Old 06-14-2016, 09:47 AM   #1

First timer purchasing tips

We are first timers and looking to purchase a new TT, most likely an Oasis 310k. Any purchasing/negotiation tips you could provide would be more than appreciated! Our local dealer only has that model in 2017's. We were hoping to grab a 2016 for a better price and there are some around, but not local. Can we negotiate a 2017 vs a 2016? I know non-local dealers can deliver, but there's an added expense there that may not make it worth the initial savings. Thanks everyone!

Old 06-14-2016, 10:31 AM   #2
Prime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jode246 View Post
We are first timers and looking to purchase a new TT, most likely an Oasis 310k. Any purchasing/negotiation tips you could provide would be more than appreciated! Our local dealer only has that model in 2017's. We were hoping to grab a 2016 for a better price and there are some around, but not local. Can we negotiate a 2017 vs a 2016? I know non-local dealers can deliver, but there's an added expense there that may not make it worth the initial savings. Thanks everyone!
First thing make sure your vehicle can safely tow the trailer. It's not all about your advertised tow rating. You also have to make sure that when you load your vehicle with passengers and gear, the added weight of the trailer tongue doesn't push you over your max payload.

Second, get a weight distribution hitch with sway control.

Third, do not sign anything until you look over every square inch of the trailer. Make the dealer demonstrate each and every system to prove that they work and have them fix any issues you find. Once you sign, you lose leverage and they can lose the motivation to help you.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
First thing make sure your vehicle can safely tow the trailer. It's not all about your advertised tow rating. You also have to make sure that when you load your vehicle with passengers and gear, the added weight of the trailer tongue doesn't push you over your max payload.

Second, get a weight distribution hitch with sway control.

Third, do not sign anything until you look over every square inch of the trailer. Make the dealer demonstrate each and every system to prove that they work and have them fix any issues you find. Once you sign, you lose leverage and they can lose the motivation to help you.
The weight calculations are my husband's department, but I wouldn't mind understanding it better. How do I go about adding that all up and comparing it to the advertised towing capacity (or maybe a more realistic number)
Old 06-14-2016, 10:54 AM   #4
Prime Member

Quote:
The weight calculations are my husband's department, but I wouldn't mind understanding it better. How do I go about adding that all up and comparing it to the advertised towing capacity (or maybe a more realistic number)
Ok, I'll use my truck and trailer as an example.

My truck has a maximum towing capacity of 10,000 lbs and a cargo capacity of 1700lbs. My trailer weighs about 7300lbs dry and about 8000lbs loaded. The tongue weighs about 900lbs when the trailer is loaded.

1700lbs - 900lbs = 800lbs left for passengers and stuff.

Three 200lb adults = 600lbs which now only leaves 200lbs for other stuff.

As you can see even though I'm 2000lbs below my maximum tow rating. I'm right at the limit of my truck's payload capacity. This is the largest and heaviest trailer I can tow safely. Anything more than this would require a bigger truck.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Ok, I'll use my truck and trailer as an example.

My truck has a maximum towing capacity of 10,000 lbs and a cargo capacity of 1700lbs. My trailer weighs about 7300lbs dry and about 8000lbs loaded. The tongue weighs about 900lbs when the trailer is loaded.

1700lbs - 900lbs = 800lbs left for passengers and stuff.

Three 200lb adults = 600lbs which now only leaves 200lbs for other stuff.

As you can see even though I'm 2000lbs below my maximum tow rating. I'm right at the limit of my truck's payload capacity. This is the largest and heaviest trailer I can tow safely. Anything more than this would require a bigger truck.

That was a big help, thank you! Hopefully I'm understanding correctly. Dodge says we can tow 7100, dry trailer is 5700 so we should be okay there after loading.

Then according to Dodge we have a cargo capacity of 1400 and hitch weight is advertised as 630 (how do I figure out what that'd be loaded?). Subtract our weight (I rounded up significantly) of around 500 and we have 270 left for stuff so we'd be at max but should be okay unless the loaded hitch weight is substantially higher?

Obviously we will talk to someone about this to verify before we do anything!
Old 06-14-2016, 12:33 PM   #6
Prime Member

Quote:
That was a big help, thank you! Hopefully I'm understanding correctly. Dodge says we can tow 7100, dry trailer is 5700 so we should be okay there after loading.

Then according to Dodge we have a cargo capacity of 1400 and hitch weight is advertised as 630 (how do I figure out what that'd be loaded?). Subtract our weight (I rounded up significantly) of around 500 and we have 270 left for stuff so we'd be at max but should be okay unless the loaded hitch weight is substantially higher?

