Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2014, 09:55 AM   #1

Fifth Wheel Liability Insurance

I have comp through Good Sam and my liability is covered by my tow vehicle insurance. This seems to be quite common. What happens if someone is injured in or on the RV while parked in a camping space?
Any insurance gurus out there that can help clear this up or offer other suggestions?
Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:51 PM   #2

That's a first I've heard of your trailer being covered by your Truck's insurance. Every trailer i've ever had has always had to be insured on its own.

I just switched back to Liberty Mutual and I was quoted $125 a year for a 2015 40ft Coachmen 5th wheel ($250 deductible on collision, $0 on comp) with 250/500k coverage.

So in that respect, it has its own insurance to cover issues up to a half million.
blwnsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:03 PM   #3

State farm told us our camper is covered by truck insurance anytime it is hooked to truck also . We also have full coverage on both truck and camper each too !

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
state farm told us our camper is covered by truck insurance anytime it is hooked to truck also . We also have full coverage on both truck and camper each too !

Sent from my iphone using forest river forums
x2 in every aspect.

turbs

"sabre owners united"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:07 PM   #5

Quote:
State farm told us our camper is covered by truck insurance anytime it is hooked to truck also . We also have full coverage on both truck and camper each too !

That's very weird because I had a very lengthy conversation with my State Farm rep last week about the 5th wheel we are getting and they quoted me $376 a year for coverage on the camper. No only that, I had to have a trailer policy for my snowmobile trailer as well with them.

That's the reason why I changed companies.. $376 vs $125 a year with lower deductibles with Liberty Mutual.

Been with this agent for 6+ years so I have a great relationship with them.. Sad to change.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:11 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to B and B
We have 2 Trailers and both are on our Home Policy. Not attached to our truck or separate rider for each.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:14 PM   #7

We have all of insur with SF - have had for years house, cars, camper etc....prob not the cheapest but best coverage and service for us - sometimes it is NOT about saving a few dollars - works for us

Old 08-26-2014, 04:05 PM   #8

I have had a number of insurance companies over the years, Allstate, MCA, GEICO, State Farm and Good Sam, I have not notice much difference in the coverage or service and I do know that if you stay with the same company for years you will pay more. When people change companies they may well get better rates and over time the rates will go up.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:07 PM   #9

Quote:
We have all of insur with SF - have had for years house, cars, camper etc....prob not the cheapest but best coverage and service for us - sometimes it is NOT about saving a few dollars - works for us

I hear you on that.. they have been fantastic with my claims in the past but between everything, I am personally saving $800 a year between cars, trailer and house with a potential of up to an additional 25% off cars with their OBDII recorder for 90 days. That is not something to walk away from and I've had LM prior to SF with no issues.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #10
NELA

We changed from Liberty Mutual (while in FL) to Farm Bureau when we moved to LA.

Don't know the numbers (that's *his* job) but I know we saved a wad of dough.

All our eggs: 3 vehicles, S&B and 5er are all in one basket, Farm Bureau.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #11
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwnsmoke View Post
That's a first I've heard of your trailer being covered by your Truck's insurance. Every trailer i've ever had has always had to be insured on its own.

I just switched back to Liberty Mutual and I was quoted $125 a year for a 2015 40ft Coachmen 5th wheel ($250 deductible on collision, $0 on comp) with 250/500k coverage.

So in that respect, it has its own insurance to cover issues up to a half million.
Trailer is covered by the TV's LIABILITY insurance only. If you were to back into somebody with your trailer your liability policy on your truck will pay for their damage. Of course liability will not pay to have your trailer fixed. That is where your $125/year comp/collision insurance comes in.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:43 PM   #12

Fifth Wheel Liability Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
Trailer is covered by the TV's LIABILITY insurance only. If you were to back into somebody with your trailer your liability policy on your truck will pay for their damage. Of course liability will not pay to have your trailer fixed. That is where your $125/year comp/collision insurance comes in.

Correct ^^^😄. And we have a zero comp deductible on truck and camper - not offered anymore according to SF but we have had them for a looonnnggg time on all of our vehicles 👍

Old 08-26-2014, 06:48 PM   #13

My question is this. If the trailer is parked in a RV park (not hooked to the tow vehicle) and someone trips on the steps and sustains an injury do you have liability coverage?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 08-26-2014, 06:56 PM   #14

Yes we have full coverage on camper as well

Old 08-26-2014, 07:04 PM   #15

I think I found the answer

Fulltimer liability — Offers liability coverage similar to homeowner's insurance when the RV is parked and is used as a residence. This coverage includes emergency treatment and medical expenses for others injured in or around your RV.
Campsite liability — Similar to fulltimer liability, but designed for short-term vacationers.

My campsite liability is $10,000 which seems low

Old 08-26-2014, 08:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
That makes perfect sense now.. thanks for explaining!!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubya View Post
I think I found the answer

Fulltimer liability — Offers liability coverage similar to homeowner's insurance when the RV is parked and is used as a residence. This coverage includes emergency treatment and medical expenses for others injured in or around your RV.
Campsite liability — Similar to fulltimer liability, but designed for short-term vacationers.

My campsite liability is $10,000 which seems low

$10,000 is very low. Someone gets hurt, and MRI alone is $3,500.. you will burn through that very quickly. I'd have at least $100,000 if not more and you'd be surprised on how cheap it is to bump it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
We changed from Liberty Mutual (while in FL) to Farm Bureau when we moved to LA.

Don't know the numbers (that's *his* job) but I know we saved a wad of dough.

All our eggs: 3 vehicles, S&B and 5er are all in one basket, Farm Bureau.
i think the biggest thing is shopping around every year or two at most. Seems companies like to raise their rates.. My homeowners went up 30% over 4 years.. no claims, no reason for it and no explanation from them.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:55 AM   #18
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwnsmoke View Post
i think the biggest thing is shopping around every year or two at most. Seems companies like to raise their rates.. My homeowners went up 30% over 4 years.. no claims, no reason for it and no explanation from them.
Yes indeed, insurance companies, just like the rest of corporate America rely on a few basic things to guide all of their business decisions, people are lazy and tend to just keep doing the same thing and/or people do not like change. As was mentioned above, sticking with the same brand/company out of a misguided sense of loyalty rarely pays off nowadays when dealing with a provider of just about any service or product. As much as it does not seem fair, it is what it is.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:09 PM   #19
NELA

We've not seen the premium creep from Farm Bureau. From others? YEP

Just moving from FL to LA, Liberty Mutual wanted to DOUBLE our auto insurance. We rented a condo in FL, so they lost our homeowners' coverage (we bought our home a few months after moving here), one additional vehicle and the 5er coverage.

We even financed Sneak's truck through FB. Had to stay with the Ford dealer for 90 days for a special rebate they offered, then swung it over to FB for a huge savings.

"ya gotta shop around"

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #20

When 5th wheel is in a campground not hooked to tow vehicle and someone is injured in your camper - say they fall off the steps and are injured- liability should extend from your Homeowners policy. If you are a full timer, you need a liability policy for this.
Den47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, wheel