Old 09-07-2015, 05:50 PM   #1

Forester hydraulic leveling system

I'm trying to get the price of a new Forester down closer to where I need it.
The hydraulic leveling system is almost a $2800 adder. When I first started shopping it was on my must have list along with full body paint.
But when I ask myself why I have to have it I don't have a good answer other than conveinence. Most places we go to or have been are level for the most part and I have to do minimal amount of blocking to get it within a half a bubble or so.

I have strong leanings to the Forester but they are about $13,000 higher than a very similar Jayco Grey Hawk with the hydraulic levelers.
I'm having a hard time convincing myself that some of the things I like about the Forester over the Grey Hawk are worth $13,000.

So are the levelers worth having and how reliable are they? Or as my wife says just something else to go wrong.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:22 PM   #2

We live in south-central Missouri and took over a year to compare and price out competition. We ended up doing a special order Forester and drove up to the north side of Chicago to pick it up! Don't settle for your dealer's bottom dollar if you can drive to get what you want. Levelers are a must for us after having used blocks/planks for years. If you don't intend on traveling much, then leave the levelers out, but they sure are handy for many reasons, including having to re-level after rain, settling, whatever.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:00 PM   #3

I've considered traveling to another dealer but warranty work will be a issue. As it is this dealer is 2 hours away and I'm certain if I buy else where they won't do the warranty work. I don't want to be driving several states away to have warranty work done.

RVW has a good price but don't take trades. I'm waiting out this vibration issue before I order anything any how so I have time to work on things.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up North View Post
RVW has a good price but don't take trades. I'm waiting out this vibration issue before I order anything any how so I have time to work on things.
Hi,

I bought my MH through RVW as well. I was up in the air about the levelers and full body paint but the discounted price from RVW made it easier to say yes. A local dealer in my area told me the levelers could easily be added later at a modest cost of $5500!

I will camp at a lot of campgrounds where the terrain is not level so I thought they would be a nice addition. The full body paint is just further protection from the elements.

As for service, I have heard enough horror stories about the work dealers do, so I will gladly pocket the large discount I got from RVW and will work exclusively with Independents. RVW has formulated their service policy to include independents and I have faith that I will be able to work through RVW and local RV repair facilities to get work done if and when I need it.

Check with independents in your area and see if any are doing warranty work for Forest River now. You can also check with RVW to see who they have worked with in your area.

I am waiting for the vibration issue to be resolved as well, but as far as I know my coach is done and waiting for the fix.

Good luck,

Scott
Old 09-07-2015, 08:05 PM   #5

I like everything about RVW except the no trade in issue. I hate selling things like cars and rv's myself. I don't have the patience for it. Besides this is a bad time of year to trying to move a rv in my neck of the woods.
A friend of mine has a RV repair biz and has his shop about 5 miles from me. RVW even offered to call him and set him up as a authorized repair shop.

I don't necessarily like the idea of giving up options to get what appears to be a over inflated price down to where I'm comfortable with it.
Wife and I are going to the Jayco dealer in two weeks to look at his inventory. He won't have exactly what we want as that would be a custom order but I can get a idea of what I will be getting.
Going to the Forester dealer the following week end. Maybe once I'm sitting across the desk from the guy he will soften his price to get me to commit.

Or maybe I'll get frustrated enough to just stick with what I have.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #6

I have a SunSeeker, went to Goshen and got a deal on Equalizer Levelers installed for a show price of $2995.00 + tax installed. Best investment I made to RV!
Old 09-08-2015, 04:52 PM   #7

Levelers

Skip the full body paint($$$$$) and get the levelers. Levelers are not only great for leveling but for stability. Without levelers it feels like you are in a boat every time someone walks around in the motorhome. I find that they work best in manual mode.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:04 PM   #8

I love my levelers and wouldn't consider having a rig without them now. It saves me from having to run the tires up on blocks to level side to side and I don't have to remember to pick up the blocks after pulling off. I used to forget them with my old rig. My body is getting older and not having to get on my knees for anything to do with leveling is fantastic.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:14 PM   #9

I would also skip the full body paint and go with the levelers. What about going to the Hershey RV show in Hershey/Harrisburg, PA--the largest show in the US. You may be able to negotiate the price you want.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Skip the full body paint($$$$$) and get the levelers. Levelers are not only great for leveling but for stability. Without levelers it feels like you are in a boat every time someone walks around in the motorhome. I find that they work best in manual mode.
Wife just said the same thing. Full body paint for either FR or Jayco is over $5 grand. I guess we will have a better idea of what we want/need after visiting both dealers over the next few weeks.
So what is the standard exterior these days? Gel coat with vinyl decals I assume? Have they done anything to improve the graphics or gel coats over the years? My Coachmen is ten years old and the graphics are faded and starting to peel and the lower body by the compartments where it is painted a darker color has the streaky white powder like substance on it all the time. This is what I want to avoid.
We are not in Arizona or Florida where we get the beating sun all day everyday.

Tags
forester, hydraulic, leveling