Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
FR 2nd year warranty-what's covered

Due to p/u a new Wildcat 282RKX fifth wheel in several weeks and am getting pushed for extended warranty from dealer. I have told them I will go with the FR 2nd year warranty. There response was that "you get what you pay for" and then went on to tell me what it will not cover, slide seals, service calls, tires etc.

Has anyone had to deal with any of these issues during the second year warranty?

Starting to get a little uneasy about this deal. They also were saying that the quoted rate on the loan will expire next week and they could overnight the paperwork for me to sign to save the current rate. Told them I have never bought a car without talking it for a ride, and would sign when the PDI was complete. I was also told that they do the PDI and what I get is a basic walk through. Not a happy camper, this is our first RV of any type.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #2

Go to another Dealer! The (2nd)year F/R Warr. covers the same as the first year! If they start out lying it will only get Worse! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The first post in this thread has a pdf of the warrenty for the second year and what is covered. It is true that service calls and tires are not covered. Service meaning regular maintenance, I assume.

It is not unusual for lenders to have an end period for a quoted rate. My suggestion is to go to your local credit union or bank and ask for a quote.

I would not lock into anything before taking ownership of a trailer.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #4

I purchased the 2nd year. My understanding is extends the bumper to bumper for a second year.
whitmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:06 PM   #5

You can't go wrong with the 2nd year warranty.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #6

I inquired about the 2nd year warranty offered by FR when I signed up for our new Windjammer 2618W (still approx. 2 months until delivery). I believe it was only $150 and my dealer told me I would purchase it directly from FR if I wanted it, not from them.
He wasn't trying to sell me on any extended warranty that they were offering. He did go on to say he wouldn't recommend FR's extra year warranty very highly as it's certainly not "bumper-to-bumper" as you and I would interprete the phrase. He said it covers only the build that FR supplies on the base trailer; ie. no appliances (fridge, A/C, oven, etc.) are covered; no tires; no ceiling fans or their covers; no service call costs. I do agree with what he said "that most issues, if any, would become apparent during the first year" and your $150 could be better spent elsewhere.
rockininwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #7

Amazing how a dealers true colors start to come out once they have your deposit in hand.

I would not sign anything until you have had the opportunity to check over the unit. Don't believe me, do a search and read all the horror stories already written from those who have done so.

The FR Warranty for year 2 is the same for year 1. Also many aftermarket extended warranties don't over things like slide seals or basic wear items. Many are not worth the paper they are written on.

Good Luck, not with your Wildcat but with your dealer, they sound like real winners.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #8
10x

For 150 bucks its worth it.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:05 PM   #9

I called FR personally and asked, according to the lady I spoke with it's an extension of the factory first year warranty and covers everything just the same. Including appliances.

It's a gamble like anything else, be informed, roll the dice and take your chances. Hopefully, it's there when needed. Like all insurance, hopefully it's not needed.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockininwpg View Post
I inquired about the 2nd year warranty offered by FR when I signed up for our new Windjammer 2618W (still approx. 2 months until delivery). I believe it was only $150 and my dealer told me I would purchase it directly from FR if I wanted it, not from them.
He wasn't trying to sell me on any extended warranty that they were offering. He did go on to say he wouldn't recommend FR's extra year warranty very highly as it's certainly not "bumper-to-bumper" as you and I would interprete the phrase. He said it covers only the build that FR supplies on the base trailer; ie. no appliances (fridge, A/C, oven, etc.) are covered; no tires; no ceiling fans or their covers; no service call costs. I do agree with what he said "that most issues, if any, would become apparent during the first year" and your $150 could be better spent elsewhere.
Good luck with your dealer replacing the entire side of your Windjammer for (150.00$) that you saved by taking His advice! Youroo!!
Old 03-04-2014, 10:09 PM   #11

When we purchased our 2014 Salem DBUD 2 weeks ago we told the dealership we did not want an extended warranty and the finance person then proceeded to tell us about the 2nd year warranty that is available through FR which we had planned on purchasing anyway even if the dealer did not offer it to us. Thought it was pretty good of them not to push the costly extended warranty but offer the 2nd year to us, check to FR for $150 was in the mail the following week. This is also the 2nd time in four years we have used this dealership and warranties are not pushed by them
cvsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmw View Post
I purchased the 2nd year. My understanding is extends the bumper to bumper for a second year.
This is a true statement, My second year from FR ran out the 9th of feb. My trailer is now at the dealer getting a break issue and a new topper put on. I have never been turned down in the 2nd year for anything you can not beat it anywhere. Like I said I'm past my date and it is still being covered by FR. I'm sure this will be the last time, but you just can't beat it for the price or for the service they give you....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:13 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
I was also told that they do the PDI and what I get is a basic walk through.
Technically this is true. As consumers, we've adopted the term- but technically it is the dealer who is supposed to do the "Pre-Delivery Inspection" before the camper is delivered to the buyer. What we get is a walk-through.

BUT- I wouldn't fly with it being a basic walk-through; especially for a newbie to the RVing world. I came from a pop-up, so I didn't have 90% of the systems that a big camper had when I bought this fifth wheel. My PDI lasted 2-3 hours and we literally went from the front of the camper to the back of the camper twice. I took a "PDI Checklist" with me to ensure that I hit as many things as possible.

And, I didn't sign any papers for them until the "walk through" was complete. Honestly, if I had to do it again- I would have planned on the actual paper signing a week later so that they had to fix the issues before I owned the camper. But, we had trips planned and it was the middle of summer- such is life.

As for the second year warranty, at $150 - it's hard to turn down. The wording that I was given for it is "bumper to bumper". I had a toilet replaced after the 1 year was up during a factory visit (though that was its own can of worms). And, we'll see what comes up when I start camping this year. Dealers don't like it because the check is written directly to Forest River- they don't make a penny on it.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:41 PM   #14

And why, yoaroo, would I (or anyone) be having to replace "the entire side" of a trailer?
Old 03-05-2014, 06:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockininwpg View Post
And why, yoaroo, would I (or anyone) be having to replace "the entire side" of a trailer?
If you look in History there were (Many) Windjammers that the Factory had to replace the (Sides) on because of (Cracks above slides)! I know one Member personally who had his sides replaced(After) the first year! He had the (2nd) year Warr.(150.00$) They removed the ROOF and replaced (BOTH) side walls! He is sure glad he had the (2nd year-150.00$) Warr. Youroo!!
Old 03-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #16

The second year Forest River warranty covers the same as the first. The salesperson who told you "you get what you pay for" likely wanted to get the up to 50% commission on the sale of the third party extended warranty/service contract. Shame on them!
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
I purchased----------------

I purchased the second year warranty and was glad I did. It more than paid for the $150.00 that it cost me. Most appliances , Hot water tank,, fridge, ac, have a two year warranty. Some gaskets on bump outs were replaced along with the kitchen sink, shower water fixture and other items.
If the offer were made to me again I would take it in a heartbeat. You can not go wrong. One misplaced screw in a wall to cause de-lamination is a large cost for repair.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #18

Here's a copy of the latest 2nd year warranty application (Rhonda at FR sent it to me this morning). It's a 2010 revision, but it's coverage details are no different than the 2008 revision available elsewhere in the forum. However, there are a few prices added (on the 2nd page) for some extra trailer models that I didn't see in the 2008 revision.
I'll be speaking with my salesman at our local RV show this weekend as to why he told me only the "base build" of the trailer would be covered. He didn't try to sell me their 3rd party extended warranty, but just thinking... if any service is going to be required during the 2nd year, I'd have to turn to them as they're the only Rockwood rep. in the region and I'm sure their $120/hr shop rate is more than the piece-work rate that Rockwood would compensate them for warranty jobs. But maybe I'm just being cynical...
Thanks for your advice Youroo!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OPP w price sheet.pdf (331.1 KB, 79 views)
Old 03-05-2014, 09:58 PM   #19

I`de rather pay $150 for a 2nd year warranty (that would be 2 total years) than pay $1500 (approx.) for a 3 year warranty (that would only technically be 2 years after the first year runs out). so the savings of $1350 is significant enough to say no thanks. and I`m sure that $1500 is 50% more than what the actual warranty company charges. the dealer makes big money on aftermarket service contract/warranty sales!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:14 PM   #20
Always Learning

Any Forest River authorized repair facility can do the work.

Tags
cover, warranty