Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
"Don't Tread on Me"

Unhappy FR Extended Warranty Issue

I bought my Rockwood 8329SS in Oct. Thanks to the Forum I learned of $150 extended warranty that FR has. The dealer never mentioned it. Thanks again to a Forum member I got the number to FR Customer Service. I just got off the phone with the Forest River warranty dept. No luck. They told me it was in the all the paperwork that comes with the unit. They wouldn't help a new owner out. Even if I did just buy the unit in Oct. I pride myself on the fact that I always read the owner's manual for everything I buy. I guess I missed that part. You would think FR would want to help out their new customers..?. Thanks for letting me vent.
So if you are buying or have purchased a FR unit recently, you have 30 days to act or be out of luck like me.
Rockwood Roo 235S
2002 F-250 7.3 Diesel Powerstroke Powerhouse
Chipped, Bank's Exhaus
t - "Bad to the Bone"
sgtsdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

That seems a little harsh. I'm sure that there's been many examples of owners on this forum applying for the second year of warranty many months after purchase without an issue.

Come on FR...what's with that!

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
"Don't Tread on Me"

I thought so too. But the lady I talked with was kinda short and to the point. It didn't matter that the Dealer never mentioned it. She just said that FR would be able to help me. Not sure who I could appeal to.
Rockwood Roo 235S
Chipped, Bank's Exhaus
t - "Bad to the Bone"
Old 01-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #4

Umm, yup ! Many many months later indeed ! And they should not discount the fact that some purchasers do NOT find the warranty paper in the paper work included with the trailer. That is WHY we have it uploaded online.

Come on FR, do it right for a new purchaser, we know you are better than this !
Old 01-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #5

When we purchased our unit the F/R 2nd Year had to be paid for in (10) days. Our Dealer was a (GOOD) dealer. Yes I have heard of many people getting the 2nd year way after that ,but never saw the paperwork. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

You could try appealing to Douglas Fought, who is the Rockwood warranty manager. His email is dfought@forestriverinc.com.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #7

When we picked up our Rockwood there was no form with it to fill out either. There was a thread on this site that gave the web site to go to and print the form needed. I'm positive I did mine more then 10 days afteer the purchase but within the first 2 months.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #8

Although I consider my dealer a good place to do business with, (bought last 2 campers from them) salesguy never mentioned FR's second year option and there was nothing in the paperwork. They did however talk to us about some other expensive aftermarket plan. Service guy doing the PDI did mention it. Because I visited and read this forum before purchasing our Sabre I knew about the 2nd year warranty. I called FR warranty dept about 3 weeks after we took possesion and got the whole thing done over the phone. Paperwork was sent back to me within a week. October to now might be a stretch but c'mon FR, give the guy a break.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #9

I didn't find out about the 2nd year warranty until about a month after purchase. I just downloaded the form and sent it in with a check. I figured it would be harder for them to turn me down since they had my check in hand. Sure enough, a week or so later I received my approved form back with no questions asked.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
"Don't Tread on Me"

Thanks to everyone for help and input. I'm drafting a letter to Mr. Fought as I respond to this. I'll let you what happens. It just seems to me that if RF had enough faith in their products to offer a second year warranty for only $150, it wouldn't matter under the these circumstances. Maybe someone from FR will read this.
Rockwood Roo 235S
Chipped, Bank's Exhaus
t - "Bad to the Bone"
Old 01-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #11
Camper Less Camping

You think ALL Dealers would make it protocol to make sure they instruct and review the FR warranty form with you.

But most won't forget to tell you about their pricey extended warranty programs...I see $$$$!

Fortunately, I bought our latest camper from a small Dealer who did not push any extended warranty program AND on the day of the sale, had my FR 2nd year warranty form already filled out with the generic info, I just had to fill my info in and mail with check...that's being on top of things!

Old 01-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #12
"Don't Tread on Me"

That is definitely Customer Service ! I just sent my appeal letter to Mr. Fought. Hopefully he still has some Christmas spirit left.
Rockwood Roo 235S
Chipped, Bank's Exhaus
t - "Bad to the Bone"
Old 01-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #13

I learned of the 2nd year for $150 from this forum prior to my buying my fifth wheel last February and when I mentioned it to the dealer, they stated that they knew nothing about it and tried to sell me an extended warranty for several thousand dollars. I called the warranty department for V-Cross and they told me that the dealers are not required to tell you about it!
I got the form from a linc that was provided by someone on this forum and sent it to Forest River with a check for $150 and they signed the form and sent it back to me within a week.
It is my understanding that the dealers receive about 50% of the cost of extended warranties as a commission?
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #14

Our Rockwood came with the 2nd year warranty. The dealership we used buys the 2nd year warranty on all FR products. For 150$ they should all just add it into the price imo.

2016 Silverado 2500HD Z71 | Duramax | Crew LTZ
NMWHITIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #15
"Don't Tread on Me"

Great news Mr. Fought came thru for me. Just purchased my 2nd year warranty over the phone! Thanks to everyone for your input and help. Special thanks to Dave & Monica for help with getting me in touch with Mr. Fought. My faith is restored in FR.
Rockwood Roo 235S
Chipped, Bank's Exhaus
t - "Bad to the Bone"
Old 01-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #16
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtsdj View Post
Great news Mr. Fought came thru for me. Just purchased my 2nd year warranty over the phone! Thanks to everyone for your input and help. Special thanks to Dave & Monica for help with getting me in touch with Mr. Fought. My faith is restored in FR.
Great news! I am glad it all worked out for you. It's also nice to reaffirm the quality of customer care available through FR and the quality of help one can get from here on FRF.

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #17

FR is an awesome company ! You just have to get in touch with the right people ! I am glad it all worked out and you got your second year warranty !
Old 01-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #18

Congrats on getting your 2nd warranty issue resolved. It's nice to hear that FR did right by you.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #19
rip

With my Windjammer order due in weeks, I'm glad to see FR came thru for you. I honestly thought they would.

Right after delivery, I plan to order the recommended year-two, it's on my to-do list. I thought I'd wait and see if my dealer includes it (great dealer), mentions it (good dealer) or pushes a private extended insurance plan (disappointing dealer).

Many thanks to the volunteers on this forum for all your help and advice.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #20

I'm having the same issue with Puma I purchased my new RV in May 2012 and never learned of the extended warranty until recent and the warranty dept denied me .. Any advise or number / emails to contact ???

Well good luck with your issue and will be following
Pullingpete is offline   Reply With Quote