Old 02-18-2015, 10:47 AM   #1

First Time TT purchase-Rockwood 2104S

We are seriously considering purchasing the mini-light 2104S after attending the RV show in Houston. We really liked the 2109S model with the smaller slide that had a 72" sofa, but there is no possibility of a murphy bed in this unit. Since the 2104S has the murphy bed (husbands' request), the U-shape dinette does not appeal to me (the wife). So, to compromise, we want to replace the u-shaped dinette with a jack-knife sofa. There is an $500 upcharge, but this arrangement adds more space and looks more "homey" and we both will have a couch! He isn't crazy about the table, (the display model was wobbly and heavy to put away).

Please comment and advise it there is something else to consider before we put the down payment tomorrow!!

Thank you in advance.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:52 AM   #2

Just remember you lose almost all outside storage with the murphy bed; that is why we got model without murphy bed. Just a thought.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #3

Also with the 2104S, when the slide is in, you might not be able to access pantry and refrigerator when travelling and you stop at lunch time. You might have to open slide to access.....
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2011(21) 2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:21 AM   #4

See if you can pass on the jack-knife and go with a regular sofa. You'll find them way more comfortable than a jack-knife. It's really just a matter of whether they are using the same fabric in one of the bigger units with a standard sofa. You could also have them delete the dinette altogether and then put in an RV reclining sofa or a pair of recliners or what have you to your liking provided it fits through the door!

Good luck and welcome to the gang!
Old 02-18-2015, 11:21 AM   #5

Yes, that was my concern about losing storage, but my husband is willing to lose the storage for the extra room inside. The back of the pickup truck will be used when needed.

Any thoughts about losing the dinette?
Old 02-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #6

Thanks geotex1 -- are you thinking of the 'leather-like' fabric? I do like that, but I don't think it is available in this model. I will check with the dealer and discuss the regular sofa over the jack-knife style. I am assuming that the murphy bed unit has the jack knife style.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalr View Post
Yes, that was my concern about losing storage, but my husband is willing to lose the storage for the extra room inside. The back of the pickup truck will be used when needed.

Both my wife and I have found the majority of dinettes useless in campers. Not comfortable, lousy legroom if tall like we are, and tables are never sturdy! We used to set up our EZ-UP screen room/shelter over the picnic tables at the CG just to be able to eat comfortably in any weather. Our new TT is a couples camper with an eat-at island and stools. We couldn't be happier and haven't "tented up" a picnic table since purchase! We comfortably eat indoors when it's raining now.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:36 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

If you don't like the dinette, definitely get the sofa. (We like it...perfect for eating and playing cards/games.)
6-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks geotex1 -- are you thinking of the 'leather-like' fabric? I do like that, but I don't think it is available in this model. I will check with the dealer and discuss the regular sofa over the jack-knife style. I am assuming that the murphy bed unit has the jack knife style.
No, not the "pleather." They have microfiber and terry cloth fabrics as well. We also don't care for the pleather. Had terry cloth is our former FR Shamrock hybrid and microfiber suede in our new Heritage Glen.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #10
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
I have a couple: We use our dinette for every meal we eat inside. When camping for an extended trip, it makes the trailer seem larger because you are moving from the seating area to the dining room to eat. Purely psychological but that counts for a lot when you're living small.
Also, dinette table adds prep space to augment counter top.
On our trailer, the dinette seats have storage underneath, one open to outside and inside. The other has open storage and a sliding drawer.

2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
210, first time, rockwood