Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2016, 10:58 PM   #21

Thanks for all the tips. At 9mpg I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything veterans would consider standard. Obviously it isn't a cheap hobby but if I can save a few bucks for doing nothing more than using the correct cards or going to certain stations I will. Its got a cruising range of approximately 800 miles so with a little planning we should be good. Thanks again everyone!

2 RV Trips to date
19 States
2016 Dynamax Force HD
ablarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:31 PM   #22

We have a cruiser as well as the RV and generally must fuel on waterways.
  1. Premium pricing
  2. 1mpg if slow, 10mph
  3. Happy to be able to fuel.
  4. Chicago is about 300 gallons from home!
Getting 9+mph at 60mph anywhere there is a line on a map makes fuel costs a second thought. 1st thought is easy in and out.
It is the experience, not the cost. If you can't afford the cost you can't enjoy the experience. You don't have to travel far to have the experience. jmo
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:28 AM   #23

That's me I just keep the tank full, when I leave this world I only take memories. I went camping when diesel was $4.00 a gallon, I just keep the tank full. Have fun, if you are worried about fuel mileage you have the wrong hobby. Granted I don't speed, I take it slow, mostly back roads

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:10 PM   #24

Today in Tallahassee the Flying J was 34 cents higher than Wal-mart ! I saved enough to take my family out to eat and a movie ? Cheap meal and a rental movie !
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:48 AM   #25

I just drive 60 to 65 mph when pulling and get an average of 12.6 mpg with the 2012 Chevy Silverdado 3500HD, towing a Heritage Glen 276RLIS.

I carry a minimal amount of potable water to flush the toilet on the trip.

How do you travel light with two adult women?
41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:41 PM   #26

http://rving.how/gas-mileage-of-your-rv/

2 RV Trips to date
19 States
2016 Dynamax Force HD
ablarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:14 AM   #27

We have a Walmart credit card for fuel only. It normally saves me 5 cents per gallon and during some periods 10 cents plus in most cases are the lowest price.. Most carry diesel as well. And they are normally located near the interstates. sometime hard to get into with big rigs.
1SG(Ret) (1987) US Army Aviation

Days/Nights Camped 2016: 34
dogwood36322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:54 PM   #28

I take a 5 gallion fuel can and use the middle grade. My 2500 goes about 60 further. Hate stopping. Check out the temp authorizations on flying J.. it's not a dollar, but $150.00 temp.

2017 Mini Lite 2506S front kitchen

2018 GMC Sierra 1500
labcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:10 PM   #29

I go where i think i get good Fuel , Shell amco , Exon . some of the off brand gas stations have off brand gas also . saving a dollar or two isn't worth getting bad gas
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:43 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
I go where i think i get good Fuel , Shell amco , Exon . some of the off brand gas stations have off brand gas also . saving a dollar or two isn't worth getting bad gas
I lived near an area where several of the major companies had a refinery. They would have different blends of detergents and other additives. The small companies and independents do not have a refinery. They called and got the best price from the majors and it would be delivered in a generic tanker ALMOST every time. So the less expensive may get Shell this time, BP next time, and another next.

At times one octane rating or another was low so whatever the most inventory was substituted, up or down. When was the last time a station was checked? If caught ~~ the delivery guy made a mistake. The number one rule is to buy where there is a high turnover.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:57 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I lived near an area where several of the major companies had a refinery. They would have different blends of detergents and other additives. The small companies and independents do not have a refinery. They called and got the best price from the majors and it would be delivered in a generic tanker ALMOST every time. So the less expensive may get Shell this time, BP next time, and another next.

At times one octane rating or another was low so whatever the most inventory was substituted, up or down. When was the last time a station was checked? If caught ~~ the delivery guy made a mistake. The number one rule is to buy where there is a high turnover.
But the major companies always get their blend of gas . off brand it's take your chances . i'll never fill at walmarts costco , etc i know walmarts gas is bad as in the past i've used them and have had poor mpg when i've done so . so never again .same with the city markets and other grocers
Old 07-11-2016, 10:05 AM   #32

I worked in an oil refinery many years ago. At the final processing unit where gas was put in fuel tankers for delivery, there was one output pipe. Everyone got the same fuel regardless the brand name on the fuel truck, and we had all major gas brand trucks get gas. I doubt the oil refineries go to the time and expense to make different qualities of gas for different customers.
My two cents....

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #33

That's why you get bad gas because it's all the same . I do know the different blends and not all gas is created equal . i really don't care what others use but i know what works for me and my truck
Old 07-11-2016, 03:30 PM   #34

AAA claims in a study that there is a difference in internal engine deposits depending on whether or not you use a "Tier 1" gasoline. According to the study, there is some differences in the additives.

Costco only sells Tier 1 gas. Exxon also. Since I buy gas mainly at Costco I did not pay much attention to the rest of the list, but did notice at least one other non-major brand. I did notice Shell was not there.

Companies buying from refineries spec out an order, either from the refinery's specs or on their own. Additives can be added at/by the refinery or at a fuel storage/transfer location.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:17 PM   #35

The closer to the Interstate the higher the prices. Today at Ocalo Flying J their price was 46 cents higher than down the road one mile . I fail to see how driving around in a crowded truck stop is easier than pulling into a Handi-way .I only bought 31 gallons but I saved enough to buy 5 1/2 gallons . Oh I see , if ya got the Good Sam Card ya save three cents a gallon . I kinda pull trailers for a living , today I hitched up to three different hotshots . Oh boy , this Friday is my last day on the job and I will be pulling my new Work And Play down to Panacea for FISHIN !
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:23 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingbob View Post
The closer to the Interstate the higher the prices. Today at Ocalo Flying J their price was 46 cents higher than down the road one mile . I fail to see how driving around in a crowded truck stop is easier than pulling into a Handi-way .I only bought 31 gallons but I saved enough to buy 5 1/2 gallons . Oh I see , if ya got the Good Sam Card ya save three cents a gallon . I kinda pull trailers for a living , today I hitched up to three different hotshots . Oh boy , this Friday is my last day on the job and I will be pulling my new Work And Play down to Panacea for FISHIN !
About the same at Kingsland Ga. 2 stations across the street but no way was I getting in either with the 5er hitched. No place to drop the camper and would not take the time anyway. Using their card I think it is 9 cents on diesel.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:46 PM   #37

After a trip, figure out your average gas mileage and how much your average cost per gallon was. Then use those numbers to figure your total cost of you got one mile per gallon better, then check it for two mpg better, ETC.

Is it really enough to make a difference? After I did the numbers I didn't worry much about it after that.

I do continue to drive slower because that make the biggest difference in mileage and I am not in a hurry. I also feel that it is safer not to rush.
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:21 PM   #38

i check mpg at every fill up . if it changes a lot then it may alert me to a issues that has come up . in engine , tranny , tires etc . it's not about the cost it's about knowing what my tv and th are doing
Old 07-18-2016, 06:42 PM   #39

as I noted just this past weekend, a stiff tailwind upped my avg mpg about 2 MPG, while coming home in a light head wind it dropped back down and even lost about 1 MPG, while trying to maintain 62MPH

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:34 PM   #40

I don't worry about saving a few bucks on gas. We have a gasser TV and are usually stopping at interstate exits when we are hitched up, so I just look for truck stops, as even their gas pump area is usually big enough to get in and out with no problem.

A new Costco just opened by us here in Indianapolis, and they said they guarantee they will have the cheapest gas within a five-mile radius. There is a Wal Mart across the street from the Costco, so they seem to be up to the challenge. Of course, you have to be a Costco member to buy gas there.