Obviously we will talk to someone about this to verify before we do anything!
Without actually weighing the trailer, to be safe, assume that all your stuff in the trailer will add about 800lbs and 10% of the total trailer weight will be on the tongue.

So your loaded trailer weight will be about 6500lbs with a tongue weight of about 700lbs. Which will leave you about 700lbs for people and stuff in the TV. Of course these are all approximations. if you want actual numbers, load up the camper and your TV just as if you were going camping then take them to the scales that alot of truck stops have and weigh it.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:20 PM   #7

Quote:
I would totally go for the prior year model. I did that a year and a half ago at a dealer. There was a 2014 sitting right next to a 2015 that were identical in fit and feature. The 2014 was almost 6000 dollars cheaper when negotiating. It's the same factory warranty for a product that has never left the lot. I'd totally go after the 2016 and save the extra cash on a unit that is not "new to you" but brand new and never used. I don't think the dealer would play the 16 vs the 17 game other than to tell you that they have several people interested in the 16 at a lower price. If you have a tow vehicle, make sure you are good on weight to tow it. If you have to buy a tow vehicle, get pictures of the yellow sticker on the trailer to make sure you have the exact weights of the trailer. Shop around for hitches, or if you feel adventurous, negotiate the hitch into the sale...some places will throw them into the transaction as a "freebie". It won't really be free, you will still pay for a portion of it somehow it will just appear free to you!

I even bought a model year leftover tow vehicle the month after I bought the camper....saved a lot of money the as well.

Remember that the dealer exists to separate you from your money. The more money you can keep in your pocket at the end of the transaction, the better off you are!

Can't stress this part enough, when you do purchase be prepared for your delivery inspection. There are great checklist available on this forum for you to use as a tool. Make the dealer check everything, ask a ton of questions, and do not take the unit off the lot if there appears to be something that needs tone fixed. Not that it becomes your problem since you are backed by the warranty but it puts you in a position where you have to make a service appointment and often it seems that trailers get held captive when they go in for service.

Oh, and if you something ask a question on this forum. The people here are incredibly friendly and helpful.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:48 PM   #8

jode246, first congrats on the decision to join the fun of RVing. I think the other guys have the weight questions working for you, so I will comment on another topic, important when selecting a new TT (travel trailer). We purchased our first in 2014 and have been very pleased with how it towed, overall quality, and durability. However, we are now looking for a 5th wheel in the 40' range and have developed a list of several "deal breakers" that the RV must have or we don't buy it.

Here are some items for you to be aware of when purchasing, if you are going to be camping for an extended time (1,2 weeks or longer):
  • You will need to insure there is enough storage space in the kitchen for dishes, glasses, utensils, pots and pans. We were okay on that part although we really didn't look for it. (We were too googly-eyed with the pretty trailer)
  • Next, how large of pantry does the RV have? Does it even have one? Again, our Windjammer HAS a pantry, albeit skinny and deep, but some trailers have NONE! Beware! Where will you put your food; this is especially important if you have children camping with you.
  • Refrigerator - the majority of under 36' TT nowadays have the 7-8 cubic foot refrigerator. If you are going to camp for more than a few days you might consider a TT with a larger 12 cubic foot refrigerator. Or at least figure out where you will put the cooler of extra food.
  • Look throughout the RV to see where they have put electric outlets. Make sure you have enough in the kitchen to plug in the coffee pot and toaster at the same time. Check for outlets near the bed for electric blanket controls also; those are important to some of us.
  • Does the bath have a storage area for towels? The DW (dear wife) and I are amazed at how many do not have any linen cabinet. Zero. Medicine cabinet yes, about 5" deep, but figure out where you are going to put towels and wash cloths for your family.
And, like the others have commented, DO take your time and look over every single aspect of the RV before you sign the dotted line. The dealer is way quicker getting issues resolved that you found if they still own the RV, but can sell it when they are fixed!

It is fun and a great way to enjoy the USA! Don't fret, but do your homework, know what weight is safe, check your tires often (another whole topic). Do a search here in the forum for any information you need, and you will find it...I did.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:56 PM   #9

ill add on the weight thing, DONT believe the dealer if they can tell you youll be fine towing something, check on your own, most dealers are there to sell campers, once you sign, its yours its not their problem anymore. also factor into cost and good weight distribution hitch , sway control and brake controller, that sutff can easily add 1k to your costs.
Make sure you really look at it and love the floor plan, if you get it and then next year dont like it you will lose your ***** on trading it in and its sometimes hard to sell a newer expensive unit on your own.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:12 PM   #10

Remember also to add your weight dist. hitch to your max cargo figures if you need one. It could be about 100lbs. Good Luck with your purchase.

It's a nice night for an evening
woodpile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time