Old 10-08-2013, 12:45 AM   #11

Last week my Texas dealer told me "between 5 and 6%" when I first arrived. Later, I found out that the best they are giving anyone is 5.99. I guess they told the truth, in a (ahem, car dealer) manner of speaking.

BOA was more, AND had a $395.00 loan origination fee that sorta slipped their mind during our first conversation.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #12

I think a lot depends on what size dealer you are using. I know some of the smaller dealers will run your credit and send it to some lenders. Some of the larger dealers get a block of money, then they run your credit and sell you the $$ at a certain interest rate.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #13

Just last week-Fulton Bank RV Loan 5.99 12 years
tion: Lewisburg, PA

JEFF1508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:18 AM   #14

I know peoples needs are different and I'm no accountant but the beat thing to finance would be to refi your home at maybe 4% and take out up to 80% in equity then buy the RV. This way not only is it less unrest you pay back but its tax deductible since its tied to your home.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #15

Shop around you would be surprise in the different rate amount banks and creit unions in your area. I found anywhere from 3.99 at Sharefax credit union in cincinnati for 10 years to 7+ at other credit unions and banks. Only takes a few minutes to call and get rate and terms especially if you know your credit score. If your in indiana or Michigan call chiphone credit union best rates around but couldn't get them to loan money to a neighboring buckeye.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:51 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copeland View Post
I know peoples needs are different and I'm no accountant but the beat thing to finance would be to refi your home at maybe 4% and take out up to 80% in equity then buy the RV. This way not only is it less unrest you pay back but its tax deductible since its tied to your home.
I realize this is your first post, and you admit you have no tax or financial training, but IMO, borrowing on your home to buy anything that depreciates is bad advice.

In addition since an RV has all of the features of a second home, it (and boats with a galley, head, and bed) is considered a "second home" and all interest is tax deductible anyway. (as long as you are below the debt level where second home interest is tax deductible - currently 1.1 million in total debt).

AND

The loan is secured by the RV and you are not already reporting interest on a main and second home.

You usually need to check - "I did not receive a 1098 for this interest" on your tax return.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tool.../INF12015.html

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #17

I feel lucky as well...my credit union gave me 2.74 for 10 years on a new Georgetown.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #18

Were are you located? What credit union may I ask?
Old 10-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #19

We originally used dealer financing but then found out that Costco Wholesale Club has an affiliation with a finance company. We refinanced our unit this past spring and dropped 3 years off the term and kept our payment the same. They also offer new RV purchase loans as well.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #20

I just read that B of A is getting out of the RV loan business. I would get rates from Good Sam and Bank of the West and use them to see if the dealer can beat those rates. As you get near $30,000, they will go 15 or even 18 years. The higher the amount financed the lower the interest rate from the larger lenders, Good Sam, Bank of the West (which was the largest RV finance bank). The interest on RV loans is also tax deductable because they are considered second homes. I would not take out a home equity loan on my paid for ranch with home and barns etc. to pay for an RV. What if something happend and I could no longer pay for the loan, they would take my ranch. With an RV loan they would take back the RV.