Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #1

Question fellow Canadian campers

Hi there, we're a new family onto the scene. We're looking at the Surveyor sv-235rks and Rockwood 23RS new 2010/2011. We've finally outgrown our boler! They both have rear slides. Just wondering people's experiences with them. What options we should be considering. How to properly negotiate with sales people. Any tips and of course fun family camping spots! Thanks!
newcampfam. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

to the forum !!!

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum. Don't know about those models, we have a new Rockwood 8317rkss. Just wondering where you are from. We live near Calgary and camp from here all the way back to Manitoba, where I am originally from. We have camped in a lot of good areas.

Are you only looking at buying local? We bought from a wholesaler and would do it again. Picked up trailer in Elkhart, IN. and had a great experience and saved over 12,000.

Good luck with your search!
2005 Brute Force 750
And most importantly, a loving wife, 2 year old son and a NEW BABY GIRL NOV.30 (I do it all for them!)
rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #4

We're just outside of Winnipeg, and will be traveling West as well, so any info on fav. camping spots would be an asset. We're looking to buy anywhere as long as the price is right. I was having a hard time finding cheaper prices in the us, but we're also going with a smaller TT, so maybe thats why. Anybody have any positive or negative experiences with salespeople in Manitoba please let me know!!
newcampfam. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
Wanna Be Camper

I guess everyone has different experiences with local dealers even the same one. We got our V-Lite from Minard's Liesure World in Weyburn Sk and got a smokin deal (over 10k off all told) and they even got the factory to install flooring that was not an option with the interior we wanted. The service dept is second to none and the staff still all know us by name when they see us. Now that said others on here could not get them to deal at all so as they say results may vary. You will have to be your own judge on local. I will never make a major purchase other than local as I value local support and have not been let down yet from RV's to trucks and cars to major appliances but others will disagree.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcampfam. View Post
Hi there, we're a new family onto the scene. We're looking at the Surveyor sv-235rks and Rockwood 23RS new 2010/2011. We've finally outgrown our boler! They both have rear slides. Just wondering people's experiences with them. What options we should be considering. How to properly negotiate with sales people. Any tips and of course fun family camping spots! Thanks!
I am an owner of a '09 surveyor 235 rks. While the trailer is very nice, if I had a second chance I would have bought the surveyor 291 for a couple reasons.

1. The weight difference was only 300 lbs. between the two models (actual sticker inside each trailer)
2. A full length bed (80") that is not in a slide (the bed in the slide is 74" not such a big deal but it is a cooler place to sleep vs. not being in a slide)
3. The bathroom (read shower especially) is much larger in the 291.
4. It was only going to cost me $1500 more at the time for the 291.
5. Much more wardrobe storage.
6. No table to fold up and down when setting up.
7. An even bigger awning! (not that the 235's is too small...)

One big advantage of the 235 rks is the folding bed with the 1/2 door. We can fit the family's bikes in this area, not sure if this would be possible with the 291.

While the bed is not full length (74") it is extra wide. We are not tall people but I have started to sleep diagonally keeping my feet on the bed at night. This is something that I have never gotten used to, good thing my wife is 5 foot nothing, I don't get in her way!

I've mentioned this before, the 235 rks has lots of space but not much storage (read cabinets). It does tow great and we can live with it but if I was to do it all over again...

Be sure that you purchase the 2nd year warranty for approx. $150 from forest river, it's a great deal that covers the WHOLE trailer. I paid $22000 + taxes for my trailer... in june '08. Of course, that is canadian. I saw list prices online as high as $31,000 at that time... I know, they are just that, list prices.

Again, this is my experiences. I have two children who are now 6 and 8, camping is a way of life for them!
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote