Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2015, 10:47 AM   #1

First Time TT purchase-Rockwood 2104S

We are seriously considering purchasing the mini-light 2104S after attending the RV show in Houston. We really liked the 2109S model with the smaller slide that had a 72" sofa, but there is no possibility of a murphy bed in this unit. Since the 2104S has the murphy bed (husbands' request), the U-shape dinette does not appeal to me (the wife). So, to compromise, we want to replace the u-shaped dinette with a jack-knife sofa. There is an $500 upcharge, but this arrangement adds more space and looks more "homey" and we both will have a couch! He isn't crazy about the table, (the display model was wobbly and heavy to put away).

Please comment and advise it there is something else to consider before we put the down payment tomorrow!!

Thank you in advance.
macalr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:52 AM   #2

Just remember you lose almost all outside storage with the murphy bed; that is why we got model without murphy bed. Just a thought.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #3

Also with the 2104S, when the slide is in, you might not be able to access pantry and refrigerator when travelling and you stop at lunch time. You might have to open slide to access.....
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:21 AM   #4

See if you can pass on the jack-knife and go with a regular sofa. You'll find them way more comfortable than a jack-knife. It's really just a matter of whether they are using the same fabric in one of the bigger units with a standard sofa. You could also have them delete the dinette altogether and then put in an RV reclining sofa or a pair of recliners or what have you to your liking provided it fits through the door!

Good luck and welcome to the gang!
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:21 AM   #5

Yes, that was my concern about losing storage, but my husband is willing to lose the storage for the extra room inside. The back of the pickup truck will be used when needed.

Any thoughts about losing the dinette?
Old 02-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #6

Thanks geotex1 -- are you thinking of the 'leather-like' fabric? I do like that, but I don't think it is available in this model. I will check with the dealer and discuss the regular sofa over the jack-knife style. I am assuming that the murphy bed unit has the jack knife style.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalr View Post
Yes, that was my concern about losing storage, but my husband is willing to lose the storage for the extra room inside. The back of the pickup truck will be used when needed.

Both my wife and I have found the majority of dinettes useless in campers. Not comfortable, lousy legroom if tall like we are, and tables are never sturdy! We used to set up our EZ-UP screen room/shelter over the picnic tables at the CG just to be able to eat comfortably in any weather. Our new TT is a couples camper with an eat-at island and stools. We couldn't be happier and haven't "tented up" a picnic table since purchase! We comfortably eat indoors when it's raining now.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:36 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

If you don't like the dinette, definitely get the sofa. (We like it...perfect for eating and playing cards/games.)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks geotex1 -- are you thinking of the 'leather-like' fabric? I do like that, but I don't think it is available in this model. I will check with the dealer and discuss the regular sofa over the jack-knife style. I am assuming that the murphy bed unit has the jack knife style.
No, not the "pleather." They have microfiber and terry cloth fabrics as well. We also don't care for the pleather. Had terry cloth is our former FR Shamrock hybrid and microfiber suede in our new Heritage Glen.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #10
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
I have a couple: We use our dinette for every meal we eat inside. When camping for an extended trip, it makes the trailer seem larger because you are moving from the seating area to the dining room to eat. Purely psychological but that counts for a lot when you're living small.
Also, dinette table adds prep space to augment counter top.
On our trailer, the dinette seats have storage underneath, one open to outside and inside. The other has open storage and a sliding drawer.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:09 PM   #11

We have a large (but not U-shaped) dinette in our Rockwood PUP, and we love it. It seats four adults comfortably, and like awellis3, we have inside-to-outside storage beneath both benches. We have a stationary L-shaped couch in our unit, too, and yes, it really does make a difference when the "dining room" and "living room" are separate. We did have a little trouble with the dinette table wobbling, but we solved that with cane tips on opposite legs, and as they match pretty well, they're barely noticeable.
AshnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:22 PM   #12

We use our dinette for all inside meals. We also have a jack-knife sofa that is the most uncomfortable thing to sit on EVER. Considering yanking it out and putting in 2 recliners (someday). I use the table often for dinner prep, etc.

