Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2014, 11:51 AM   #1

Fair asking price

We are in the process of trying to purchase a 2015 Salem Lite 26BHXL. "Sale Price" at the dealer was $16,500. Sales manager says he does not like to play the numbers game so he puts what he has out on the table. After googling other's for sale, I found the average asking price was $15,500. I emailed the sales manager, telling him this (I looked up 10 places online and found only one more expensive and one about the same price but the other 8 were way less). We then offered $15,000. Does anyone think that was out of line? Even though he said the $16500 was all he had? They do have 5 or 6 of these on their lot. It's been since yesterday at 2:00 that I sent the email and still haven't heard. We really want this trailer. Been on this search for over a month now! We already lost two we really wanted! One was used and they found bad water damage during the PDI and the second one was a new 2013 JayFlight and the dealer would only budge $500 off the asking price and it was more than we could do and he refused to go any further.
Kristine25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:04 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Kristine, Welcome to the forum. I don't think you are out of line at all asking for a reduction. Based upon your research your offer seems fair. If they won't budge maybe try for a awning if there is not one installed or some extras up and including annual free service like brakes and bearings etc for a couple years. You are the customer and he has stock, summer is here and often July is slow for most RV dealers except for lots of service issues.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:06 PM   #3

"Fair price" is kind of relative. You made him an offer - I would sit tight and see if they blink at this point. It comes down to who wants it more. Don't let him see you sweat. If they say no - decide if you want to go higher with a new offer.

And, for whatever it may be worth - after learning this the hard way, who you buy from makes the camper worth more or less. By that, I mean buying from a far away, low price guy can really bite you down the road if (more like when) you need sevice. And likewise, a local guy that is less than ethical or has a lousy service department can be a nightmare as well.

Sometimes its hard to tell going in, but a really good dealer can be worth the extra $$ and save you time, grief, and money over the life of the camper.

Search around on this forum - you will find:

Very few people who get a camper with zero issues at PDI and during the warranty period (though most are very happy with their rv).

Many people who bought far from home and now the local guy won't work on their camper. A $150 warranty fix isn't worth it if you burn $200 in gas getting there and back.

Many people unhappy with dealers for various reasons and many others very pleased and very loyal to a good dealer.

RV's aren't like cars - any Chevy dealer works on any Chevy. Not so with RV's - so you need to have a plan for after the sale - whether its the selling dealer or you can find somebody else to work with.

Good luck in your hunt - and hang in there. Salesmen will always call back if they know you are seriously looking.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine25 View Post
We are in the process of trying to purchase a 2015 Salem Lite 26BHXL. "Sale Price" at the dealer was $16,500. Sales manager says he does not like to play the numbers game so he puts what he has out on the table. After googling other's for sale, I found the average asking price was $15,500. I emailed the sales manager, telling him this (I looked up 10 places online and found only one more expensive and one about the same price but the other 8 were way less). We then offered $15,000. Does anyone think that was out of line? Even though he said the $16500 was all he had? They do have 5 or 6 of these on their lot. It's been since yesterday at 2:00 that I sent the email and still haven't heard. We really want this trailer. Been on this search for over a month now! We already lost two we really wanted! One was used and they found bad water damage during the PDI and the second one was a new 2013 JayFlight and the dealer would only budge $500 off the asking price and it was more than we could do and he refused to go any further.
Ditto on sitting on the offer a bit longer. When you do speak with the dealer it wouldn't hurt to share that you also are not interested in playing the price game either which is why you have placed a fair & reasonable price offer on the table. In the meantime be prepare to either pay the asking price or continue your search elsewhere. Were the lower price units in your area? Prices can vary from state to state. During the peak season period dealers might be less flexible with price.

I almost walked away from buying my TT due to the price being about an $1k more than an reduced price tag on another dealer's lot. (I was on the other dealer's lot when the "Sold" sign went up.) The key for me was that I was dealing with a different dealer with different pricing and his final price was fair to both sides.

Please do keep us updated.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:10 PM   #5

With all due respect to that dealer there is NO SUCH THING AS NOT PLAYING THE NUMBERS GAME. It's all a numbers game and whatever the dealer says is all part of The Numbers Game. This is yet another sales tactic and everyone has to play. You need to turn off your brain to everything but the number. That's all you should hear, the number. Pay no attention to, "This is my best price", "This is a firm price", "I just can't do any better", yada, yada, yada. Both sides can think they are not playing the game but it is a game, plain and simple.I would have told the dealer that that means nothing to me and I stand on my price just like you. The really smart people that sell products have figured out long ago that selling more stock at a slightly lower price does better for everybody..
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #6

Thanks for all your advice. We finally got a call from the dealer and he met us half way plus included hitch sway and all the little extras like tp, hose, sewer lines, toilet chemicals, etc. we pick her up next tuesday!! I look forward to being an active member of this forum!!!!
Kristine25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #7
Site Team

Good to hear that you are getting your trailer! Soon you will be out camping and enjoying the RV life.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Forest River Forums mobile app

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #8

My dealer puts the 'lowered' price out front. It matches what others come down to. No bickering. We immediately know what we're getting into.
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:59 PM   #9

dealer we bought from has the wildwood 261bhxl which should be the same for between 13495 and 13995. they are in columbus ga though
jawga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:30 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

We just went through this with the sabre we are buying. I researched all local dealers and rvtrader.com. I lucked out that the cheapest 34reqs in the country was 3 1/2 hrs up the road. I talked back and forth with that dealership. They didn't come down but were a great price. I took the sheet they worked up for me as a firm offer to 2 local dealerships. I allotted them a little more as the unit at the local dealership had some more options (ie second AC and upgraded insulation, etc). I let them compare the two trailers. The first dealership didn't budge and I walked. The second dealership didn't want to come down that much until I was ready to walk to the other dealership that was farther away. Then the sales manager said "we would rather a little piece of the pie then no pie at all." He went and talked to the owner. For about $2300 more than the deal 3 1/2 hrs away, I got a trailer with more options and a fifth wheel hitch installed. The key here is to find a similarly equipped unit within a reasonable drive. Keep in mind farther away has different shipping fees for the dealership to obtain the unit which is why the trailers in Indiana are so cheap. You will definitely have better ground with the dealership if you have a firm offer in hand. Also if they cant come down, see what they will include at that price. Ie hitch, surge protector, camping equipment, whatever as everything is negotiable.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawga View Post
dealer we bought from has the wildwood 261bhxl which should be the same for between 13495 and 13995. they are in columbus ga though

I got my 261BHXL for less. Bought it in Anderson, IN. I believe it was built in Elkhart or that general vicinity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote