Old 10-28-2014, 09:26 AM   #31

One thing we do is use the satellite views of gas stations or truck stops when we are trying to figure out where to fill up. We have also had good luck with the GasBuddy App.

We have a short bed F250 and a 38' TT, the truck only has a 26 gallon tank so getting diesel every few hundred miles is a constant pain. We look ahead and use GasBuddy to search for pricing of fuel and then the SAT view on the phone to see if we can get in the station. We have found diesel can vary up to 50 cents by just getting a little off the beaten path.

My next truck will be a long bed and have an additional in-bed tank so I can be north of 75 gallon capacity.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:10 AM   #32

We often stop at loves/flying j/ta, etc. truck stops but usually check "the next exit" on interstates as it marks rv sized stations in red for easy access and egress. Such stations usually have some other conviences nearby.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:30 PM   #33

I have a 2015 F250 super duty disel 26 gal fuel tank. Only get above 10 mpg with 34' cc. What are you getting mpg.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:30 PM   #34

About 10 mpg
Old 01-01-2015, 01:11 AM   #35

f250 mileage

Ram 2500 6.7, 2 wh drive, get 11 mpg at 64mph
X us from GA to AZ and back and east coast trips to FL.
Have not been to Colorado or west.

Your 10 is about right.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:01 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCreek5th View Post
I have a 2015 F250 super duty disel 26 gal fuel tank. Only get above 10 mpg with 34' cc. What are you getting mpg.
I have the same, it's a hassle having to stop so often and find a station. I wish I had put a 50 gallon tank in when I bought the truck.

My next truck will be a LB with a supplemental tank in the bed.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:51 PM   #37

Take a look at "Transfer-Flow" aux fuel tanks. They make low profile tanks for people with 5th wheels. They aren't cheap but they are the best and meet DOT standards and are tested not to leak fuel in an accident, a very safe system. They have a fuel system to keep fuel equalized in the aux tank and main tank. A pump moves fuel about every minute or so. They also make underbody aux tanks for some trucks. I used to sell them at a truck equipment dealer.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:56 PM   #38

Being a gaser with a small tank and lousy fuel mileage (6mpg), I have to be vigilant on my trip. I try to plan for stops that I've been to previously. But when I'm going to new places, I use the net and Google sat to help. I too start looking about 1/2 tank. I usually try for the end pump so I will have easy in and easy out. I also look to make sure I have a clear exit route before I pull in. My TV and TT are 45', so backing out will be my last option. I use both truck stops and gas stations.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:28 PM   #39

Since getting the fifth wheel and diesel tow beast, I usually fuel at truck stops if I am towing and need fuel. It is much easier getting in and out and I figure the fuel is much fresher. (Call me paranoid but when unhooked, I still try to avoid places that appear to be low volume diesel outlets)
If I am curious what I weigh I can hit the scales at the truck stops. (Cat scales =$10.50 for the first weigh)
I have never had an issue at any truck stop I have stopped at but wonder what the professional drivers think of us fueling there. I try to stay out of their way think that time is money to them.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:39 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
I have the same, it's a hassle having to stop so often and find a station. I wish I had put a 50 gallon tank in when I bought the truck.

My next truck will be a LB with a supplemental tank in the bed.

having a long bed truck, I was seriously considering putting an auxiliary tank in the bed of my truck RDS Vertical Diesel Fuel Transfer/Auxiliary Tank ó 45-Gallon, Model# 71083 | Auxiliary-Transfer Tanks| Northern Tool + Equipment until I weighed my truck. I am not sure that I would want to add another ~400# to my truck (45 gallons of diesel at 7.25#/gal + 86# tank)
I am still pondering the idea before we make a trip to Florida in March.

Tags
gas, truck