Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #1

Question Extended Warrenty

Whats is everyones thought on extended warrenty offerded by the dealership. I have purchased a 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 26BH and the dealer wants to know if I want an additional 6 yrs warrenty. Reading through the info on it sounds really good but the odds of ever claiming on it are 50/50?? It also increases my monthly payments by $30; What kind of costs am I looking at for the different major comonents of a trailer?
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
Site Team

waste of money.
go with the $150 2nd year of the factory warranty. there are numerous threads here about it.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:26 PM   #3

Agreed. Especially if you're at all handy.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #4

Wink john51

its amazing how dealers word there product and how well built they are and 20 minutes after your in the finance office your being provided with extended warranty and services contract information .personally with my new trailer for peice of mind I want one but not at the price they are trying to sell them at. if you go after market you'll find there almost half the price .the only problem you and I share is that we live in canada and theres not much to choose from in the aftermarket unless you can trust dealing with companies selling there product out of the states .I've researched it enough that you will need to be provided witha canadian contract and from there its finding out if any canadian rv service centres have or will deal with a us credit card picking up the bill on the policy if used .also note , according to my dealership the second year extended contract for forest river new product is not available on canadian purchases
john51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:28 AM   #5
Site Team

Find out what it will & will not cover. Read the fine print, do some math and then decide. For a lot of people it's not worth it but for some it's well worth the peace of mind. Again, you need to know what exactly is covered. I'm considering all it on to my TT this summer but I haven't done all my homework yet so no decision yet. Currently I'm checking into the 2nd warrenty from FR and leaning towards it.

Congrats on your Cruise Lite 26HB! I have a Cruise Lite TT too but much smaller.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by john51 View Post
also note , according to my dealership the second year extended contract for forest river new product is not available on canadian purchases
They had no problems selling it to me. Just to cover my bases I opened a US dollar chequing account at my local bank and used that as payment. That way I have a copy of the cancelled cheque in case I do run into any issues. If Forest River sells it; I cannot see how they would want to risk having issues with Industry Canada or Transport Canada.

Also if you do want to go with your dealer's offer of an extended warranty- negotiate the heck out of it. They wanted to sell it to me for $1800 for 6 years, then they went down to $1200. After I got home it was $1000.

I said no mostly because I have a pretty basic trailer. I don't have any slides; for example. I also priced out what the main components of my trailer would be to replace; and I would have to replace 2 or 3 of my major appliances for me to break even.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by john51 View Post
also note , according to my dealership the second year extended contract for forest river new product is not available on canadian purchases
That dealer is not correct - I am in the Toronto area and have purchased the 2nd year for $150 - direct with FR by phone and fax and a very nice lady in the warranty department.

Dealers make NO money from this sale, that explains their behaviour...
Old 03-19-2011, 07:33 AM   #8
Bud

2nd year factory warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Whats is everyones thought on extended warrenty offerded by the dealership. I have purchased a 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 26BH and the dealer wants to know if I want an additional 6 yrs warrenty. Reading through the info on it sounds really good but the odds of ever claiming on it are 50/50?? It also increases my monthly payments by $30; What kind of costs am I looking at for the different major comonents of a trailer?
I would not go for the dealer warranty but the manufacturer 2nd year was a good $150 for us in 2007.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #9
Wanna Be Camper

Depending on who the insurance is through, I would get it in a heartbeat. We have had it on both our trailers and if you don't use it, you get over 80% of it back at the end of the term. Ours covers everything in the trailer except wear items like tires and brakes or the canvas on the awning. It does however cover the mechanical parts of the awning. You have to look at the big picture and if you happen to get a lemon, well it will pay for itself easily. If you have a good trailer then I would only consider using the warranty if the item was a big ticket item. I see far too many people who think they need to claim every little thing that goes wrong and do the same with their house insurance and then wonder why the insurance companies jack their rates through the roof or won't reinsure them at the end of a term. We paid 1800 for our insurance and will get back 1500 at the end of the term so 50 bux a year is pretty cheap peace of mind considering that isn't much more than the cost of half a carton of cigarettes here (and no we don't smoke). And then if you had to use it to replace a high price item, well it speaks for itself then.
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote