Old 05-30-2016, 05:08 PM   #1
Fuel savings

Hello FR family
We are new to RVing so we thought we would seek help from some of you veteran campers.

What do you do to save money on fuel (diesel if it matters)? We were thinking about the "gas cards" that save you a few cents at each fill up, the Good Sam card (saves at Flying J), and then of course speed and tire pressure.

Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

ablarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:40 PM   #2
Travel with only necessary items, including water. It's all about saving weight.

The turtle wins the race, watch your speed. Keeping RPM's low as possible. This does not always work out, especially in the hills and mountains but on slight inclines if you try to keep it in a higher gear this will keep RPM's lower. You will lose a little speed though.

All that being said, if you're camping, you really can't expect fuel saving. Although anything you can helps I understand.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2016: 19 nights
Miles traveled in 2016: 2,575
uhduh camping is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:53 PM   #3
I have noticed that any one that offers a fuel card is usually more expensive to start with. We use gas buddy and locate a reasonable fuel station, we can find a cheaper per gallon station within a few exits and still fuel up at a quality station, I won't fill up at a non busy, back woods station, always something that will sell a lot of fuel. We keep our speed around 62-63mph also. I have tried it all, 5th gear, a little higher rpm, some say this helps, me, I keep it in 6th, usually gets into 6th just at 60ish. I set the cruise and let it eat.
2006 2500HD Duramax CCSB 2WD
2014 Crusader 285RET
Nights camped in 2013 - not enough!
Nights camped in 2014 37

Nights camped in 2015 40
Nights camped in 2016 35
Crusadernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:03 PM   #4
I just feed the beast. 1-2 mpg is about the only difference I can find by using different speeds etc. In the grand scheme of things it's just the cost of doing business...Not worth it to me to worry about it a lot. I'm not rich but I'm not going to sweat the small stuff. If this is the difference between going and staying home I have picked the wrong hobby..
2015 Chev Silverado 3500 dually D/A
2016 Cedar Creek 36CK
B&W Patriot 18K, Trail-Aire pinbox,
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:07 PM   #5
Do this; take some time and research best credit cards for cash back rewards. Credit card rewards programs vary widely, so it's best to have the cards at hand (i.e. fuel rewards) that give you, the consumer, the best edge. I'll get you started Best of the Rewards Cards
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:12 PM   #6
Flying J cards save you 3 cents/gal... nothing to sneeze at, but sometimes they are hard to find especially traveling off the interstate system... TN, AL and GA all have the cheapest fuel prices if your traveling in that I-75 or I-65 corridor to get south. Go slow and save fuel. Get the Flying J app and the Gas Buddy app for your smartphone to find cheap fuel.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 SLT Crew Cab HEMI 3.21 8 Spd 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:20 PM   #7
The stations that use gas cards also honor them for diesel. We only use the Good Sam card as we often stop at Flying J or Pilot. I'm more interested in fresh fuel in a place that is easy in/out for diesel with the 5er in tow than saving a few cents per gallon.
2016 Keystone Cougar 303RLS
2016 F350 diesel
Edgewater 205 EX 150 Yamaha
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:30 PM   #8
Most times the best prices on fuel will be a mile or so off of the interstates . Two weeks ago fuel in Ocala Fl Flying J was 49 cents higher priced than a busy Handi-way one mile over .
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:40 PM   #9
Most truck stops are higher along the interstates. Those 3 truck stops at SR 326 and I-75 in Ocala are notorious for high priced fuel. Just a few miles off the expressway usually will reward with a lower price. I try to plan my fuel stops based on my research and not sticker shock. I find the fuel cards are a joke because of the higher price to start. Save money by researching your fill up locations and gas buddy before you travel. Or if you spend the night a Walmarts, fill up there.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:45 PM   #10
In our rig, I find the convenience of a truck stop far out weighs the savings of a couple cents per gallon. Besides, I would burn an extra gallon or two just running around trying to save a couple dollars. I love Flying J stops etc.

Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote