Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2019, 02:51 PM   #1

First time rv/Extended Warranty?

Where do I begin, going Saturday to sign dotted line for a Sierra 387mkok fifth wheel. This is our first RV, wanting to know what everyone thinks about extended warranties. I imagine when borrowing this is where the finance guy makes his money, which is fine if what he is selling is worth it. Any suggestions on questions to ask of what experiences anyone may have had and if extended warranties were able to be used for the repair. Also they are trying to sell me xzilon sealant, has anyone had this done to their camper, and find it was worth it. I just want to be finished with all the headache and look forward to using it this spring. Thanks in advance

Diane
Mombez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:04 PM   #2

They will make the extended warranty sound great but myself would pass, some say take that money you would spend on it and put it away for any repairs later. Now some folks do like them so hope they chime in on why?.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:10 PM   #3
Site Team

I bought one that has been worth the money. There are several (many) threads on that subject on this site.

More details here ==> http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ns-176543.html.

... and here ==> http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ty-176711.html.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:15 PM   #4

If an extended warranty would make you feel better, research the XtraRide policies. We had the Platinum version for five years and it was fantastic and more than paid for itself. It covered everything but consumables and we did use it all over the country with no problems.

There are several threads where posters have nothing but good things to say about XtraRide.

You don't have to buy it from a dealer, and for sure don't have to put it in your finance package. Who wants to pay for an extended warranty for the length of your finance term (assuming it's greater than your policy term)?

But you are correct in questioning policies, especially through the selling dealer. Be sure and read the fine print.

Good luck and enjoy RVing!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:16 PM   #5
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I also for go the extended warranties and put the money aside for future repairs. I'd forgo the xzilon sealant another money maker for the dealer. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #6
Site Team

Someone recently posted that their 3rd party extended warranty wouldn't cover a bad slideout motor.
It's all in the fine print. Most extended warranties don't cover the real expensive stuff, like roof rot or delamination.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:48 PM   #7
Canadian Member

Congratulations on your new Sierra.

I agree about reading the fine print. If you are considering an extended warranty have them email you the contract terms so you can read them in advance and do some research.

We just purchased a new 5er and opted for the XtraRide 5 year warranty based on seeing a lot of good reviews. I hope I don’t regret it.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:03 PM   #8

Oh that is what Im doing now, with the help of everyones input. 20 a month is what I have to add to payment. Just got off the phone with them, slides are covered in initial mfg. warranty. They said refrigerator is usually biggest ticket item, since they have to take slide off to remove it, and that is covered by extended warranty. This warranty is from Brown and Brown. Need to check out the ones people are mentioning here. I guess the thing is you don't want to use the insurance but knowing if you do you at least got your money's worth.
Mombez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:37 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombez View Post
Oh that is what Im doing now, with the help of everyones input. 20 a month is what I have to add to payment. Just got off the phone with them, slides are covered in initial mfg. warranty. They said refrigerator is usually biggest ticket item, since they have to take slide off to remove it, and that is covered by extended warranty. This warranty is from Brown and Brown. Need to check out the ones people are mentioning here. I guess the thing is you don't want to use the insurance but knowing if you do you at least got your money's worth.
BS on the fridge being the biggest ticket item. There are many floorplans that don't have the fridge in the slideouts.

There are way more big ticket items, than a bad fridge in the slideout.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:47 PM   #10

My DW insisted on an extended warranty. We discussed it for over three hours. Her reasoning was that if something happened to me she'd have no idea what to do. I finally relented. The biggest factor in them is the dealer shops. You are pretty much relying on the shop, which sold you the warranty. You can go elsewhere, but the deductible is double. Also, some policies won't let you use mobile repair services. In those cases, you must bring the RV to a participating dealer.

There are third-party warranty companies. Wholesale Warranties have a lot lower prices than you'll find at any dealer, but be sure to get a participating dealer list to make sure there is one near you. Also, make sure it covers mobile repair services, if needed. Like someone else already said, get them to send you a copy of the policy, before you agree to buy anything. Be careful, a lot of them have Camping World listed and I don't see myself ever going there for any repairs.

Lastly, the main issue with saving the money you would spend on the policy is discipline. Too many people say they'll do it and if they actually save the money, that large savings account can begin to entice them to do something else with it. You must be disciplined enough to leave it alone.

No matter what you do, try not to roll that into your loan. If you do, that large cost gets even bigger as you pay interest on it.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Where do I begin, going Saturday to sign dotted line for a Sierra 387mkok fifth wheel. This is our first RV, wanting to know what everyone thinks about extended warranties. I imagine when borrowing this is where the finance guy makes his money, which is fine if what he is selling is worth it. Any suggestions on questions to ask of what experiences anyone may have had and if extended warranties were able to be used for the repair. Also they are trying to sell me xzilon sealant, has anyone had this done to their camper, and find it was worth it. I just want to be finished with all the headache and look forward to using it this spring. Thanks in advance

Diane
I would skip on both . take the money they would have charged you for any future repairs . I'm sure you'll come out ahead . remember they sell warranties with the hopes you'll never use it . you buy it with the mind set you'll need it . big money maker for the dealers . also finding people to do the warranty work can be hard some more so then other policies . you get all the warranty you need with the unit and component warranties .IMHO
one more note the finance guy will have to believe the worst things will happen if you don't buy it and try hard to scare you into buying it
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
My DW insisted on an extended warranty. We discussed it for over three hours. Her reasoning was that if something happened to me she'd have no idea what to do. I finally relented. The biggest factor in them is the dealer shops. You are pretty much relying on the shop, which sold you the warranty. You can go elsewhere, but the deductible is double. Also, some policies won't let you use mobile repair services. In those cases, you must bring the RV to a participating dealer.

