period in which i can "opt out" of this for a full refund ( it comes with a 12 month factory warranty)....my question is this...has anybody had experiences re. claims and is this even worth the additional $1800+ that it cost? It appears to cover most everything, however, i purchased an extended contract on a vehicle once and it was terrible
I'd opt out. Extended warranties are the money makers for dealers, the only benefit you get is a piece of mind. They're a waste of money.
Since this post is w months old, I guess you're too late to opt out. You'll never use it, trust me. The sales team probably high fived each other after you left.
AZ Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:10 PM   #7
Site Team

I paid about the same as the op for my warranty.
The one only claim I had was the worst possible experience I think I ever had with a company, good grief! did I miss any??

4 months later and lots of headaches it did save me thousands on a new cooling unit install. So yes it paid for itself having it and then some. n/c for the aggravation .. Cant wait til next year to see how well it works.

R.I.P. Luke the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:55 PM   #8

The bad thing about RV extended warranties are that they are 3rd party.

Does Prime Time offer a factory direct extended service protection plan?

What about your bank or credit union.

Read then read again all of the coverage and exclusions in the contract.

Although not RV related, when we bout our wife's Honda Pilot new a few years ago, we bought the Honda Care 8yr/125,000 mile extended service contract w/ $0 deductible. they are honored at all Honda dealers.

The best part about it, is that it's from Honda and we bought it from a Honda dealer from another state. After some internet sleuthing, I had found 3-4 Honda dealers that specialize in internet volume pricing on Honda Care extended service contracts.

I am doing the same thing with my 2017 Silverado I just bought. Buying a GMEPP plan from out of state. They are honored at all GM dealers.

After about 6 quotes from various internet volume GMEPP dealers, Dennis Fichtner (dfichtner@dennymenholt.com) gave me the best quote, and is hooking me up with October pricing.

Although many times extended warranties do not pay off (especially 3rd party ones that like to go bankrupt or give horrible service), there are also many times that they pay off extremely well.

If my Nav/Infotainment system dies in the Silverado, it is covered. I can't just swap it out with a $200 Alpine CD player like I could in my 2000 Silverado. If one of the many computer systems dies, it is covered. Not like the ECM in my trusty 2000 Silverado I can swap for dirt cheap. We plan on keeping our Honda Pilot and Chevy Silverado after we pay them off. So I dont want to worry about repairs.

Plus, I buy them on a 0% credit card and pay them off between 6 months to a year and get the reward points.

Morale of my story is, can you shop around and buy the extended warranty from another dealer? If so, get your $ back and go with the better deal.

Are you for sure going to keep the trailer for 5 years?

If there is a possibility that you may trade up, can you transfer the warranty to a new buyer? My Honda Care and GMEPP plans can be transfered for between $50-75 respectively.
IslandVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:27 AM   #9
AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Nearly all 3rd party extended warranties don't cover the expensive RV issues, like roof problems, delamination and frame/axle issues.
True.

I have an exclusionary aftermarket warranty my wife insisted on (I didnt want one), cost me like $2600.
In less than 1 year my TH had a roof leak. Insurance wouldn't cover it, even though it was nearly brand new. And come to find out FR has 90-day on warranty, not 1 year. Luckily FR seems to 99.9% of the time jump in and do the right thing when still under warranty. I am good now.

If I could have avoided paying for that warranty from day-1, I would have. Happy wife happy... well, F it. you know.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:24 AM   #10

I wish I read this thread before I bought my camper two weeks ago. My wife and I decided to get the extended warrenty. I’ll have to read the contract to see if I can opt out. The problem is the dealer is over two hours away and it would be a hassle to get out there. I doubt they would let me opt out over the phone.
mpotapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:27 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG View Post
And come to find out FR has 90-day on warranty, not 1 year.
Where did you get this information from?😖
It's not true. Sounds like something a dealer told you.

FR has a 1 year factory tongue to bumper warranty.
The used to have an optional 2nd year factory warranty but they discontinued it in July.

I have had both my FR trailers get warranty work during the first year of ownership, NOT just 90 days.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Where did you get this information from?😖

The used to have an optional 2nd year factory warranty but they discontinued it in July.

I have had both my FR trailers get warranty work during the first year of ownership, NOT just 90 days.
Bikendan,he might be "Part Correct" in regards to saying about the 90 Day Deal! There have been members on here claim that F/R said it is the "Owners Responsibility" to check & Maintain the Roof sealant! This was Before the 1st year Warr. was over! Youroo!!
Old 11-14-2017, 06:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpotapa View Post
I wish I read this thread before I bought my camper two weeks ago. My wife and I decided to get the extended warrenty. I’ll have to read the contract to see if I can opt out. The problem is the dealer is over two hours away and it would be a hassle to get out there. I doubt they would let me opt out over the phone.
I opted out of mine a few years ago through fax. I also dealt directly with the company that offered it, not the dealer. It turned out to be quite easy.
WERA #13
'17 Work and Play 25WB
'11 F350 DRW
T11ravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:34 AM   #14
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
I realize its a gamble, but being retired...it's a gamble I'm willing to pay for. Especially since on my previous Forest River fifth wheel I had to have both the gray water tank (shower/sink) and black water tank replaced - and the extended warranty company paid 100% except for my $100 deductible.

Later I had to have the other gray tank replaced - same experience with them.

And, the plastic heater blower fan (squirrel cage type fan) came apart and they paid off like a slot machine to have that replaced with an aluminum squirrel cage blower fan.

Then - there was the Schwintek slide-out motor that went out on a Sunday morning just before we headed out.

I kept track of the costs for repairs, minus the deductible and I still came out well over $1,000 to the good on that six-year ownership.

So - when we purchased a new unit back in May and I was able to negotiate the cost of the extended warranty down to a reasonable figure (and they even reduced the deductible from $100 to $50 per occurrence) - I bought it again.

It may be a waste of money, but I do have peace of mind.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Cardinal 3456RLX - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016 & 2017 & 2018: 834 ~ Nights Camping 2019: 121
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:41 AM   #15
AMG

Quote:
Where did you get this information from?��

Direct from Forest River over the phone when I was arguing about my roof issue and who needs to be the better person and fix it (dealer vs FR) I was told by Robbie that if I had read closely the roof itself carries a 90 day warranty where the rest of the coach is 1 year. But then he said they are going to help me anyhow. I decided not to argue more. He also stressed how the ownership was on me to check the roof more often and perform repairs at least twice yearly. Keep in mind the leak happened less than 1 year old!

I think they owned up to it because they knew it was their fault truly, as it leaked where it shouldn’t have.

Btw it then sat 5 months at the dealer. Needed new 2x4 joist that rotted, new ceiling, new roof.
Afterwards I EternaBond taped the entire roof. It is not leaking there ever again!
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:22 PM   #16

The warranty company I got mine through is Portfolio Protection. That’s who the dealer goes through.
mpotapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:40 PM   #17

coverage

We use extride we bought from a rrv dealer out of florida, yea found them on the internet. Air went south, paid my 100 clams and it was fixed without hassle. PM me if you want more details...

7 years for about 2.5 large. Happy with the deal.
L'IL Foot" 2014 Sunseeker 2300
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:46 PM   #18
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

If your living hand to mouth it might be worth tabling. I would save my money.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:50 AM   #19

My DH mentioned Good Samís extended warranty for our new Cherokee 274VFK. Does anyone have experience with this companyís warranty service?
wrsees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #20
Curiouser and Curiouser

My experience with an extended warranty has been just the opposite of the OP responding. When presented with the warranty, there were three options for coverage. I carefully read every word on the warranties offered. I knew that I needed coverage that included the most expensive parts on my FR3 as the talk on the forum convinced me that lots and lots of people had experienced major failures in the slide outs, roofs, etc. so I made sure that I selected the plan that covered all of that.

Well, as it turns out, I have experienced most every one of those failures and with the exception of the $55.00 fee, everything has been covered. I just make a list of every problem I can not easily take care of myself, and take the motorhome in once a year and get everything else attended to.

I have saved a ton of money. However, the other way to look at this is that if there had been good quality parts installed correctly in the first place, with even minimal quality control at the factory, I likely wouldn't have needed such an extensive warranty. Still...

Tags
warranty