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:20 PM   #13

we have the 2104s. We keep it like it came. I love having the storage. No worries of something getting stolen. no loading and un loading the back of the truck with the items that could be kept in the storage. the dinette makes a decent bed for 2 guest. We didn't buy our camper to hang out in we bought it to travel in and see the sites. We prefer to cook and eat outside as much as possible. the dinette comes in handy to play cards or games at in bad weather also.
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:10 PM   #14

Thanks for all comments -- Now I really have a lot to think about. We are newbies, getting ready to retire, and have never done this type of traveling. So, this is a major decision. Our expectations are to cook/eat outdoors and are not really concerned about the extra sleeping space. Losing the pass-thru storage is a concern. If the choice is between a dinette and a booth-style -- I think I would choose the booth if possible. Putting a couch there may be nice, but this will cost more storage loss within the seats.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Thanks for all comments -- Now I really have a lot to think about. We are newbies, getting ready to retire, and have never done this type of traveling. So, this is a major decision. Our expectations are to cook/eat outdoors and are not really concerned about the extra sleeping space. Losing the pass-thru storage is a concern. If the choice is between a dinette and a booth-style -- I think I would choose the booth if possible. Putting a couch there may be nice, but this will cost more storage loss within the seats.
Hi again macalr, if that pass-thru storage is your break-point to concede dinette or sofa, understand that you will retain the storage under a jack-knife. I cannot tell you if they will automatically make it a full pass-thru vs exterior access with the jack-knife, but it's actually very easy to add doors to the front of the jack-knife platform yourself to have pass-thru.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:59 AM   #16

Just purchased a 2104 in January. Only used it 5 nights so far, but we love it. We find the dinette very useful, but we have already put the factory table in our garage storage. We replaced it with a round outdoor table we had bought at Home Depot. It's much lighter and slightly smaller, and folds up easily when not in use. We liked the idea of having a game table and a place to setup our laptops, as well as having the sofa for relaxing. As one member mentioned, it's hard to access the restroom or fridge with the slide in, but not a deal breaker. Good luck with your decision, you can make it work either way.
okiecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:14 PM   #17

Quote:
I was lurking until you mentioned the "R" word

What are your retirement plans? Are you planning on traveling? If so you may want to consider something that is not gigantic but more suited to long trips (our unit is a good example)

A lot of us have found that the "First" trailer we bought was outgrown in the first year of camping (YMMV) but since you are close to retirement it is something to consider (Exemplar: we are 2 years away from the R-event and are considering yet another upgrade because we are going to go 1/2 time & need the space)

if, OTOH, you are just going to occasionally camp...nevermind
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:09 AM   #18

We just bought a 2109s. We looked at your model but opted for the other. As older adults we wanted a real bed for our old backs. ;-) As for the sofa table we figure we will use that outside and we bought two storage cube ottomans with trays and we use those if we eat inside and we can really kick back when we watch a movie. We also wanted the outside storage area for chairs, fishing poles, tools, hoses, etc.
tstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:35 AM   #19
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Our expectations are to cook/eat outdoors...
The more days you spend camping, the ,more days of inclement weather you'll experience. It's one thing to plan a trip around a weekend forecasted to be suitable and quite another thing to be on the road for weeks at a time.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:36 AM   #20

Another comment on your experience (newbies, retirement):

They always say "buy your last trailer first," but most of us don't (can't) do that. And the main reason is lack of experience. You don't know what you're going to like or dislike until you've experienced it. So in my opinion, special ordering a TT might be a mistake, as you most likely will find that in a year or two or three you're going to want another one that's bigger, smaller, lighter, heavier, with slide, without slide, outside kitchen, no murphy bed, who knows???

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
210, first time, rockwood