Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2019, 09:36 AM   #1

extended warranty or self-insure

I am buying a 2018 25' Sunseeker with the Mercedes Benz, with 2000 miles. I am interested in opinions about whether I should take a chance on self-insuring or buying an extended warranty. I travel about 10,000 miles a year and am considering potential problems over the next 5 years. My XtraRide quote (and I know there are cheaper ones available) for 5 years and $500 deductible is $5841. $200 deductible is $$6594.
If I do buy the warranty, how much is negotiable?
Thanks!
friverc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:51 AM   #2

There is no question in my mind, I would self insure. You can bank the money instead, and do a lot of repairs, if they’re even needed, for $6000.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:10 AM   #3

That is a lot of $$$. Only you can decide if it is worth it to you.
The only thing I can add is that we loved our 5 year Platinum level XtraRide policy. It covered everything except consumable items like tires, brakes, batteries. Of course mine was on a fifth wheel, so MUCH cheaper, with a $50 deductible. We used it all over the country and never had any problems. Definitely got our $$$ worth.
So read the fine print, find out if it covers your drive train, and what it does NOT cover, and run some numbers. You would have to have some pretty large failures to make up the $6k cost.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
That is a lot of $$$. Only you can decide if it is worth it to you.
The only thing I can add is that we loved our 5 year Platinum level XtraRide policy. It covered everything except consumable items like tires, brakes, batteries. Of course mine was on a fifth wheel, so MUCH cheaper, with a $50 deductible. We used it all over the country and never had any problems. Definitely got our $$$ worth.
So read the fine print, find out if it covers your drive train, and what it does NOT cover, and run some numbers. You would have to have some pretty large failures to make up the $6k cost.
My 5 year Platinum level XtraRide policy worked out great for me, too. I paid $1800 (much cheaper for our 5th wheel than your unit) and it paid $4200 for two major service sessions including a new axle and A/C unit. My deductible was $100. My last use of the extended service contract was approved 2-3 days before the contract expired and paid 2-3 days after expiration.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:35 AM   #5

100% of any extended warranty is negotiable... Is the warranty for the chasis ( engine, drivetrain?) or the whole thing (interior, roof, etc)? Compare coverages and costs and get it down some $$... some repairs to engine and computer can exceed $5,000... When you get 5 years and 80K miles it may pay for itself.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:26 PM   #6

I was lucky enough when I purchased my FR3 it had 14 months left on the Easy Plan Warranty and was transferrable!
Fireman Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:45 PM   #7

On vehicles and campers I have not had a single warranty. The costs of those being well over $30k. Thus far I’ve had 1 problem that would have been covered. I’m $30k to the good. That 1 cost $1460. I have the reserves to cover anything and get it done without waiting for approval. Make your decision based on reserve and how much inconvenience you are willing to accept. Watch the fine print or end like my neighbor with a covered problem in an emergency in nowhere with the nearest tech over an hour away but as not in the network $2000 claim denied.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:02 PM   #8

I figure the reason dealers sell extended warranties is not much because they want you to use it but because they make a lot of money on them. True some folks do have issues and need them, but if you can afford a $100k motor home then you can probably afford any repairs after warranty. I have never bought an extended warranty on anything.
medalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:06 PM   #9

The way insurance (warranty) policies work

On average the policy will cost 50% more than the cost of the repairs made. when spread across all policy holders. Insurance (warranty) companies have to charge much more to cover the commission to the selling vendor AND the cost of repairs.

My experience in life is that only once I saved money by buying and extended warranty (washer and dryer). All the other times I purchased a warranty, it cost more than the repairs I made.

You are paying for a peace of mind and a fight with the insurer when it comes time to use it. I pass.
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by friverc View Post
I am buying a 2018 25' Sunseeker with the Mercedes Benz, with 2000 miles. I am interested in opinions about whether I should take a chance on self-insuring or buying an extended warranty. I travel about 10,000 miles a year and am considering potential problems over the next 5 years. My XtraRide quote (and I know there are cheaper ones available) for 5 years and $500 deductible is $5841. $200 deductible is $$6594.
If I do buy the warranty, how much is negotiable?
Thanks!
The only kind of extended warranty you need is really just on the that Mercedes Benz it's self . the rv part save the bucks . thing about Mercedes compared to the ford chassis or chevy is it can be hard to find a dealer and when something goes wrong which it will you'll be out away from it all and that chevy or ford dealer around the corner won't be able to help and the closest mercedes will be 3 times as far away .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
The only kind of extended warranty you need is really just on the that Mercedes Benz it's self . the rv part save the bucks . thing about Mercedes compared to the ford chassis or chevy is it can be hard to find a dealer and when something goes wrong which it will you'll be out away from it all and that chevy or ford dealer around the corner won't be able to help and the closest mercedes will be 3 times as far away .
I have the Mercedes chassis. My $6,000. Extended warranty was a total waste of money. I would bank it next time. When I ‘ve had issues come up I’ve been far from a dealer, they’re busy- can’t get me in...... I’ve turned to mobile mechanics as an easier choice sometimes. My extended warranty failed to pay up for a $550. emergency repair.
I had to get towed once to the nearest Mercedes dealership 425 miles away. AAA covered about a 100 miles. It cost me $500. out of pocket.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:24 PM   #12

