Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2015, 09:01 AM   #1
Longhornfamily

First time owners!

We picked up our new Wildwood 31BKIS on April 1st and have been able to use it for 5 nights already! Family loves it and we look forward to using it many more times. We have a trip to Florida planned in August from Dallas. We have not had any problems pulling the trailer to the State Park that is about 30 miles away. I have noticed some sway even pulling it a short distance, nothing terrible, but a little scary. However, I am a little nervous about pulling a 36' camper 700 miles since we don't have much experience pulling a trailer. Our TV is a 95 f350 diesel and have a EAZ hitch with one sway control bar. The reasons for my post is to get some advice on helping with the sway. #1 Would adding a second sway bar help? #2 If you see a used Hensley or pro pride hitch for sale please pm me. I would love to have one, just not for $2500. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	584.0 KB
ID:	75894
thbcthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:08 AM   #2

Air pressure in TV and trailer tires?

Who set up the EAZ hitch, and is it correct?

Can you add another bar?
Old 05-02-2015, 09:22 AM   #3
Longhornfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Air pressure in TV and trailer tires?

Who set up the EAZ hitch, and is it correct?

Can you add another bar?
The dealer set the hitch up and checked tire pressure on truck and trailer and said it was good. I am not sure if I can add another sway control. I will add picture of hitch.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #4

When are you noticing the sway?
4 lane highways?

How much weight do you have in the back of the trailer as opposed to near the front.
More in the front will help some with sway.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thbcthomas View Post
The dealer set the hitch up and checked tire pressure on truck and trailer and said it was good. I am not sure if I can add another sway control. I will add picture of hitch.
I see, there are some members here who will tell you that some dealers have no clue as to how the hitch/s need to be set up and ended up reading the direction and redoing it them self's.

I would also double check the tire air pressure of both units just to be sure.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:14 AM   #6
Longhornfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
When are you noticing the sway?
4 lane highways?

How much weight do you have in the back of the trailer as opposed to near the front.
More in the front will help some with sway.
The sway is mostly on the highway when being passed by 18 wheelers and with high cross winds. Most of our weight/supplies are in the front nothing in the back. Not much supplies since all the trips have been just a couple of days.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:17 AM   #7

Quote:
The sway is mostly on the highway when being passed by 18 wheelers and with high cross winds. Most of our weight/supplies are in the front nothing in the back. Not much supplies since all the trips have been just a couple of days.
Ok,
Your going to get some sway from the trucks, for me it was the worst when car haulers would pass us. Not sure why with them, but always that was the worst.
For the high cross winds, you might try just tightening up your sway bar some.
Sounds like what you are getting is pretty normal, at least to me.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:16 AM   #8

Sway with 18 wheelers is normal. I just let off the skinny pedal so excited when they pass.
eortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #9
Site Team

I would never tow that long of a trailer with an old technology WDH and friction sway bar, like the EAZ
Even with a F350.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:29 PM   #10

I agree---what your seeing is pretty normal. I just towed my 33' TT from Seattle to Iowa, 2,000 miles. I experienced the same feel as you are getting both when being passed by Semi's and being hit by a strong side wind. I have the Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch and made things better by tightening up the bar chains a couple more links! Good luck.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:42 PM   #11

I agree, that is a lot of trailer for a friction stick. Anderson makes a good hitch, and way less expensive than the Hensley / Pro Pride. The far less expensive Husky works, too... slightly over 4 bills.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:48 PM   #12
Longhornfamily

Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I would never tow that long of a trailer with an old technology WDH and friction sway bar, like the EAZ
Even with a F350.
What would you recommend? We are new to this and looking for any tips and advice.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:09 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
What would you recommend? We are new to this and looking for any tips and advice.
One that has integrated sway control.
Reese Dual Cam, the Equal-i-zer or Blue Ox system.
A quick search on any RV forum will get you plenty of recommendations.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:11 AM   #14
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

We have a Equilizer 4-way 10K WDH and anti-sway. Our 282RK is 34 feet from bumper to hitch and get no sway or fishtail even passing trucks.,
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:42 AM   #15
Longhornfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
I agree---what your seeing is pretty normal. I just towed my 33' TT from Seattle to Iowa, 2,000 miles. I experienced the same feel as you are getting both when being passed by Semi's and being hit by a strong side wind. I have the Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch and made things better by tightening up the bar chains a couple more links! Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
We have a Equilizer 4-way 10K WDH and anti-sway. Our 282RK is 34 feet from bumper to hitch and get no sway or fishtail even passing trucks.,
So we have decided on the Equal-I-Zer, seems to be what we are looking for , gets great reviews, and is in our price range. RVWholesalers seems to be the cheapest at $468.99 and free shipping. 12K Equal-i-zer 4-Point Sway Control - RVWholesalers.com RV Parts and Accessories
I have looked and that seems to be the best price I can find. Anyone have suggestions on somewhere that might be cheaper or have a promo code?
Old 05-06-2015, 08:54 AM   #16
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

$470 is a great price. I don't know how difficult / easy it is to set up as we bought ours with the trailer and the dealer installed and set it up when we were doing the paperwork.

FYI, it will make some noise from the bars rubbing against the brackets, that's normal for a little while. Especially noticible when going slow and making sharper turns such as pulling into a gas station.

I found it easier to remove the anti-sway bars on the straight and level prior to backing the trailer on to the site. You get more jacknife ability and less tension on the bars when you go to remove them. True you have to run the jack down and remove the weight from the bars and then raise the jack again.

Be careful, as there is sometimes a lot of tension on those bars when you go to remove them.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:36 PM   #17

Love our propride. Found it used for $1100. Worth the two state drive to pick it up. We're pulling 35' with No experience and no issues.
sharkbate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:57 PM   #18
Longhornfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbate View Post
Love our propride. Found it used for $1100. Worth the two state drive to pick it up. We're pulling 35' with No experience and no issues.
Glad to hear you are enjoying the hitch. I have been search constantly for a Propride within 500 miles but have not had any luck. There is one for sale in the forum classifieds for $1000, but it is in Ohio. That is a little to far to drive from north central Tx.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:49 AM   #19

I have the dual-cam and when set up perfectly it works great. But, with a toy hauler and varying loads, it requires reset each time, which is a lot of work. I would say for a trailer with about the same load each trip it would be good, but for me it isn't so good.

Let us know how it goes with the Equal-I-Zer. I clicked the link and its $447 today (???).

This is what I would use if buying new. I like that it is considerably lighter and that its $470 with shipping. The come in models for smaller trailers for less $$$, too. Several of the XLR TH guys like their's.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...PZNN8H21YY2B1H

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time