There are third-party warranty companies. Wholesale Warranties have a lot lower prices than you'll find at any dealer, but be sure to get a participating dealer list to make sure there is one near you. Also, make sure it covers mobile repair services, if needed. Like someone else already said, get them to send you a copy of the policy, before you agree to buy anything. Be careful, a lot of them have Camping World listed and I don't see myself ever going there for any repairs.

Lastly, the main issue with saving the money you would spend on the policy is discipline. Too many people say they'll do it and if they actually save the money, that large savings account can begin to entice them to do something else with it. You must be disciplined enough to leave it alone.

No matter what you do, try not to roll that into your loan. If you do, that large cost gets even bigger as you pay interest on it.
All of what you are saying is dependent on the particular policy you purchase. Our XtraRide had no restriction on where, or deductible based on facility, or maintainance schedules. . We used it at dealerships and mobile services. All policies are not created equal!!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:00 PM   #13

I brought a extended warranty from Camping World that’s not worth the paper it was written on. I paid almost two thousand bucks for nothing
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:49 PM   #14

We have owned 5 campers over 40 years and never had or needed an extended warranty. For us it would have been a waste of money.

It can be insurance you are betting that you may need it the selling company is betting that you will not.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:07 PM   #15

USWC warranty company

Let me just say that everyone has their own experiences and opinions about extended warranties... there are a LOT of ripoffs out there. Also as someone else suggested there's a lot in the fine print. The best extended warranties are the 'exclusionary' policies... Google defines this as:
---------------------
Exclusionary Coverage is the highest level of coverage that a vehicle qualifies for once it is outside the manufacturer's coverage. This level of coverage will cover all components on the vehicle with some exceptions. For example, normal wear-and-tear items are not included which is the same for factory
---------------------
Most reputable warranty companies offer different levels of coverage... like 'stated coverage' policies, for example, which only cover what is on their list. Exclusionary Coverage covers anything EXCEPT what they exclude.

There are a number of reputable companies around... We have had excellent service from US Warranty Company out of Ohio. Not to be confused with uswarranty.com (which is lousy from what I heard), you want to go to www.uswceagle.com. And inquire about their different levels of coverage. The exclusionary Eagle Guardian is the one I recommend, and this company stands behind it 100% and does not try to weasel out of coverage. And they are accepted at a lot of shops too.. and even if the shop won't do the work and wait for payment, like a mobile tech, for example, you can check with your adjuster and most times you pay the tech and USWC will reimburse you. We have had their coverage on 3 RV's and wouldn't even consider anyone else.

As for the cost, a lot will depend on the age and mileage of your RV and how expensive a vehicle it was initially. As a for instance, I had a 5 year/100K Eagle Guardian plan with "engine delete" for my 2018 Sunseeker - only cost $1800 because the engine was not warrantied. Didn't need it cause Ford covers it for 5 years. And oh by the way, I sold it in less than a year with no claims and was refunded most of the $1800. Once our new Forester passes the one year mark and the Forest River one year factory warranty expires, I will definitely get another Eagle Guardian plan with "engine delete" on this rig. The peace of mind alone while on the road is easily worth the price.
2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:43 PM   #16
Dahagen

If you purchase an extended warranty, buy the version that lists what is NOT covered. The version that lists what IS covered doesn't cover the things that fail first, like slides and jacks. Example..my coach step failed (broken gears and cam) and needed replacement. The what IS covered only listed the motor and a gear, period. My what is NOT covered did not mention the step. I got the entire electric step replaced ($850) at no cost except deductable.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #17

I would skip them both. I had the sealant done and my nose still faded really bad, Buy some 303 (30674) Marine Fabric Guard and 303 (30320) Aerospace UV Protectant for less than $100 and do it yourself. To get my 5er in for work is a 6 to 10 week wait from RV Four Seasons here in CO and their service dept is bad.... I will never buy from them again!
43 feet
CoMaddMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:31 PM   #18

Quote:

Diane
Had this done on my first RV and swear by it. Never washed or waxed it for the 3 years I owned it and it looked like new. No fading and no black streaks. I did wash the nose of it once after a 5 week trip to get the bugs off. Came right off using a bug sponge and soapy water.
When buying the paint treatment and the extended warranty from the dealer don't settle for the initial price they quote you. They have a lot of room to move on their prices.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:15 PM   #19

We bought an extended warranty on our first new travel trailer - too quickly. The manufacturer's warranty covered the repairs we needed made. After that, when the extended would have kicked in, we didn't need it or items were not covered. Then we sold the darned TT, so someone else got the coverage. Now we do not buy one from the dealer and take time to get to know the unit first. Have never used the coating. Know you will enjoy that trailer, no matter what. Happy trails!
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:46 AM   #20

We didn’t get it on ours. If it doesn’t break the first few months, it’ll probably live a long and happy life. Even if say the fridge broke in year 3, I’d rather buy a better fridge.
dkazzed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time