Thanks. That's helpful.
friverc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
I have the Mercedes chassis. My $6,000. Extended warranty was a total waste of money. I would bank it next time. When I ‘ve had issues come up I’ve been far from a dealer, they’re busy- can’t get me in...... I’ve turned to mobile mechanics as an easier choice sometimes. My extended warranty failed to pay up for a $550. emergency repair.
I had to get towed once to the nearest Mercedes dealership 425 miles away. AAA covered about a 100 miles. It cost me $500. out of pocket.
EXACTLY !!!
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:45 PM   #14

Purchased extended mainly based on being new to the business. Old enough to figure that most of the price point would go for "peace of mind" and extreme circumstances were they to happen. So far have used it twice with a $100 dollar deductible for repairs totaling under $1500. Have another three years on an extended costing over 4K. We shall see but so far can live with it again based on "peace of mind".
Old 12-05-2019, 05:54 PM   #15

Put the money in the bank. They wouldn't sell extended service plans unless they made a WHOLE LOT of money off of them. Statistics are far in your favor of not having a a need for expensive service. Here's one most people don't know: The service company determines how long a repair is supposed to take. I had some warranty work done a few years ago. The dealer said it took 10 hours, but the service contract company said that it was only a 5 hour job. Guess who paid the $500 difference...me!
Old 12-05-2019, 06:14 PM   #16

I usually purchase extended warranties on my cars. They have usually paid for themselves and I go to a nearby dealership. (and they are not as pricy as a rv extended warranty is.) With my rv; not the case. I am usually on the road far from home and may have a tight schedule. There’s very likely no dealer around who can help me out. Hence the mobile mechanic who comes in handy- straight to your campsite.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:31 PM   #17
Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
I have a 2017 Forester MBS 2401WS built on a 2016 Sprinter chassis with 32,000 miles. I bought a 5 year warranty from an online broker for about $2,550. I have viewed the warranty as for the coach and not the chassis. Thus far I needed one repair during the first year FR guarantee for a battery charging problem. I might have used the warranty for some other problems I have had but felt it was better to fix them myself or at least pay for the repair than to bother submitting a claim. The fact that I live in the country and am 100 miles away from the closest RV repair or dealer plays a part here though.

Mercedes has been great In taking care of problems with the chassis by towing the motorhome hundreds of miles when there was a problem at their expense. I've been towed from home to Denver ,235 miles, because 2 150 amp fuses blew and I couldn't start the engine and on a trip from Texas it went into limp home mode and I needed a 4+ hour tow to to fix a problem with the clean air exhaust system. I have used Mercedes for oil changes and scheduled maintence however, because I think it can eliminate any finger pointing when I have a problem. I do not feel confident with this vehicle since I have experienced a check engine light on 4 occasions. My daily driver, a Honda CRV, has been trouble free for the 82,000 miles and 5 years of ownership.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_Grandpa View Post
On average the policy will cost 50% more than the cost of the repairs made. when spread across all policy holders. Insurance (warranty) companies have to charge much more to cover the commission to the selling vendor AND the cost of repairs.

My experience in life is that only once I saved money by buying and extended warranty (washer and dryer). All the other times I purchased a warranty, it cost more than the repairs I made.

You are paying for a peace of mind and a fight with the insurer when it comes time to use it. I pass.
Wondering if the warranty company will weasel out of a claim and anticipating a fight with them to get something covered, to me, is NOT peace of mind. Knowing I have the money in the bank and being able to get it repaired however I want IS peace of mind.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:39 PM   #19
Brake is on left

IMHO, if that covers the RV parts, chassis and drivetrain...AND lets you go to a Merc shop then it is something to work a deal on. I was never one for such warranties until lately. With all the tech and EPA mandated diesel bits it is easy to cross that threshold. Of course it depends on how long the warranty is for since you dont drive it much. My Ford warranty was less than half that but a minor oil leak put me in the black because the trans had to come out to fix it.
Again, work a deal. Do not ever pay full pop.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:57 PM   #20

personally I think extended warranties on ANYTHING are a waste of money, put it in the bank.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty