Old 03-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
FR 2nd year warranty-what's covered

Due to p/u a new Wildcat 282RKX fifth wheel in several weeks and am getting pushed for extended warranty from dealer. I have told them I will go with the FR 2nd year warranty. There response was that "you get what you pay for" and then went on to tell me what it will not cover, slide seals, service calls, tires etc.

Has anyone had to deal with any of these issues during the second year warranty?

Starting to get a little uneasy about this deal. They also were saying that the quoted rate on the loan will expire next week and they could overnight the paperwork for me to sign to save the current rate. Told them I have never bought a car without talking it for a ride, and would sign when the PDI was complete. I was also told that they do the PDI and what I get is a basic walk through. Not a happy camper, this is our first RV of any type.

2014 CR-V EX-L w/Nav & Blue Ox & Ready Brute Elite

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #2

Go to another Dealer! The (2nd)year F/R Warr. covers the same as the first year! If they start out lying it will only get Worse! Youroo!!

Old 03-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The first post in this thread has a pdf of the warrenty for the second year and what is covered. It is true that service calls and tires are not covered. Service meaning regular maintenance, I assume.

It is not unusual for lenders to have an end period for a quoted rate. My suggestion is to go to your local credit union or bank and ask for a quote.

I would not lock into anything before taking ownership of a trailer.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #4

I purchased the 2nd year. My understanding is extends the bumper to bumper for a second year.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:06 PM   #5

You can't go wrong with the 2nd year warranty.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #6

I inquired about the 2nd year warranty offered by FR when I signed up for our new Windjammer 2618W (still approx. 2 months until delivery). I believe it was only $150 and my dealer told me I would purchase it directly from FR if I wanted it, not from them.
He wasn't trying to sell me on any extended warranty that they were offering. He did go on to say he wouldn't recommend FR's extra year warranty very highly as it's certainly not "bumper-to-bumper" as you and I would interprete the phrase. He said it covers only the build that FR supplies on the base trailer; ie. no appliances (fridge, A/C, oven, etc.) are covered; no tires; no ceiling fans or their covers; no service call costs. I do agree with what he said "that most issues, if any, would become apparent during the first year" and your $150 could be better spent elsewhere.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #7

Amazing how a dealers true colors start to come out once they have your deposit in hand.

I would not sign anything until you have had the opportunity to check over the unit. Don't believe me, do a search and read all the horror stories already written from those who have done so.

The FR Warranty for year 2 is the same for year 1. Also many aftermarket extended warranties don't over things like slide seals or basic wear items. Many are not worth the paper they are written on.

Good Luck, not with your Wildcat but with your dealer, they sound like real winners.

2015 Day/Nights Camped 5
2014 Day/Nights Camped 29
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #8
10x

For 150 bucks its worth it.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:05 PM   #9

I called FR personally and asked, according to the lady I spoke with it's an extension of the factory first year warranty and covers everything just the same. Including appliances.

It's a gamble like anything else, be informed, roll the dice and take your chances. Hopefully, it's there when needed. Like all insurance, hopefully it's not needed.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockininwpg View Post
I inquired about the 2nd year warranty offered by FR when I signed up for our new Windjammer 2618W (still approx. 2 months until delivery). I believe it was only $150 and my dealer told me I would purchase it directly from FR if I wanted it, not from them.
He wasn't trying to sell me on any extended warranty that they were offering. He did go on to say he wouldn't recommend FR's extra year warranty very highly as it's certainly not "bumper-to-bumper" as you and I would interprete the phrase. He said it covers only the build that FR supplies on the base trailer; ie. no appliances (fridge, A/C, oven, etc.) are covered; no tires; no ceiling fans or their covers; no service call costs. I do agree with what he said "that most issues, if any, would become apparent during the first year" and your $150 could be better spent elsewhere.
Good luck with your dealer replacing the entire side of your Windjammer for (150.00$) that you saved by taking His advice! Youroo!!

Tags
cover, warranty